Minutes for February 2015

Minutes of the Parish Council meeting of Blewbury Parish Council
held on Wednesday 11th February 2015 at 7.30 pm in the Vale Room

Councillors present: Mr C Lakeland (Chairman)(CL), Mr R Farrell (RF), Ms J Gibson (JG), Mr B Cooper (BC), Mr B Morgan (BM), Mr M Shayler (MS)

Also present: Mrs Elaine de Ridder (clerk), Mr D Hollick (Lengthman), 4 members of the public

Matters resolved:

  1. Patrick Clarke was appointed as internal auditor for 2015-16.
  2. It was agreed to instruct the contractor to carry out the work on Coffin Way.
  3. It was agreed that picnic benches for the Play Space and Village Hall play area be bought.
  4. It was agreed that the tyres on the zip wire should be replaced by a better system.
  5. The PC agreed to an online solution for backing up Parish Council electronic files.
  6. All payments were approved.

 

Actions arising from the meeting Target date
1.      Clerk to report Moreton path to Mark Sumner As soon as possible
2.      CL to request that hedge-clipping on BMX track be moved As soon as possible
3.      Clerk to instruct contractor to carry out the work on Coffin Way As soon as possible
4.      Lengthman to investigate the cost of timber to make new picnic tables By next meeting
5.      Clerk to remind Croquet Club not to dump grass clippings By next meeting
6.      Clerk to investigate the possibility to reclaim VAT when gift-aided funds are used By next meeting
7.      Clerk to thank Patrick Clarke for continuing as internal auditor By next meeting
8.      Clerk and RF to draft a letter to the Malthus trust As soon as possible
9.      CL to look at LPT4 and draft a response if appropriate
10.  Clerk to reply to enquiry about FP9 As soon as possible
11.  JG to put something in the Bulletin about the elections
12.  Clerk and cemetery committee to reply to complaint As soon as possible
Actions brought forward
1.      Clerk to review financial regulations By next meeting

 

  1. To receive apologies for absence. Mr M Blythe (MB), Ms V Fox (VF), Mr G Reade. Apologies also from County Cllr Lilly, District Cllr Shelley and PCSO Claydon.
  2. To record declarations of interest. No declarations were made.
  3. To approve the minutes of the finance committee meeting held on 14th January and Parish Council meeting on 21st January 2015. The minutes were accepted and signed as a true record.
  4. To receive the County Councillor’s report. No County Councillor present.
  5. To receive the District Councillor’s report. Cllr Shelley sent a written report. She has been following up on the lack of tree work notices. She also reported that unfortunately it was the case that some paperwork and electronic information relating to the election could have been destroyed during the fire at the Crowmarsh office. The extent is unknown but the council is recommending that anyone that had communicated a couple of days before and after the event should resend the information just to be sure that all information has been received. Finally Cllr Shelley sent a reminder the next NAG meeting is Monday 16th February, 7:00pm at Milton Park.
  6. To receive the Lengthman’s report. The new lengthman, David Hollick, was welcomed to the Parish Council meeting. He reported that the footpaths are generally in good condition. He mentioned that the Moreton path is extremely uneven and muddy. Action: Clerk to report the Moreton path to Mark Sumner. Following the hedge-laying, some clippings were left on the BM track. Action: CL to request that hedge-clipping on BMX track be moved. The lengthman was informed that there were some complaints about the cemetery. The PC was assured that only Christmas wreaths were removed at the end of January, as per our regulations. Quotes are being sought for a replacement tractor.
  7. Police liaison.
  • To receive the PCSO report if available. No PCSO present.
  • To receive a report from the Neighbourhood Action Group. The minutes of the previous NAG meeting were circulated.
  1. Open Forum. Representatives from Hunter Page Planning Ltd came to see the Parish Council about a possible development on land on the east of Woodway. The proposal for the site is not yet firm but it is their intention to remove the conifer hedge and to plant native species. It is further their intention to apply for permission to build a small number of houses on the site as close as possible to the road. There might be some scope for further buildings, earmarked with employment use. The Parish Council is unable to comment as no formal planning application has yet been made. They have not yet had a pre-planning consultation. In the SHLA the proposed site was deemed unsuitable for development. The Parish Council was asked at what stage the Neighbourhood plan was at.
  2. Neighbourhood Plan (NP). It was reported that the survey had a 62% response which was evenly distributed throughout the village. There will be a presentation at 2 pm on 28th February, which will be repeated at 6 pm.
  3. Matters arising.
    • 08/10/14 To receive an update on funding reference Coffin Way. To agree to instruct the contractor to carry out the work. The clerk was informed that funding has been agreed and a BACS payment notice has been sent. Action: Clerk to instruct contractor to carry out the work on Coffin Way.
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update on the purchase of replacement bin for the Playclose. The bin has been ordered and the lengthman will install it in due course.
    • 11/02/14 To consider the replacement of the picnic benches in the play area. It was agreed that picnic benches for the Play Space and Village Hall be bought. A maximum spend of £350 was agreed. Action: Lengthman to investigate the cost of timber to make new picnic tables.
  4. To report back on actions needed on closed items
    • To receive an update on issues raised re the Croquet Club boundary. The lease document was investigated and the Parish Council agrees that the boundary they referred to in their letter, is indeed the Parish Council’s responsibility. It also means that the grass clipping are dumped on Parish Council’s land. Action: Clerk to remind Croquet Club not to dump grass clippings. Item closed.
  5. Village hall redevelopment
    • To receive an update on the progress of the working party and fundraising. The pre-planning meeting response has been received. The only concerns raised were the use of the land between the school and the village hall, as well as the external finishes of the development. The working party should consult with the school and education authority about co-using the space. Grant funding application will proceed. Action: Clerk to investigate the possibility to reclaim VAT when gift-aided funds are used.
  6. Recreation Ground.
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update from the PC representative on the BVCIC. To consider paying for regular checks to be carried out at the clubhouse. A BVCIC meeting is scheduled for the end of February. Maintenance of the Trend system will be discussed with GA Electrical. The lengthman agreed to do weekly checks at the clubhouse. The lengthman reported that hirers do not take their rubbish home with them. BC was asked to also raise the matter of the alcohol licence with the CIC.
    • 08/10/14 To receive an update on plant room maintenance and remedial works. Relevant documents were sent to GA Electrical who will hopefully be able to fix the current problems. The underfloor heating was also faulty. BC has contacted “Warmafloor” who installed the underfloor heating. BC also reported on the hot water system repairs.
    • 12/11/14To approve the cost for labour reference equipment store repairs. MS obtained a quote which was accepted. Repairs would be carried out within a week.
  7. Ladycroft Park. To receive an update on the Vale’s tribunal re Ladycroft.Nothing to report. Item closed.
  8. Risk Management.
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update on annual inspection of play areas and repairs needed prior to the inspection. The inspection has taken place. The rotten picnic table was removed prior to the inspection. The report is being awaited. It was agreed that the tyres on the zip wire should be replaced by a better system, similar to the one in Upton. Action: JG to investigate if the PC could get wood chippings for the Play Space from a tree surgeon.
    • 11/02/15 To appoint an internal auditor for 2015-2016. Patrick Clarke was appointed as internal auditor. Action: Clerk to thank Patrick Clarke for continuing as internal auditor.
  1. Planning & Housing.
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update on the Barton Willmore speculative approach. No update.
    • 02/02/06 To receive the Planning Committee Report. No planning decisions were made during the last month.
    • 08/11/12 To approve responses to Current applications. No applications were made during the last month.
  1. Finance & Administration
    • To receive an update on the setting up of the Clerk’s pension. The clerk confirmed that the OALC will issue guidelines and offer training for clerks to deal with a more complicated payroll and pension. RF met with the internal auditor and he is happy with the recommendations. A meeting will be set up with a financial adviser in due course.
    • To receive an update on the Malthus Trust. To appoint Parish Council representatives as trustees. It has been established that both the PC representatives’ terms have expired (2012 and 2014) and the PC was not notified. Both trustees are willing to be replaced but they would like to have some insight in the proposed candidates. Action: Clerk and RF to draft a letter to the Malthus trust.
    • To consider online backup service for Parish Council documents and records. The clerk has and external drive for backups but would like to have another up to day backup which is not kept at the same premises. She investigated Dropbox Pro which is £79 per year. The PC agreed to an online solution for backing up. Item closed.
    • To check and review financial regulations. Action brought forward: Clerk to review financial regulations.
    • To approve payments to be made under ancillary powers and within budgeted amounts.
Description Amount

Payment made prior to the meeting:

Tuckwell and Sons Ltd

 

£300.30

E de Ridder £855.79
E de Ridder (expenses) £18.64
D Hollick £120.11
BT Payment Services Ltd (direct debit) £22.80
Biffa £172.42
Post Office ltd (for Southern Electric) £20.11
Information Commissioner’s Office £35.00
South and Vale Carers £50.00
OPFA £40.00
Payments on behalf of the Village Hall:
·         Mrs J Newman £180.00
·         Mrs K Brooks £49.90
·         Mr W Batts £120.00
TOTAL                   £1,985.07    


The payment to Biffa will be held back until a new contract with the Parish Council has been issued and invoices are sent to the PC and not to the Village Hall.

All payments were approved.

  1. Village Hall Management Committee. To receive an update from the VHMC. There will be an AGM on February 25th and all users including the school will be invited to attend. The new treasurer will be meeting with the clerk.
  2. To receive an update on any issues relating to Footways, Footpaths and rights of way. See correspondence item.
  3. To receive an update on any issues relating to roads, road safety and public transport. There has been no further news about Whites Coaches. The local transport plan consultation has started. Complaints were made about the cones and barriers left on the road or on verges following road works. Some have now been removed.
  4. Correspondence
    • Items requesting a reply & consultations
      • Local Transport plan LPT4. Noted. Action: CL to look at LPT4 and draft a response if appropriate.
      • Query re Footpath 9 and recent planning application. The Parish Council responded to the planning application but did not make reference to the bridle way. Action: Clerk to reply to enquiry about FP9.
    • Items for information that have been circulated
      • OALC update. Action: JG to put something in the Bulletin about the elections.
      • Cemetery complaint. A complaint was received about vandalism in the cemetery. Some items were removed and others discarded on the ground. It has clearly caused some distress. Action: Clerk and cemetery committee to reply to complaint.
  1. Any other business. Network Rail notified the Parish Council that railway lines are in the process of being electrified and residents should now treat the lines as “live”
  1. To set the date of the next meeting

The next meeting will be held on 11th March in the Melland Room. The next meeting after that would be on April 8th, also in the Melland Room.

Meeting closed 21h12