Minutes March 2017

Minutes
Of the Meeting of the Parish Council
held in the Melland Room on Wednesday 8th March 2017 at 7.30 p.m.

 

Councillors present: Mr C Lakeland (Chair), Mrs J Gibson (JG), Mr M Shayler (MS), Mrs L Inglis (LI), Mrs C Cameron (CC), Mr M Penington (MP), Ms Miriam Jacobs (MJ), Mr David Lomas (DL). Also present: Mrs Elaine de Ridder (clerk), Mr David Hollick (Lengthman), County Councillor Lilly, 5 members of the public.

Matters resolved:

  1. The quote from West Garden Machinery for hedge cutting equipment and wheelbarrow was accepted.
  2. It was resolved to carry over to the next financial year as earmarked reserves the amounts budgeted but unspent on projects (e.g. Village Hall refurbishment and Play Areas) that are in hand but not complete.
  3. All payments were approved.

 

Actions arising from the meeting Target date
1.      Lengthman to place order for hedge cutting equipment and wheelbarrow By next meeting
2.      LI to seek advice about BNDP policies relating to the Pound Furlong application As soon as possible
3.      Clerk to put MP and Paul Whitehead in touch about work to the cobwall By next meeting
4.      Clerk to write to Mr Allen to ask for permission to install the bin on his land As soon as possible
5.      CL to draft a response to Local Plan Part 2 consultation By next meeting

 

  1. To receive apologies for absence. Apologies from Mr Mark Blythe (MB) and District Councillors Shelley and Waite. Mrs Lydia Inglis sent apologies for late arrival.
  2. To record declarations of interest. CL and JG declared an interest in the planning item.
  3. To approve the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 8th February 2017. The minutes were accepted and signed as a true record.
  4. To receive the County Councillor’s report. Following the complaint about the B4016 road surface, Cllr Lilly reported that some of the road would be resurfaced and potholes filled in. The road surfacing is in the capital program for the 2018 financial year. Cllr Lilly reported that CIL money will only be paid to the District Council and none to the County Council. It was reported that construction of the Harwell link road has started. An update was given on the Unitary Council debate. It was reported that Thames Water is again talking about the Abingdon Reservoir.
  5. To receive the District Councillor’s report. District Councillor’s report was circulated prior to the meeting. See Annex A.
  6. To receive the Lengthman’s report. The report was circulated prior to the meeting. See Annex B.
    • To receive and accept the quote from West Garden Machinery for hedge cutting equipment and wheelbarrow. The quote was accepted. Action: Lengthman to place order for hedge cutting equipment and wheelbarrow.
  7. Open Forum.

The neighbours and the applicants for the Pound Furlong application came along to discuss the application. Neighbours expressed concern about proximity, loss of privacy and over-dominance. The applicant explained how they tried to reduce the impact the new house might have.  Residents were urged to put their concerns in writing to the District Council.   

  1. Matters arising
    • To report back on actions arising at previous meeting. All actions were taken.
  2. Village hall redevelopment
    • To receive an update on the progress of the working party and fundraising. It was reported that as Knowles could not find a way to make savings to deliver the project within the agreed budget, the project was put on hold. The quantity surveyor have been asked to come back with a reduced specification which would come in on budget. Knowles would be asked to compensate the VHMC for the loss of earning and cost incurred in the failed start of the project. The Vale Room and Village Hall would be cleaned and some maintenance done before bookings resume.
  3. Recreation Ground
    • To receive an update from the PC representative on the BVCIC. MP reported that the accounts have been made for the past year and the BVCIC expressed concern about the future as they are still running at a loss. A meeting with the PC will be held to discuss possible next steps.
  4. Planning & Housing
    • To receive the planning committee report. See Annex C for the planning report.
    • To approve responses to current applications:

P17/V0334/FUL Land at Pound Furlong, London Road

Development of a new 2 Bedroom Chalet Bungalow with dormer features.

This application was intensely debated especially in light of the recently adopted Neighbourhood Development Plan. As it was not entirely clear what the policy about “plot boundaries” was intended to achieve and councillors could not agree on a response, it was agreed that LI should seek advice on this matter and a response would be agreed via email once the advice has been circulated. The final submission would be added to the planning report for the Bulletin (Annex C). Action: LI to seek advice about BNDP policies relating to the Pound Furlong application.

 

P17/V0512/FUL Land adjacent to nos 4 & 5 Westbrook Green

Erection of three bedroom detached dwelling

As CL and JG declared an interest in this application, they were excluded from the meeting for the duration of the discussion of this application. LI chaired the meeting for this item.

Parish Council objects on the basis of policy P1 in the village NDP: ‘Development outside the existing built area of Blewbury will not be permitted, except for Rural Exception Sites. The built area…does not include…large gardens, paddocks and other undeveloped land in the curtilage of buildings on the edge of the settlement, where they provide a transition between the surrounding countryside and the built-up areas of the settlement…’

 

Application received after agenda was finalised:

P17/V0535/FUL           Hunts Grave Farm Woodway Road

Demolition of existing structures. Erection of three dwellings, with gardens including boundaries, and parking areas

Parish Council has no objections, but would like the applicant to consider carefully the treatment of the eastern and northern boundary, given the sensitive nature of the site at the eastern entrance to the village, in the AONB. Further guidance is available in the village NDP.

 

  1. Finance & Administration
    • Resolution: To carry over to the next financial year as earmarked reserves the amounts budgeted but unspent on projects (e.g. Village Hall refurbishment and Play Areas) that are in hand but not complete. Resolution passed.
    • To note Section 137 expenditure limit for 2017/2018. The limit is £7.42 per elector
    • To approve payments to be made under ancillary powers and within budgeted amounts

 

Description Amount
E de Ridder (salary and expenses) £951.38
D Hollick £409.85
NEST (pension contribution) £56.26
BT Payment Services Ltd £25.44
Biffa Waste Services Ltd £33.31
Information Commissioner £35.00
Blewbury cob wall fund £300.00
Mrs J Blythe (for Autumn Leaves bookings) £45.00
Blewbury Hall Executive Management Committee £104.50
Blewbury Hall Executive Management Committee (refund) £401.50
Churn Benefice £4.00
BVCIC £40.00
      Oxfordshire Playing Fields Association         £40.00
       Payments relating to the Village Hall refurbishment
West Waddy ADP £1,272.60
PROVISIONAL TOTAL                            £3,718.84

All payments were approved.

Action: Clerk to put MP and Paul Whitehead in touch about work to the Curtoys cobwall.

 

  1. Risk Management
    • 05/01/17 To receive an update on annual inspection of play areas and repairs needed prior to the inspection. To receive quotes for landscaping and safety matting installation. The clerk reported that the inspection has been done and a report would be sent in due course. No major concerns have been raised. A quote for a synthetic surface has been received from Fenland Play. MJ reported that “rubber crumb” has met with some opposition in Europe and that its long-term safety is questionable. The Parish Council agreed that it would be foolish to ignore MJ’s expert opinion in this matter and would not pursue this option.
    • 05/01/17 To confirm the appointment of the new internal auditor. To receive a report of the meeting with the auditor and to take action where necessary. The appointment of Mrs Ingham was confirmed. The clerk met with the internal auditor and was handed some information to pass on about the work she does. The internal audit date was agreed with Mrs Ingham.
    • 08/03/17 To review and adopt the risk management plan. To receive various risk assessments. The risk management plan were reviewed and adopted. The clerk received risk assessments for the village hall and allotments, as well as for Style Acre’s “Woofs and Wellies” event starting on Tickers Folly Field.
  2. To receive an update on any issues relating to the Environment. CL reported that he contacted Mr Blackford about the suggestion he had about the Cleve. The clerk spoke to Mrs Smith. Nothing further to report.
  3. To receive an update on any issues relating to Footways, Footpaths, rights of way and open spaces. It was decided that it was not necessary to gravel any footpaths this year. Maintenance to the  Village Hall Play Area could be considered for the Village Clear Up day in May. The litter bin bought for Bessels Way has not yet been installed as it is believed it might be on Mr Allen’s land. Action: Clerk to write to Mr Allen to ask for permission to install the bi
  4. To receive an update on any issues relating to roads, road safety and public transport. It was reported the Wallingford bus is going well but the management group were informed that they have to investigate their liability for tax.
  5. Village Hall Management Committee. To receive an update from the VHMC. The VHMC agreed to temporary repairs and industrial cleaning to put the village hall back in action. The plan is to raise enough money to proceed with the whole project in one phase although response from local businesses have been disappointing.
  6. Correspondence
    • Items requesting a reply & consultations
      • Vale of White Horse draft Local Plan Part 2 Consultation. CL attended the meeting. Action: CL to draft a response to Local Plan Part 2 consultation.
      • Oxfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group – Oxfordshire’s health and care services – The Big Consultation – Phase 1. Noted.
    • Items for information that have been circulated
      • OALC update. Noted.
  1. Any other business. Exceptionally to deal with business received too late for inclusion in agenda.

It was reported that the clerk has had 5 expressions of interests for the potential vacancy for the clerk’s job. It was reported that LI went to the open day at Ardley waste treatment plant.

  1. To set the date of the next meeting. It was agreed to bring the meeting forward by a week. The next meeting of the Parish Council is on 5th April 2017.

 

Meeting closed 21h35

 

 

 

Annex A

Blewbury Parish Council

District Notes for Parish Councillors on Wednesday, 8th March 2017

from Cllr Janet Shelley & Cllr Reg Waite

 

-o-o-o-o-

 

Enforcement Investigations:

 

VE17/42 – Allotment Gardens, Besselsway, Blewbury

Alleged breach: Without advert consent, erection of developer advertisement hoarding and flags.

Reported: 1 February 2017

Case Officer: Corey Webster

6 week target date: 15 March 2017.  12 week target date: 26 April 2017.

Still under investigation.

 

VE17/21 – Blewbury Centre, Besselsway, Blewbury OX11 9NH

Alleged breach: Without planning permission the material change of use of land from equestrian centre to a mixed use of equestrian centre and scrap metal yard

Reported: 12 January 2017

Case Officer: Robert Cramp

6 week target date: 23 February 2017.  12 week target date: 6 April 2017

Site visited by Robert Cramp on 30 January 2017.

Still under investigation.

 

VE16/610 – Blewbury Garage, London Road, Blewbury

Alleged breach: display of illuminated signage without advertisement consent

Reported: 2 December 2016

Case Officer: Corey Webster.

6 week target date: 13 January 2017.  12 week target date: 24 February 2017.

No further news at present.

 

VE16/394 – 12, London Road, Blewbury

Alleged breach: without planning permission, erection of a tree house (raised platform)

Reported: 3 August 2016

Case Officer: Corey Webster

6 week target date: 14 September 2016.  12 week target date: 26 October 2016.

This case is now closed.

-o-o-o-o-

-o-o-o-o-

Easter waste collections:

 

Easter this year falls on the weekend of Friday 14 April to Monday 17 April and, like every year, the public holidays will change the day your bins are emptied. You can find details of Easter waste collections on our website.

 

For further information email admin.vale@biffa.co.uk or call 03000 610610.

-o-o-o-o-

Budget commits millions for Vale communities

  • £18.8 million over four years on leisure for Wantage and Grove
  • £1.3million for the replacement of Abbey Meadow outdoor pool
  • £150,000 to support the new local plan and transport feasibility studies

On Wednesday 15 February, Vale of White Horse District Council set its budget for 2017/18 with millions pledged to support local communities across the district.

Up to £18.8million is being made available over the next four years for a new leisure centre to serve Wantage and Grove, and the replacement of the outdoor swimming pool in Abingdon has been given the go-ahead with £1.3million.

More than £200,000 in grants will be available to support community projects, such as improvements to village halls and providing new sports areas.

A further £100,000 will support the delivery of the Vale Local Plan Part Two, with £50,000 for feasibility studies on transport schemes to support the new housing in the district.

Following a successful trial in 2016, the council is allocating £80,000 per year to carry out a deep cleanse of the district to ensure public areas are as clean and tidy as possible.  The council will also continue to pay £25,000 per year for the next three years to ensure grass verges in urban areas can be cut at least once a year.

The council is committed to safeguarding services across the district. However, with the continued reduction in funding from government, in order to maintain excellent services for residents, the council has increased council tax by 4.3 per cent this year.  From April a Band D household will pay £121.69 for services provided by the district council for 2017/18, an increase of just £5 from 2016/17.

-o-o-o-o-

Successful waste contamination campaign:

 

To reduce contamination in the recycling we collect we’ve been running a campaign to encourage residents to recycle loose or use clear sacks so that waste crews can see what is in each bin before emptying it. Crews do not empty green bins which contain black or coloured sacks.

 

The campaign has been very successful. The quality of the recycling has improved, the contamination rate is falling and the number of bins left un-emptied each day has reduced significantly.

 

A big thank you to all Blewbury’s residents who have helped us achieve these great results.

-o-o-o-o-

Update on Christmas tree collections:

 

This year we collected about 2,187 Christmas trees from collection points across parishes in both South and Vale. This is in addition to the trees that residents have recycled via their brown bins. All trees go to a site in Wallingford to be composted.

 

-o-o-o-o-

 

Great British Spring Clean 2017

 

We are backing a new nationwide campaign to help people who want to clean up their local communities in March 2017.

 

The Great British Spring Clean aims to help bring people together to clear up the litter that blights their local streets and parks.

 

To take part in the campaign and for information on how to set up your own local clean-up event visit www.greatbritishspringclean.org.uk.

 

We are encouraging and supporting groups and individuals who want to help by offering equipment free of charge. If you require litter pickers, sacks, gloves and high visibility jackets please contact Eleanor Bunn by email or call 01235 422146. Please book in your equipment requests as soon as possible as there is limited availability.

 

-o-o-o-o-

 

Voluntary and Community Sector Forum:

 

The annual South and Vale Voluntary and Community Sector (VCS) Forum, supported by the council, will be held on 15 March 2017 (9am-4.30pm). The Forum aims to bring local community and voluntary groups together so they can share ideas and advice.

 

The event, at Cornerstone Arts Centre Didcot, is free to attend and includes two workshops, lunch and a funding information fair, plus time for networking.

 

If you are part of a community or voluntary group in your area please come along.

 

For more details about the day’s programme and to book a place at the Forum please visit the OCVA Forum website. If you have any questions about the event email OCVA or call 01865 251946.

 

Alternatively, contact Anne Richardson, Corporate Projects Officer by email or call 01235 422109.

-o-o-o-o-

Event to help people recycle clothing:

 

‘Re Fashion’ will be held at Oxford Town Hall on Saturday 11 March (12pm-6pm). The event, supported by both district councils, is full of workshops, demonstrations, fashion shows and stalls inspiring people to give clothes a new lease of life. Workshops include learning how to sew, repair and adapt old clothes. For more information go to www.recycleforoxfordshire.org.uk/refashion

-o-o-o-o-

Vale Local Plan Part 2 Consultation:

 

We propose running the Local Plan Part Two consultation from 9 March to 4 May 2017.

 

Details for the dates of consultation events will be provided in the next Local Plan Bulletin which will be circulated to Town and Parish Councils prior to the consultation.

-o-o-o-o-

Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults:

If you have any concerns about the wellbeing of any children, young people or vulnerable adults who you are working with, please report your concerns, in confidence to one of the officers at the Vale (names from Reg and Janet) using the report concern form in the safeguarding policy.

Say something if you see something.

Information will be displayed on the Vale’s and South’s websites shortly.

-o-o-o-o-

Over 60s can swim for a whole month for just £5

 

People aged 60 and over living in rural areas across southern Oxfordshire can claim a month’s swimming sessions for just £5.

 

GO Active Gold is offering vouchers to use at district council leisure centres from 1 April to 31 May.  Residents can sign up for the offer by visiting www.getoxfordshireactive.org/go-active-gold or by calling 01235 422240.  To claim this offer you must register by Saturday 1 April.

 

The leisure centres where the offer can be used are:

  • Abbey Sports Centre, Berinsfield
  • Didcot Wave
  • Faringdon Leisure Centre
  • Henley Leisure Centre
  • Thame Leisure Centre
  • Wantage Leisure Centre
  • White Horse Leisure and Tennis Centre, Abingdon

Please note – this offer is not available to existing ‘Better’ members.

 

-o-o-o-o-

A Better Oxfordshire – better for residents

A new proposal for better local government for Oxfordshire was published on Friday 3 March – offering real power and influence to every local community in the county.

 

The proposal called: ‘A new council for a Better Oxfordshire’, makes the case for abolishing the existing two-tier structure of six councils – replacing them with one single council for Oxfordshire.

 

Each councillor will have greater influence over their area and county decisions and, with support from unitary council staff, they will be able to directly address issues in their local area and support residents.

 

A single council will be responsible for delivering all local services across the county, enabling it to make substantial savings – at least £100 million over five years. Services will be more effectively joined up, with strategic decisions around important issues such as social care and infrastructure having a county-wide approach, whilst important local issues will remain in the control of local people.

 

The annual savings will help protect and improve services in the long term, and help to keep council tax down. Simpler access to services for residents means we are better able to tackle challenges such as the rising demand for adult social care by joining up services such as housing, social services and public health.

 

Residents will benefit through clear accountability for decision-making and service provision, with a single body of councillors all acting at both local and strategic levels and giving the electorate in each area one accountable local representative for all local government services.

 

The full proposal is published at www.betteroxfordshire.org

Oxfordshire County Council elections – Thursday 4 May

Elections is busy preparing for the forthcoming elections. Here’s some keys dates for your diary:

  • 6 March 2017 – Nomination Packs available at Milton Park or you can download a set from the Electoral Commission website
  • Monday 27 March 2017 – Notice of Election published
  • 27 March to 4 April (excluding weekends) – Nomination period – Nomination papers must be hand delivered to the councils’ offices on week days between 9am and 4pm by appointment only and no later than 4pm on Tuesday 4 April 2017
  • Wednesday 5 April – Publication of Persons Nominated
  • Thursday 13 April – Deadline for registering to vote
  • 5pm on Tuesday 18 April – Closing date for Postal Vote Applications
  • 5pm on Tuesday 25 April Closing date for Proxy Vote Applications
  • Thursday 4 May from 7am-10pm – Polling Day

For more information about the election visit the Oxfordshire County Council’s election webpage or email elections@southandvale.gov.uk

 

 

Charity and Volunteer Awards – nominate volunteers or groups

 

Nominations for this year’s OCVA Charity and Volunteer Awards are now open. This prestigious annual event is to celebrate charities, voluntary and community groups as well as not-for-profit enterprise groups and non-statutory groups whose main beneficiaries are in Oxfordshire.

 

Please pass on the word to nominate volunteers or groups and organisations in our districts for an award.  The event takes place on 9 May at Oxford Town Hall. The closing date for nominations is 3 April and you can find all the details on the OCVA website.

 

JS & RWW 8 March 2017

 

Annex B

Lengthman’s Report

Jan.Feb 2017

 

Footpaths

 

Some tree damage along FP24 blocking the path. This was cut up and removed. No other issues.

 

Cemetery

 

The hedge laying has now been completed along  the Bohams Road side and looks good. John Ogden will be planting some Hawthorn slips soon to fill in the gaps.

All the brash has been moved to TFF bonfire  site and will be burnt when it dries out a bit.

Christmas wreaths have been removed.

 

TFF & Car Park

 

A new metal gate has been fitted to TFF from the car park.

 

Play Areas

 

Elaine and I had had a meeting with Fenland concerning the damaged matting in the play area at TFF. They will be quoting for repairs.

There has been some damage at KAP which has been repaired.

 

Recreation Ground

 

No issues.

 

Buildings

 

No issues

 

Equipment

 

A quote has been received for hedge cutting equipment from Julyan West which is very favourable (25% discount)

 

Annex C

Planning report for Parish Council  – April 2017

Planning Applications

All Blewbury planning applications, decisions and Parish Council responses, including items under consideration, can be found in the ‘Parish’ section of the Blewbury website
(http://blewbury.co.uk/parish/planning/), which is updated once a week. Links are also provided to the main Vale Planning site, where full details can be obtained.

 

Responses from the Parish Council:

 

 

P17/V0334/FUL Land at Pound Furlong London Road

Development of a new 2 Bedroom Chalet Bungalow with dormer features.

Parish Council objects on the following grounds:

  • Massing – the combination of height and footprint of the proposed property is far too large for what is a small plot
  • Over-dominance – Being situated close to the eastern boundary of the plot, the proposed property has considerable impact on the neighbouring property the Haven.
  • Lack of amenity space for future residents – although this property may be suitable for the applicants to move into as they wish to downsize, any future resident would be affected by the lack of amenity space.

 

P17/V0535/FUL Hunts Grave Farm Woodway Road

Demolition of existing structures. Erection of three dwellings, with gardens including boundaries, and parking areas

Parish Council has no objections, but would like the applicant to consider carefully the treatment of the eastern and northern boundary, given the sensitive nature of the site at the eastern entrance to the village, in the AONB. Further guidance is available in the village NDP.

 

P17/V0512/FUL Land adjacent to nos 4 & 5 Westbrook Green

Erection of three bedroom detached dwelling

Parish Council objects on the basis of policy P1 in the village NDP: ‘Development outside the existing built area of Blewbury will not be permitted, except for Rural Exception Sites. The built area…does not include…large gardens, paddocks and other undeveloped land in the curtilage of buildings on the edge of the settlement, where they provide a transition between the surrounding countryside and the built-up areas of the settlement…’

 

P17/V0629/HH   Mandalay, Westbrook Street         

Extensions and alterations to existing dwelling to provide additional living accommodation and first floor bedrooms.

Parish Council has no objections.

 

P17/V0602/HH   11 Westbrook Green        

Two storey side and first floor extension, and internal alterations.

Parish Council has no objections.

 

P17/V0552/FUL Blewburton Barns, Hagbourne Road, Aston Upthorpe           

Proposed extension to north of existing workshop

Parish Council has no objections.

 

Decisions from the District Council:

 

P17/V0114/HH   Correen House Bessels Way          

Single storey oak framed orangery extension to rear

Granted.

 

P17/V0130/HH   Barnfield, Nottingham Fee             

Single storey flat roof extension to front and new bay window to side.

Granted.

 

P17/V0002/FUL Pennie Lane Stud, Berry Lane

Full Planning Application for the demolition of the existing and erection of a replacement dwelling.

Granted.

 

Enquiries regarding planning in the parish may be sent to blewburypc@gmail.com