Minutes for March 2015

BLEWBURY PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes

Of the Parish Council meeting of Blewbury Parish Council held on Wednesday 11th March 2015 at 7.30 pm in the Melland Room

Councillors present: Mr C Lakeland (Chairman)(CL), Mr R Farrell (RF), Ms J Gibson (JG), Mr B Cooper (BC), Ms V Fox (VF), Mr M Shayler (MS)

Also present: Mrs Elaine de Ridder (clerk), Mr D Hollick (Lengthman), no members of the public

Matters resolved:

  1. It was agreed to purchase four picnic benches for the play areas
  2. It was agreed that the Parish Council pay the lengthman to carry out weekly checks in the Clubhouse.
  3. It was agreed to replace the back boards on the skate ramp.
  4. It was resolved to carry over to the next financial year as earmarked reserves the amounts budgeted but unspent on projects that are in hand but not complete
  5. Meirion James was appointed as the Parish Council representative for four years on the Malthus trust.
  6. It was agreed to dispose of the Massey Ferguson tractor and to purchase a new John Deere tractor
  7. All payments were approved.

 

Actions arising from the meeting Target date
1.      Clerk to contact insurers about any specific requirements for signage at play areas By next meeting
2.      Clerk to ask Cllr Shelley for a NAG meeting update By next meeting
3.      BC to draft Clubhouse checklist for the lengthman. BC to brief lengthman on regular checks As soon as possible
4.      Clerk to circulate document recommending a CIC  as an option to run village facilities By next meeting
5.      Clerk to investigate if an application for a Jewsons grant could be made to use towards the skate ramp maintenance As soon as possible
6.      Clerk and lengthman to discuss inspection report and make recommendations to the PC By next meeting
7.      Clerk to request BVGA risk assessment By next meeting
8.      Clerk to request VH risk assessment By next meeting
9.      Clerk to request certificates from White Horse Horticulture By next meeting
10.  JG to respond to LTP4 By next meeting
11.  Clerk to write to the Malthus trust. Clerk to thank Mrs Gardner for her long service on the Malthus Trust As soon as possible
12.  Clerk to review new regulations with chairman By next meeting
Actions brought forward
1.      RF to meet with independent financial adviser re clerk’s pension By next meeting

 

  1. To receive apologies for absence. Mr M Blythe (MB), Mr G Reade, Mr B Morgan (BM). Apologies also from County Cllr Lilly and PCSO Claydon.
  2. To record declarations of interest. No declarations were made.
  3. To approve the minutes of the Parish Council meeting on 11th February 2015. The minutes were accepted and signed as a true record.
  4. To receive the County Councillor’s report. No County Councillor present.
  5. To receive the District Councillor’s report. Cllr Shelley reported on the problems relating to the site licence for Ladycroft Park. The Vale is unable to establish which company name to use. Cllr Shelley also reported on the lack of tree work notifications. Parish Councils should in future be alerted by email of any tree work applications.
  6. To receive the Lengthman’s report. The lengthman reported that a padlock was fitted to the new equipment store door, ready for the CIC to use. Additional security measures have been installed. The bin for the Playclose arrived and will be installed in due course. The lengthman attended a training session for playground inspections. Action: Clerk to contact insurers about any specific requirements for signage at play areas.
  7. Police liaison.
  • To receive the PCSO report if available. No PCSO present. The clerk thanked PCSO Claydon, who in unable to continue as PCSO due to ill health, for his work in the village.
  • To receive a report from the Neighbourhood Action Group. Action: Clerk to ask Cllr Shelley for an update.
  1. Open Forum. No members of the public present.
  2. Neighbourhood Plan (NP). There was a presentation on 28th February, which was well attended. More volunteers also came forward to help with the plan. The next step would be to expand on the landscape assessment.
  3. Matters arising.
    • 08/10/14 To receive an update on work to Coffin Way. The clerk is awaiting a date from the contractor. A concerned resident contacted the PC but the work should not affect the part of the footpath in private ownership.
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update on the purchase of replacement bin for the Playclose. The bin has been delivered.
    • 11/02/14 To receive an update on the replacement of the picnic benches in the play area. Following investigations it became clear that timber would be more expensive than buying benches and that four benches would be more than the agreed £350. The clerk negotiated a small discount from a supplier if four benches were bought, which was agreed.
  4. Parish Council election 2015. To give an update on the election of new councillors. Six people approached the clerk about elections. The clerk will keep them informed with crucial dates and forms. The Blewbury website will also be kept up to date.
  5. Village hall redevelopment
    • To receive an update on the progress of the working party and fundraising. A new reduced budget has been agreed. WREN funding bid will be submitted this week. A BIFFA bid will follow soon after.
  6. Recreation Ground.
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update from the PC representative on the BVCIC. To discuss regular checks to be carried out at the clubhouse. The security of the store was discussed as well as waste disposal. The Parish Council agreed that if there was space in the PC’s bin, they could put bags in there on a Monday evening. It was also agreed that if the BVCIC wants to take over the alcohol licence for the clubhouse, the PC would be delighted. As the BVCIC is unable to pay for someone to carry out regular checks, the PC will take on that role. Action: BC to draft Clubhouse checklist for the lengthman. BC to brief lengthman on regular checks. The BVCIC is also in favour of having one management body of all the facilities in the village. They are keen to have a meeting with the PC to discuss the way forward. Action: Clerk to circulate document recommending a CIC as an option to run village facilities.
    • 08/10/14 To receive an update on plant room maintenance and remedial works. GA Electrical failed to turn up for the last appointment but was going to rescheduled.
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update on equipment store repairs and work needed to make it secure. Repairs have been carried out. An additional gate would be installed in due course.
    • 10/14 To receive an update on skate ramp maintenance. To consider the quote for the replacement of the back boards on the ramp. The quote for the work was accepted. Action: Clerk to investigate if an application for a Jewsons grant could be made to use towards the skate ramp maintenance
  7. Risk Management.
    • 12/11/14 To discuss the report of the annual inspection of play areas. Action: Clerk and lengthman to discuss inspection report and make recommendations to the PC.
    • 11/3/15 Resolution: To carry over to the next financial year as earmarked reserves the amounts budgeted but unspent on projects that are in hand but not complete.
    • 11/03/15 To receive the BVGA risk assessment. Action: Clerk to request BVGA risk assessment
    • 11/03/15 To receive the Village Hall risk assessment. Action: Clerk to request VH risk assessment.
    • 11/03/15 To request Public & Employers liability certificates from grass cutting contractor: Action: Clerk to request certificates from White Horse Horticulture.

 

  1. Planning & Housing.
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update on the Barton Willmore speculative approach. The scoping application appears on the Vale’s website. A response has been drafted and will be submitted. See Annex A.
    • 02/02/06 To receive the Planning Committee Report. See Annex B.
    • 08/11/12 To approve responses to Current applications.

P15/V0422/HH  Westbrook Farm, Westbrook Street. Extensions and interior alterations, new car park. BPC has no objection.

P15/V0068/HH  2 Downside, Westbrook Street. Demolition of existing rear and side extensions. Erection of rear and side extensions. BPC has no objection but the drawings are inaccurate.

P15/V0193/FUL  Westbrook Farm, Westbrook Street. Demolition of existing farm buildings and construction of 4no. dwellings. BPC has no objection.

15/V0319/HH  34 Eastfields. Construction of two storey side extension and single storey rear extension to existing house. BPC has no objection.

P15/V0409/HH  12 London Road. Two storey extension at the front, and two storey extension as the rear incorporating a single storey element. BPC has no objection.

P15/V0302/SCO  Land west of Woodway Road. EIA Scoping Opinion for land west of Woodway. See annex A.

 

  1. Finance & Administration
    • To receive an update on the setting up of the Clerk’s pension. The clerk had a meeting with Meirion James. He believes that HMRC payroll would be updated to reflect pension requirements. If running a payroll becomes too complicated, it would be possible to outsource this to a company. Action brought forward: RF to meet with independent financial adviser re clerk’s pension.
    • To receive an update on the Malthus Trust. To appoint Parish Council representatives as trustees. Meirion James was appointment as a new trustee for four years. The Parish Council believes another vacancy exists. Action: Clerk to write to the Malthus trust. Clerk to thank Mrs Gardner for her long service on the Malthus Trust.
    • To check and review financial regulations. New financial regulations have been issued. Action: Clerk to review new regulations with chairman.
    • To agree the sale of the Massey Ferguson tractor and the purchase of a compact John Deere tractor. The sale of the old tractor and the purchase of the newer tractor was agreed. The clerk confirmed that the insurance will be swapped over. No additional premium would be payable at this stage. The next step would be to source a suitable trailer. Item closed.
    • To consider the quote for cemetery database and mapping software. Several options were investigated but only one company seemed to offer a suitable package. A quote from Pear Technologies was requested but not yet received. It was anticipated that it would be between £400 and £600
    • To approve payments to be made under ancillary powers and within budgeted amounts.
Description Amount
E de Ridder £863.26
D Hollick £338.20
BT Payment Services Ltd (direct debit) £22.80
Blewbury Village Hall £145.50
The Churn Benefice £14.00
Broxap Limited £227.94
John A. Webb Ltd £780.00
Biffa Waste Services Ltd £164.27
BVCIC £35.00
Rutland County Garden Furniture Ltd £560.00
Patrick Edwards Ltd £8,400.00
Blewbury Village Hall (Post Office rent) £300.00
Radii Skatepark Repairs £275.00
Rynat Limited £270.00
Payments relating to Village Hall redevelopment:
·         West Waddy ADP £579.60
Payments on behalf of the Village Hall:
·         Mrs J Newman £180.00
·         Mrs K Brooks £50.10
·         Mr W Batts £120.00
·         Post Office Ltd  (PAYE & NI) £97.40
Payments on behalf of the Neighbourhood Plan
·         Blewbury Village Hall £35.00
·         BVCIC £70.00
TOTAL                          £13,528.07

 

The payment to Biffa will be held back until a new contract with the Parish Council has been issued and invoices are sent to the PC and not to the Village Hall.

All payments were approved.

 

  1. Village Hall Management Committee. To receive an update from the VHMC. The AGM took place on February 25th. User groups were well represented and the main users agreed to nominate a representative for the VHMC. A review of the constitution is under way.
  2. To receive an update on any issues relating to Footways, Footpaths and rights of way. Complaints have been received from walkers who were stopped by the owners of Churn Farm. OCC confirmed that it is not currently an approved right of way. It would be possible to apply for a DMMO which might take 10 years to be considered. CL is awaiting a response from Mark Sumner and a approach to the estate manager might be made.
  3. To receive an update on any issues relating to roads, road safety and public transport.
    • To receive an update on the A417 meeting. JG attended the A417 meeting and circulated notes about it. The PC will send Cllr Lilly in a response reiterating its support of cycling routes and a pedestrian crossing over London Road to TFF and play areas.
    • To agree a response to the LTP4 consultation. The PC supports the addition of the A417 and provision for cyclists to the consultation document. Inclusion of Upton and Blewbury in the Didcot to Harwell bus service will be supported. Action: JG to respond to LTP4
  4. Correspondence
    • Items requesting a reply & consultations
      • Science Vale Area Action Plan: Issues and Scope Consultation. Noted. JG to attend.
      • CIL consultation document. Noted.
      • Science Vale Area Action Plan. Noted.

The BVS notified the PC of their AGM on April 26th  and requested a representative. CL to attend.

  • Items for information that have been circulated
    • OALC update. Circulated
    • CPRE petition. This petition will be put on the Blewbury website.
    • Neighbourhood Planning Conference – new date. Noted
  1. Any other business. The PC thanked the volunteers looking after the war memorial on London Road.
  2. To set the date of the next meeting

The next meeting will be held on 8th April in the Vale Room, which has become available again.

 

Meeting closed 21h21

 

Annex A

Parish Council response to P15/V0302/SCO EIA Scoping Opinion for land west of Woodway Road, Blewbury

 For attention: Adrian Butler

Vale of White Horse District Council

Abingdon

 Dear Mr Butler

 Re P15/V0302/SCO

 Thank you for allowing the Parish Council to respond to the EIA scoping as I appreciate that you are not obliged to do so.

 After the previous attempt by Barton Willmore to avoid an EIA, we were very encouraged by the decision of the Planning Authority to insist on having one. What is slightly disappointing is the amount that is scoped out that we considered important, particularly in the areas of transport, cumulative effects of development, scale and water and drainage.

 Also, the Barton Willmore assumptions made from what they call ‘consultation with the village’ are totally disproportionate. Their survey had a statistically irrelevant response and although weighted to their needs, resulted in only 6% of the population supporting development of any kind.

 Although our neighbourhood development plan is short of completion, our independant landscape assessment and housing needs survey have been completed and contradict the assumptions made by Barton Willmore as to negative impact on the village and landscape, increased traffic flow and scale of any developments necessary.

 We as a village have supported development in the recent past and acknowledge we are not immune to the effects of government planning policy. However, Barton Willmore say that there are no known committed developments within Blewbury or the surrounding area which could be considered to result in ‘cumulative effects’. Then acknowledge that there is planning application P13/V0458/0 for 30 dwellings at Chailey House that has been approved.

 The impact of this development coupled to any future development would result in a substantial cumulative effect on the village.

 The bottom line is that if we had a Local Plan in place and a 5 year housing needs plan, speculative approaches like this would never succeed.

 We must have a development policy of’ Need not Greed.’

 Annex B

Planning report for Parish Council  – March 2015

 Planning Applications

For full details see the Vale website – http://bit.ly/u2FSqN

Responses from the Parish Council:

P15/V0193/FUL – Westbrook Farm – Four new dwellings.  BPC has no objection, but would like to reiterate our concern over the amount of traffic that is already using Westbrook Street.

Decisions from the District Council:

None.