Minutes for June 2014

Minutes of the Parish Council meeting of Blewbury Parish Council held on Wednesday 11th June 2014 at 7.30 pm in the Vale Room

Councillors present: Mr C Lakeland (Chairman), Mr G Reade, Mr R Farrell, Ms J Gibson, Mr G Reade, Mr R Cooper, Mr M Shayler, Ms V Fox, Mr M Blythe

Also present: E de Ridder (clerk), County Cllr Stewart Lilly, 4 members of the public

Matters resolved:

  1. Section 1 and 2 of annual return as well as the internal audit report were accepted
  2. It was agreed to support the Band’s request and move Parish Council meetings
  3. All payments were approved.
Actions arising from the meeting Target date
1.     Clerk to order one box of emergency booklets for the village By September meeting
2.     CL to review tree register By July meeting
3.     Clerk to enquire about Festival risk assessments As soon as possible
4.     Clerk, chairman and a few councillors to meet to discuss a new scope of works for a future lengthman As soon as possible
5.     Note to be put in the Bulletin about various parking issues on London Road and South Street. By next Bulletin deadline
6.     Clerk and MS to obtain quotes for providing electricity in the store room As soon as possible
7.     Clerk to investigate alternative venues for the Parish Council meetings As soon as possible
8.     Clerk to invoice BVGA for balance of the digger hire. As soon as possible
9.     Clerk to tell OCC about historic soakaways on Rubblepit Lane As soon as possible
10.  Clerk to pass on details of Whites Coaches complaints to Stewart Lilly As soon as possible
11.  Clerk to write to various residents about hedges, including the Housing Association As soon as possible
12.  Clerk to thank PCC for the invitation As soon as possible
Actions brought forward
1.     Standing orders to be reviewed and circulated On-going
2.     Croquet Club boundary to be investigated. By July meeting
3.     RF to contact Jane Dexter re the Quaker cemetery By July meeting
4.     Clerk to update council document register By September meeting
5.     Clerk to review asset register with chairman. By September meeting
6.     RF to investigate pension options for the clerk By September meeting
  1. Apologies for absence. Mr B Morgan, Mr M Blythe, PCSO M Clayden.
  2. Declarations of interest. None made.
  3. Minutes of the meetings held on 14th and 21st May 2014 were accepted and signed as a true record.
  4. County Councillor’s report. Cllr Lilly reported about changes to the Milton interchange and the new slipways at Chilton. There will be a full programme of road improvements until the end of the decade. Due to the electrification of the train lines, there will be several bridge and road closures in the next few years. The OCC as planning authority will be consulted about “fracking” for shale gas in Oxfordshire. It was also reported that the Valley Park development would mean 2500 more houses in Harwell parish. A further 2200 houses are planned for the NE corner of Didcot. The OCC responded to the Vale’s SHMA commenting that no regard was given to infrastructure (roads, schools, hospitals, emergency services) and the type of housing needed, especially given that the elderly population is increasing. It was mentioned that services at some cottage hospitals will be expanded.

A meeting has taken place about Ladycroft Park where representatives from the Vale and Ed Vaizey MP was present. No more details are yet known. The problems with the unreliable Friday service of Whites Coaches were mentioned. Cllr Lilly will follow up. The clerk mentioned that Ed Vaizey was also contacted re the money that was promised by central government to repair roads following flooding. Finally Cllr Lilly was informed that lines were painted on the Didcot road very late on a Sunday night, going through potholes and damaged stretches of roads. Once the road is repaired it will have to be painted again.

  1. District Councillor’s report. No district councillor.
  2. Police liaison. No Police present. PCSO Clayden sent a written report which was read out. He has written to residents along London Road about parking on South Street.
    • Neighbourhood Action Group. The next meeting will be on 23rd GR to attend.
  3. Lengthman’s report. The lengthman has resigned. Councillors have been fulfilling the mowing and inspection duties.
  4. Open Forum.

The Parish Council was asked if anything could be done to prevent people parking on the pavement on London Road which makes it very difficult for pedestrians and those on mobility scooters. The matter will be reported to the Police and a note will be put in the Bulletin.

The Borlase planning application was discussed. Correspondence relating to this application was circulated prior to this meeting. The main objection to this development was on the grounds of the “historic environment” which is a saved policy in the National Framework.

  1. Neighbourhood Plan (NP). The housing needs survey was drafted and is in the process of being revised. It will be circulated shortly for comment by the PC. It was reported that the Parish Council was approached by a developer asking if we would be interested in developing Tickers Folly Field. This letter was passed on to the NP working party. No response was needed.
  2. Matters arising.
    • 09/04/14 Football goal for TFF. It was arranged to meet Sheila Loy at TFF to mark out the appropriate place for the goal which will be installed in the next few weeks.
    • 14/05/14 Quaker cemetery. Action brought forward: RF to contact Jane Dexter re the Quaker cemetery.
    • 11/06/14 Parking along South Street. See item 6. On the previous Saturday the bus could not go down South Street as it was obstructed by various cars parking inconsiderately. Action: Note to be put in the Bulletin about various parking issues on London Road and South Street.
  3. Village hall redevelopment
    • Working party. Revised proposals were made and hope to be shown during the Mini Festival.
    • Proceeds of the Mini Festival will go towards the Village Hall refurbishment.
  4. Recreation Ground.
    • 14/12/11 BVCIC. CL will meet with Simon Barrett. A formal meeting with the CIC is to follow. It was reported that the England World Cup matches will be screened in the Melland Room.
    • 11/12/13 Plant room. As the faulty tank was recently replaced it was decided that the tanks should not yet be swapped as it would be a waste of money. A note will be put in the diary in 2015 to order the replacement/swap of the two tanks.
    • 09/04/14 Break-in at the store room. Obtaining quotes for single replacement steel panels are proving difficult. James Barrett installing the internal wall. They did not feel there was a need for an outside (pedestrian) door. Mr Barrett was going to check if it was a Health and Safety requirement. Action: Clerk and MS to obtain quotes for providing electricity in the store room.
  5. Mowing of the cemetery was being done by councillors.
  6. Ladycroft Park. See item 4.
  7. Risk Management.
    • 03/07/13 Review of standing orders. On-going.
    • 12/03/14 Review of emergency plan. As it would not be possible to distribute “Are you ready” with the Bulletin, it was decided that the Clerk should order one box containing 140 of the booklets and leave them in the Post Office and surgery. A note will be put in the Bulletin once the booklets have been received. Action: Clerk to order one box of emergency booklets for the village.
    • 09/04/14 BVGA risk assessment for allotments. Received. Item closed.
    • 09/04/14 Review of register of physical assets. The clerk and internal auditor have reviewed the asset register as part of the annual audit. Action brought forward: Clerk to review asset register with chairman.
    • 08/05/14 Council document register update. Action brought forward: Clerk to update council document register.
    • 11/06/14 Review of tree register. Action: CL to review tree register
    • 11/06/14 Festival risk assessments. Action: Clerk to enquire about Festival risk assessments.
  1. Planning & Housing.
    • 02/02/06 Planning Committee Report: See Annex A – planning report, attached.
    • 08/11/12 Current applications

P14/V1114/FUL. Proposed erection of a four bedroom dwelling and extension to garage. Land in South Street.(Borlase application).

BPC objects for the following reasons:
Although relatively small, the site contributes significantly to the established character and appearance of the conservation area and, as such, any development on the site would be contrary to policy HE1 of the Vale’s Local Plan 2011.
If the planning authority is minded to allow development of the site, Blewbury Parish Council believes that the proposed design lacks interest and that the scale, height, form and massing of the existing proposals fail to satisfy the requirements of policies DC1 and HE1 (ii).

P14/V1077/HH. Erection of a single storey rear extension. 27 Eastfields. Blewbury Parish Council has no objection.

P14/V1005/HH. Renovation, alteration and extension and the construction of a garage building / garden store to include the demolition of existing extensions and outbuildings. Upperton, The Pilgrims Way. Blewbury Parish Council has no objection

P14/V1180/HH. A first floor extension over existing single storey ground floor rear extension. Pound Cottage 2, London Road. Blewbury Parish Council has no objection

  • 11/09/13 Planning policy. Response received from the Vale. Item closed.
  1. Finance & Administration
    • Statement of accounts – 2013-2014. Proposal and acceptance of Section 1 and 2 of annual return. Section 1 and 2 were circulated prior to the meeting and formally approved. The internal audit report was also circulated and approved.
    • Adoption of disciplinary code. Ongoing.
    • Lengthman’s resignation. Councillors were fulfilling the duties of the lengthman. It is possible to use outside contractors for some duties and the role of the village lengthman should be re-visited. Action: Clerk and chairman and a few councillors to meet to discuss a new scope of works for a lengthman.
    • Clerk’s pension. Action brought forward: RF to investigate and report back on options for the clerk’s pension for September meeting. It was mentioned that the Clerk will have to take some leave due to family illness but will continue to work remotely. Angela Hoy has agreed to be minutes secretary for the next meeting.
    • Pickup: sale and insurance. Replacement of machinery. The pickup was sold for £500 the day on which the insurance ran out. The insurance was therefore not renewed. Replacement machinery is still being considered as part of wider issue of the lengthman’s scope of work.
    • Change of day or venue for Parish Council meetings. It was agreed to support the Band’s request and move Parish Council meetings in order for the Band to use the village hall every week. Action: Clerk to investigate alternative venues for the Parish Council meetings.
    • Payments for approval to be made under ancillary powers and within budgeted amounts

 

Description Amount
E de Ridder £842.90
P Skelton £57.00
E de Ridder (expenses) £45.66
BT Payment Services Ltd (direct debit) £21.60
White Horse Horticulture £200.00
OALC (training) £156.00
     CPRE £36.00
     Blewbury Post Office £250.00
     Didcot Plant Ltd £122.18
     Capita (for brown bin) £37.00
     Post Office Ltd (PAYE) £258.98
Payments relating to Village Hall redevelopment:
·       West Waddy ADP £1,197.00
     Payments relating to Neighbourhood Plan:
·       Blewbury Village Community Interest Company £245.00
TOTAL                   £3,469.32

 

All payments were approved.

 

  1. Allotments.
    • Grant for further works. Action: Clerk to invoice BVGA for balance of the digger hire.

 

 

 

  1. Footways, Footpaths and rights of way

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Rubblepit Lane. Action: Clerk to tell OCC about historic soakaways on Rubblepit Lane.
  1. Roads, Road safety and public transport
    • Complaints about Whites Coaches Friday service. Various complaints have been received which the clerk and BC passed on to Whites Coaches and OCC. Action: Clerk to pass on details of Whites Coaches complaints to Stewart Lilly.
  2. Village Hall management committee report. The VHMC has not yet advertised for the role of booking secretary.
    • The bin should be removed from the Chalk Pits and a sign put up to take litter home.
    • Trees in the play area. The trees have been felled.

A note will be put in the Bulletin about hedges. Action: Clerk to write to various residents about hedges, including the Housing Association.

  1. Correspondence
    • Items requesting a reply & consultations
      • Department for Transport consultation on the future of the Great Western Railway. Noted.
      • Invitation to the Licensing of The Revd Jennifer Brown. Action: Clerk to thank PCC for the invitation.
    • Items for information
      • OALC update. Noted.
      • Open Spaces Society –invitation to renew membership. Noted but will not be renewed.
      • CPRE newsletter. Noted.
  1. Any Other Business. The Parish Council expressed their disquiet about the way certain aspects of the campaign against the Borlase application have been conducted.
  2. Details of the next meeting. 9th July 2014 in the Vale Room.

 

Meeting closed 21h43

 

 

Annex A – Committees

Planning report for Parish Council – June 2014

Planning Applications

For full details see the Vale website – http://bit.ly/u2FSqN

Responses from the Parish Council:
P14/V0921/FULL – Blewbury C of E Primary School –
Installation of solar photovoltaic panels to the roof of the School. BPC has no objection.
P14/V1005/HH – Upperton, Pilgrim’s Way – Renovation, alteration and extension, and construction of a garage/garden store. BPC has no objection.
P14/V1077/HH27 Eastfields – Erection of a single storey rear extension. BPC has no objection.

P14/V1180/HH – Pound Cottage, 2 London Road – First floor extension over existing single storey ground floor rear extension. BPC has no objection.

P14/V1114/FUL – Land in South Street, opposite Borlase – New four bed dwelling. BPC objects for the following reasons:
Although relatively small, the site contributes significantly to the established character and appearance of the conservation area and, as such, any development on the site would be contrary to policy HE1 of the Vale’s Local Plan 2011.
If the planning authority is minded to allow development of the site, Blewbury Parish Council believes that the proposed design lacks interest and that the scale, height, form and massing of the existing proposals fail to satisfy the requirements of policies DC1 and HE1 (ii).

Decisions from the District Council:
P14/V0454/FUL – 1 London Road –
Erection of 2 bed dwelling and first floor rear extension to the same property. GRANTED.
P14/V0629/HH – 16 Westbrook Green – Extension and rearrangement of interior. GRANTED.
P14/V0574/HH – Waters Edge – Two-storey rear extension. GRANTED.
P14/V0766/FUL, P14/V0768/FUL and P14/V0769 – Erection of pig buildings, Whiteshoot Farm – GRANTED.

The Cow Lane Decision

 

Enquiries regarding planning in the Parish may be sent to blewburypc@gmail.com