Minutes for March 2014

Minutes of the Parish Council meeting of Blewbury Parish Council held on Wednesday 12th March 2014 at 7.30 pm in the Vale Room

Councillors present: Mr R Farrell (Chairman), Ms J Gibson, Ms V Fox, Mr R Cooper, Mr M Shayler, Mr C Lakeland

Also present: E de Ridder (clerk), District Councillor Shelley, 1 member of the public

Matters resolved:

  1. Benjamin Morgan was co-opted onto the Parish Council
  2. It was resolved to carry over to the next financial year as earmarked reserves the amounts budgeted but unspent on projects that are in hand but not complete.
  3. All payments were approved.
Actions arising from the meeting Target date
1.     Clerk to thank all the candidates for their availability and remind them about the 2015 election As soon as possible
2.     BC to obtain “ball park figure” for the reinstallation of the water tanks from Alan Hetherington. RF to speak to Andy Bray By April meeting
3.     Clerk to obtain an additional quote for an external door By April meeting
4.     MS to investigate the cost of wire fencing for the cemetery By April meeting
5.     MS to ask Wendy Cawley to help spray over the graffiti at skate ramp By April meeting
6.     Clerk to circulate previous version of the emergency plan By April meeting
7.     RF to draft Local Plan response By end of March. Deadline April 4th.
8.     Clerk to discuss DCLG update with chairman By April meeting
9.     Clerk and RF to formally write to the lengthman about his hours As soon as possible
10.  JG to include a Bulletin item about the accessibility of bus stops As soon as possible
11.  Clerk to report parking problems on South Street to the county councillor and Police By April meeting
12.  Clerk to pass on Mark Sumner’s response to the emails about Cow Lane As soon as possible
Actions brought forward
1.     RF & BC to define questions and contact a heating engineer As soon as possible
  1. Apologies for absence: Cllr Lilly, Mr G Reade, Mr M Blythe
  2. Co-option of new councillor. Three candidates were available to be co-option. It was decided that as in the past a secret ballot will be used as opposed to a show of hands. Ben Morgan was elected by secret ballot. Action: Clerk to thank all the candidates for their availability and remind them about the 2015 election.
  3. Declarations of interest. None made.
  4. Minutes of the meeting held on 12th February 2014 were accepted and signed as a true record.
  5. County Councillor’s report. No county councillor present
  6. District Councillor’s report. District councillor Shelley reported on complaints to the enforcement officer about building works at Dallas. She mentioned the belated reply received from the planning department after the Parish Council complained that parishioners did not get a response from them. The launch of the Local Plan consultation and exhibitions related to it were mentioned. RF mentioned that at the Neighbourhood Plan meeting a Vale officer that villages in the AONB might not get a full allocation of houses.
  7. Police liaison.
  8. Lengthman’s report. No lengthman present.
  9. Open Forum.

Nothing discussed during Open Forum.

  1. Matters arising.
    • 12/06/13 Neighbourhood Plan (NP). The NP’s launch on March 8th was very successful. The whole event cost well below £500. A donation was received for the “Friends of the Neighbourhood Plan”. The clerk was authorised to refund expenses relating to this from the grant money and the donation. The clerk and RF will meet with Dermot Mathias and John Ogden as the latter has agreed to act as treasurer for the NP working party.
    • 12/03/14 Rights of Way consultation. CL drafted and circulated a response to this consultation. The response was submitted. Item closed.
  2. Village hall redevelopment
    • Working party. The clerk confirmed that the architects have been appointed. Some questions were asked about the cost of moving the Post Office in the proposed plan.
    • A “funders meeting” was scheduled with the National Lottery. It was also mentioned that the “Messiah from scratch” event has made a profit and some of this will be passed on to the Village Hall redevelopment fund in due course. The donation has in the meantime been made to the BVS
  3. Recreation Ground. A possible goalpost for Ticker Folly Field has been identified and the Tony Loy trust will help with funding.
    • 14/12/11 BVCIC. The fire extinguishers have been checked. One was replaced. Despite a reminder from Sheila Loy, no response has been received from the CIC about a meeting.
    • 09/05/12 Car Park. The Parish Council is satisfied with quality of the finish. Item closed.
    • 11/12/13 Plant room. The clerk spoke to the solicitor about the problems with the installation. In order for them to help the PC they would have to study the contract which consists of hundreds of pages. This did not seem like a cost effective solution if the cost of reinstalling the tanks were not high. Action: BC to obtain “ball park figure” for the reinstallation of the water tanks from Alan Hetherington. RF to speak to Andy Bray. A letter to Farnrise could follow if necessary.

Quotes were received for a dividing wall in the new store room. Action: Clerk to obtain an additional quote for an external door.

  1. Some more work needs to be done in the cemetery and seeding of grass will be done in due course. Action: MS to investigate the cost of wire fencing.
  2. Risk Management.
    • 03/07/13 Review of standing orders. RF has studied the new standing orders and will advise the PC of necessary changes in due course. New financial regulations have also been received.
    • 09/10/13 Annual play area inspections. John Clark’s report was considered. RF made recommendations about essential changes, which was accepted. The clerk mentioned that graffiti has appeared on the skate ramp. Action: MS to ask Wendy Cawley to help spray over the graffiti at skate ramp. Item closed.
    • 12/3/14 Emergency plan. Action: Clerk to circulate previous version of the emergency plan.
  3. Planning & Housing.
    • 02/02/06 Planning Committee Report: See Annex B – planning report, attached.
    • 08/11/12 Current applications.

P14/V0379/LB – Carramores, Church Road. Repairs to east gable wall of timber framed building, including reduction in size of chimney stack. No objection.

P14/V0414/FUL – Lane to rear of Fieldside House, London Road – Erection of new two bedroom dwelling. No objection.

  • 11/09/13 Planning policy. Martin Deans answered the original complaint about the Vale’s procedures before the Parish Council’s letter to them was sent. A follow up letter about planning enforcement will be drafted.
  • VWHDC Local Plan. The PC expressed concern about the forecast used to justify the numbers of houses required in the Vale. Action: RF to draft Local Plan response.
  1. Finance & Administration
    • Online banking – Repeal of section 150(5) of the Local Government Act 1972. The law about online banking has now changed but Councils are urged not to move away from having 2 signatures until a council has put in place safe and efficient arrangements in accordance with the guidance.
    • Local Audit and Accountability Act – DCLG Update. Action: Clerk to discuss DCLG update with chairman.
    • Lengthman’s appraisal and review of hours. It will be made clear to the lengthman that only work specifically requested will be paid for. Action: Clerk and RF to formally write to the lengthman about his hours. The possibility of paying a salary should be investigated.
    • Clerk’s pay scale. To be discussed at the meeting in May.
    • Resolution on finance: To carry over to the next financial year as earmarked reserves the amounts budgeted but unspent on projects that are in hand but not complete. The projects named were the cemetery and the Neighbourhood Plan. All agreed.
    • Payments for approval to be made under ancillary powers and within budgeted amounts
Description Amount
E de Ridder £831.46
P Skelton £367.48
E de Ridder (expenses) £101.68
BT Payment Services Ltd (direct debit) £21.60
     Blewbury Post Office £250.00
     Blewbury Village Hall £134.00
The Churn Benefice £16.00
TOTAL                £1722.22

 

All payments were approved.

  1. Allotments. In response to the question about the funding of the new allotments, the existing committee wasn’t aware of any refund due to the Parish Council. They have however indicated that they are willing to pay the whole Thames Water bill. The current arrangement is that the Parish Council pays the standing charges.
  2. Footways, Footpaths and rights of way.

See 10.2.

  1. Roads, Road safety and public transport.
    • A417 update. JG attended the A417 summit. The road between Blewbury and Upton might become a “rural road” with a cycle path. A request for a pedestrian crossing close to Savages and Tickers Folly was put forward. Various issues around Upton were mentioned. Cllr Lilly will send an information pack to all parishes.

Parking on South Street continues to be a problem. Action: Clerk to report parking problems on South Street to the county councillor and Police.

At the recent PTR meeting the issue disabled access of bus stops/services were mentioned. Action: JG to include a Bulletin item about the accessibility of bus stops.

The Clerk discussed the problems with the B4016 with Highways.

  1. Village Hall management committee report. The VHMC has not yet paid the additional insurance premium. RF has looked into the VHMC’s roles and responsibilities and will be calling a meeting.
  2. Environment
    • Playclose bins. Public bins were not emptied and were reported to the Vale. Eastfields bin has now completely disappeared. .
  3. Correspondence
    • Items requesting a reply & consultations
      • Town and parish forum 2014. Noted.
      • Emails re barrier on Cow Lane and Rubble Pit lane. Action: Clerk to pass on Mark Sumner’s response to the emails about Cow Lane.
      • Watts Lane path. An email was received with an offer to help clear the gully.
      • Openness of Local Government Bodies Draft Regulations 2014. Noted.
      • Community Information Network Partnership meeting. Noted.
    • Items for information
      • OALC update. Noted
      • Series of public meetings about the Local Plan. Circulated.
  1. Any Other Business. None
  2. Details of the next meeting.

The next meeting will be on April 9th in the Vale Room.

Meeting closed 21h26

 

Annex A – Planning news for Bulletin April 2014

Planning Applications

For full details see the Vale website – http://bit.ly/u2FSqN

Decisions from the District Council: None

Responses from the Parish Council:

P14/V0379/LB – Carramores, Church Road. Repairs to east gable wall of timber framed building, including reduction in size of chimney stack. No objection.

P14/V0414/FUL – Lane to rear of Fieldside House, London Road – Erection of new two bedroom dwelling. No objection.