Minutes for July 2014

Minutes of the Parish Council meeting of Blewbury Parish Council held on Wednesday 9th July 2014 at 7.30 pm in the Vale Room

Councillors present: Mr C Lakeland (Chairman)(CL), Mr B Morgan (BM),Mr R Farrell (RF), Ms J Gibson (JG), Mr R Cooper (RC), Ms V Fox (VF)

Also present:Angela Hoy (deputy clerk) , PCSO Tim Dean.

Matters resolved:

  1. The Band had decided to withdraw their request for use of the Vale Room and therefore it was not necessary to move Parish Council meetings
  2. All payments were approved.
Actions arising from the meeting Target date
1.     CL to review tree register By September meeting
2.     RC to instruct contractor to install new red cylinder at Plant Room As soon as possible
3.     Clerk, chairman and a few councillors to meet to discuss a new scope of works for a future lengthman As soon as possible
4.     Quotes for providing electricity in the store room As soon as possible
5.     CL to advise Steve White to proceed with Andrew Marsden VAT advice As soon as possible
6.     CL to complete Rural Affordable Housing questionnaire As soon as possible
7.     Clerk to chase Stewart Lilly re Whites Coaches complaints As soon as possible
8.     Cost of replacement machinery to be discussed By September meeting
9.     Clerk to circulate proposed letter to OCC re Ladycroft Park As soon as possible
13. JG to advise Bulletin Editor about nitrous oxide cylinders danger                       As soon as possible
Actions brought forward
1.     Standing orders to be reviewed and circulated On-going
2.     Croquet Club boundary to be investigated. By July meeting
3.     Clerk to update council document register By September meeting
4.     Clerk to review asset register with chairman. By September meeting
5.     RF to investigate pension options for the clerk By September meeting

 

  1. Apologies for absence. Mr M Blythe (MB), Mr G Reade (GR), Mr M Shayler (MS),PCSO M Clayden, County Cllr Stewart Lilly
  2. Declarations of interest. None made.
  3. Minutes of the meetings held on 11thJune 2014 were accepted and signed as a true record.
  4. County Councillor’s report.No County Councillor
  5. District Councillor’s report.No District Councillor. No contact from Cllr Shelley for over 3 months.
  6. Police liaison.PCSO Tim Dean reported in place of PCSO Mike Clayden who had sent a written report which was read out. He highlighted recent thefts of outdoor tools and fishing gear from sheds by opportunistic thieves. He also mentioned finding nitrous oxide canisters at Bohams Road, which can be very damaging to health and suggested this could be mentioned in the Bulletin. JG agreed to notify the editor. Regular patrols were taking place in the area of the chalk pits to discourage motorcycle use. PCSO Clements would be carrying out a dog micro-chipping event on 20th July at the Village Hall in association with the Dogs Trust. PCSO Dean agreed to remind PCSO Clayden about inconsiderate parking on South Street. PCSO Dean left the meeting.
    • Neighbourhood Action Group. [The next meeting was on 23rd Did GR attend?]
  7. Lengthman’s report. MS had continued to cut grass in the absence of an appointed Lengthman; a job description was still awaited before the post could be advertised.
  8. Open Forum.No members of the public present.
  9. Neighbourhood Plan (NP).CL reported that a grant for £10k had been received from the Vale for the NP and Dermot Mathias had been advised. The next meeting of the BNDP was Monday 14th CL also mentioned the SODC Local Plan, for which there was a scoping consultation, and he noted that two sites identified for development were in the Green Belt.
  10. Matters arising.
    • 09/04/14 CL reported the new goalposts had been installed at a cost of £2500, cost of which was met from the Tony Loy Trust (TLT). A thank you note had been received from local children in appreciation of the splendid new facility. CL to write letter of thanks to TLT. Item closed.
    • 14/05/14 Quaker cemetery.RF had contacted Jane Dexter who was happy to go ahead with the installation of a plaque; RF to visit site to decide a design.
    • 11/06/14 Parking along South Street. See item 6.Action: Note to be put in the Bulletin about various parking issues on London Road and South Street.
  11. Village hall redevelopment
    • Working party report. Steve White (SW) attended several events during the Mini Festival to explain the latest proposals. He had been advised by ORCC and OALC that he needed more advice on VAT. Committee approved funds for further advice from Andrew Marsden and CL would convey this to SW.
    • No word yet on proceeds of the Mini Festival to go towards the Village Hall refurbishment.
    • It was agreed to pay the latest invoice from West Waddy for new work on the plans.
  12. Recreation Ground.
    • 14/12/11 BVCIC.CL, RC and JG attended BVCIC meeting on 7th July and were pleased to note that accounts had been audited; unfortunately the Treasurer Clayton Sullivan Webb was not present to give full explanation.Clayton has indicated that he wishes to stand down. A new Treasurer would need to be appointed. The meeting was minuted and targets set. CL had confirmed that the PC would be sympathetic as to paying for the plant room maintenance as a one-off. It was suggested that the facility could be better marketed and help from the village would be actively sought. It was noted that the premises alarm did not work [It was reported that the World Cup final will be screened in the Melland Room – England matches were well attended but sadly few. Contrary to earlier advice RC reported that it would be necessary to change the red cylinder (for heating and hot water); he advised that the allocated funds were still available, approximately £300. RC agreed to advise the contractor to go ahead and replace.
    • 11/12/13 Plant room.Leigh from G A Electrics, had attended to quote for a new electricity supply to the storeroom and he would return to do a safety check.
    • 09/04/14 Break-in at the store room. Quotes were still outstanding for the roof panels, without which an insurance claim could not be made. Obtaining quotes for single replacement steel panels was proving difficult. James Barrett has installed the internal wall.
  13. Mowing of the cemetery was continuing to be carried out by councillors.
  14. Ladycroft Park. E de Ridder will circulate a proposed letter to OCC regarding encroachment on adjoining property by Ladycroft Park.
  15. Risk Management.
    • 03/07/13 Review of standing orders. On-going.
    • 12/03/14 Review of emergency plan. As it would not be possible to distribute “Are you ready” with the Bulletin, it was decided that the Clerk should order one box containing 140 of the booklets and leave them in the Post Office and surgery. A note will be put in the Bulletin once the booklets have been received. Action: Clerk to order one box of emergency booklets for the village. JG reported that the Emergency Plan would be uploaded on to the new website when launched.
    • 09/04/14 Review of register of physical assets.The clerk and internal auditor have reviewed the asset register as part of the annual audit. Action brought forward: Clerk to review asset register with chairman ASAP
    • 08/05/14 Council document register update. Action brought forward: Clerk to update council document register.[ASAP]
    • 11/06/14 Review of tree register. Action: CL to review tree register by Sep meeting?]. RF queried who was responsible for the trees adjoining the Croquet Club, the Club or OCC? Not the Parish.
  16. Planning & Housing.
    • 02/02/06 Planning Committee Report: See Annex A – planning report, attached.
    • 08/11/12 Current applications:

Planning Policy: no response received to the PC letter regarding Chailey House and S.106 money. There has been no progress on the development because of the onerous conditions imposed by the DC, so far only outline planning permission granted.

P14/V1339/LB – Meers Parcel, London Road – Repair work to listed building. BPC has no objection.

P14/V1368/HH – 19 Bridus Mead – Two-storey and single storey extension. BPC has no objection.

P14/V1382/HH – Waylands, London Road – Single storey extension at the rear and enclosure of the open front porch. BPC has no objection, but would like to be sure that this does not reduce the available parking space.

P14/V1365/HH – 10 London Road – Two-storey extension at front. BPC has no objection, but as this is an extension at the front of the house, concern was expressed about the building line.

  • The Parish Council has also expressed concern to the Vale about a preliminary application on which we have not been invited to comment, to convert a farm shed into a dwelling, on the corner of Bessels Way and Hagbourne Road. BPC has said that it is anxious to prevent any building that might potentially encourage joining up with Didcot, and that the junction of the two roads is already a dangerous one and does not need any additional hazards.
  • Decisions from the District Council:

P114/V1077/HH – 27 Eastfields – Erection of a single storey rear extension. GRANTED.

P14/V0921/FULL – Blewbury C of E Primary School – Installation of solar photovoltaic panels to the roof of the School. GRANTED.

  • 11/09/13 Planning policy.Response received from the Vale. Item closed.
  1. Finance & Administration
    • Statement of accounts – 2013-2014.
    • Adoption of disciplinary code. Ongoing.
    • Lengthman’s resignation. Councillors were fulfilling the duties of the lengthman. It is possible to use outside contractors for some duties and the role of the village lengthman should be re-visited. Action: Clerk and chairman and a few councillors to meet to discuss a new scope of works for a lengthman.
    • Clerk’s pension. Action brought forward: RF to investigate and report back on options for the clerk’s pension for September meeting. Thanks were offered to Angela Hoy who had agreed to be minutes secretary for the July meeting in the Clerk’s absence overseas.
    • Replacement machinery had been costed; Review September meeting.
    • The Blewbury Brass Band had decided they would not be using the Village Hall for rehearsals so there is now no need for the PC to change venue. Closed.
    • Payments for approval to be made under ancillary powers and within budgeted amounts
Description Amount
E de Ridder £842.90
BT Payment Services Ltd (direct debit) £21.60
White Horse Horticulture £200.00
Sutcliffe Play South West Ltd £2,547.60
Oxfordshire County Council £150.00
Payments relating to Village Hall redevelopment:
·       West Waddy ADP £1,134.00
TOTAL                   £4,746.10

All payments were approved.

  1. Allotments.
    • The BVGA had paid a £40 contribution for work at the allotments. Closed.
  1. Footways, Footpaths and rights of way

It was reported that Cow Lane was very overgrown and there was also a tree down. Also the footpath to Savages, and Bridus Way are overgrown. CL to investigate . .

  1. Roads, Road safety and public transport
    • Complaints about Whites Coaches Friday service. RC waiting for response from Cllr Lilly., Clerk to chase.
  2. Village Hall management committee report.It was noted that the Post Office Staff would be taking over the bookings for the Village Hall from 1st Questions were asked regarding the governance of the VHC. RF is attempting to speak to Bruce Brock
    • It was reported that Bins were not being emptied at TFF; An information sign is supposed to have been erected at the recreation ground. JG would email Secretary.
    • Trees in the play area.The trees have been felled.

A note will be put in the Bulletin about hedges and the responsibility of landowners. Action: JG for Bulletin

  1. Correspondence
    • Items requesting a reply & consultations
      • Local transport plan 4. Noted.
      • Football pitch survey – done.
      • Winter preparedness 14/15 – it was agreed there were already adequate supplies.
      • CPRE invitation to visit Great Coxwell 20th July 2014, noted.
      • Rural Affordable Housing questionnaire – CL to complete this survey.
    • Items for information
      • OALC update
      • ORCC rural housing newsletter
      • CPRE campaign update
      • Transport road show dates.
  1. Any Other Business.It was reported that the Boot Camp was now running on TFF and the organisers had not yet complied with the request to provide their risk assessment and Public Liability certificate; query was also raised whether they should be charged a fee for use of the field, bearing in mind they had paid a fee for use of the Hall..
  2. Details of the next meeting.10th September 2014 in the Vale Room.

Meeting closed 21h15

 

 

Annex A –Planning report for Parish Council – July 2014

Responses from the Parish Council:

P14/V1339/LB – Meers Parcel, London Road – Repair work to listed building. BPC has no objection.

P14/V1382/HH – Waylands, London Road – Single storey extension at the rear and enclosure of the open front porch. BPC has no objection, but would like to be sure that this does not reduce the available parking space.

P14/V1348/FUL – Orchard Dene – Construction of shelter for the Blewbury Wagon. BPC has no objection.

The Parish Council has also expressed concern to the Vale about a preliminary application on which we have not been invited to comment, to convert a farm shed into a dwelling, on the corner of Bessels Way and Hagbourne Road. BPC has said that it is anxious to prevent any building that might potentially encourage joining up with Didcot, and that the junction of the two roads is already a dangerous one and does not need any additional hazards.

Decisions from the District Council:
P114/V1077/HH – 27 Eastfields –
Erection of a single storey rear extension. GRANTED.
P14/V0921/FULL – Blewbury C of E Primary School – Installation of solar photovoltaic panels to the roof of the School. GRANTED.
P14/V1005/HH – Upperton, Pilgrim’s Way – Renovation, alteration and extension and the construction of a garage building/garden store. GRANTED
P14/V1365/HH – 10 London Road – Two-storey extension at front. GRANTED
P14/V1368/HH – 19 Bridus Mead – Two-storey and single storey extension. GRANTED