Minutes for May 2014

Minutes of the Parish Council meeting of Blewbury Parish Council held on Wednesday 14th May 2014 at 7.30 pm in the Vale Room

Councillors present: Mr C Lakeland (Chairman), Mr R Farrell, Ms J Gibson, Mr G Reade, Mr R Cooper, Mr M Shayler, Ms V Fox, Mr M Blythe, Mr B Morgan

Also present: E de Ridder (clerk), P Skelton (lengthman), no members of the public

Matters resolved:

  1. Chris Lakeland was elected chair and Jane Gibson vice-chair
  2. It was agreed to spend £500 on the plant room
  3. Ridge and Partners were appointed as QS for the village hall project.
  4. It was decided to sell the pickup to Rob Steele.
  5. It was agreed that the Parish Council would pay £40 toward the hire of the machinery for the allotments.
  6. All payments were approved.
Actions arising from the meeting Target date
1.     Clerk to email GR with details of the Neighbourhood Action Group. As soon as possible
2.     A note to be published in the Bulletin about camping at the chalk pits By next Bulletin deadline
3.     RF to contact Jane Dexter re the Quaker cemetery By June meeting
4.     Clerk to check architect’s fee proposal As soon as possible
5.     BC to contact Alan Heatherington for help with the faulty installation in the plant room As soon as possible
6.     Clerk to put notices on the cemetery bins. As soon as possible
7.     Clerk to enquire if it would be possible to order emergency booklets for the village. By next Bulletin deadline
8.     Clerk to review asset register By June meeting
9.     Clerk to check the status of any planning application for Foxgrove As soon as possible
10.  Action: Clerk to approach previous chairmen re involvement in disciplinary procedures By June meeting
11.  RF to investigate and report back on options for the clerk’s pension By July meeting
12.  Clerk to enquire with Highways if they could clear debris from Footpath 24 and Cow Lane By June meeting
13.  Clerk to send Bulletin a copy of DMMO recommendations As soon as possible
14.  Clerk to contact Mark Sumner re Rubblepit Lane soak away By June meeting
15.  JG to draft a letter to Mr Kauntz By June meeting
16.  Clerk to report dead tree on Cleve path As soon as possible
17.  Clerk to contact Housing Association re hedge As soon as possible
18.  Clerk to contact Ed Vaizey re potholes As soon as possible
19.  Clerk to circulate CPRE letter As soon as possible
20.  Clerk to circulate ORCC letter As soon as possible
21.  Clerk to obtain a quote for big a Biffa bin By June meeting
Actions brought forward
1.     Standing orders to be reviewed and circulated On-going
2.     Croquet Club boundary to be investigated.

The clerk welcomed everyone to the Annual meeting of the Parish Council.

  1. Apologies for absence. MS sent apologies for late arrival. Apologies also received from Cllr Shelley and Cllr Lilly.
  2. Declarations of interest. MS declared an interest in matters relating to the CIC and the pickup. CL declared an interest in the payments.
  3. Election of chairman and vice-chairman. Chris Lakeland was elected chair and Jane Gibson vice-chair. Richard Farrell was thanked for his years of service.
  4. Appointment of members to committees. The committees list was updated. See annex A.
  5. Minutes of the meeting held on 9th April 2014 were accepted and signed as a true record.
  6. County Councillor’s report. No county councillor present
  7. District Councillor’s report. No district councillor.
  8. Police liaison. No Police present.
    • Neighbourhood Action Group. Blewbury currently has no representative. Action: Clerk to email GR with details of the Neighbourhood Action Group. A note to be published in the Bulletin about camping at the chalk pits.
  9. Lengthman’s report. Nothing to report as he was on leave. He hoped to be back at work by the next Wednesday.
  10. Open Forum.

Nothing discussed during Open Forum.

  1. Neighbourhood Plan (NP) The housing needs survey will be conducted in September. A template from other Neighbourhood Plans would be used.
  2. Matters arising.
    • 09/04/14 Football goal for TFF. The goal has been ordered. Nothing further to report.
    • 14/05/14 Quaker cemetery. It was reported that the old Quaker cemetery is possibly on Jane Dexter’s land. Action: RF to contact Jane Dexter re the Quaker cemetery.
  3. Village hall redevelopment
    • Working party. The architect has advised Steve White that additional fees might be incurred. The clerk checked the fee proposal and this will be adhered to for the moment.
    • Appointment of Construction Design Management (CDM) Coordinator and Quantity Surveyor (QS). Three quotes were invited for the role of Quantity Surveyor. On recommendation of the working party, Ridge & Partners were formally appointed. The working party is still considering the quotes for a CDM coordinator.
    • It was reported that a recent concert at Farnley Tyas has been help in aid of the village hall project.
  4. Recreation Ground.
    • 14/12/11 BVCIC. A report has been received from the CIC for the Annual Parish Meeting but no meeting has yet been set up.
    • 11/12/13 Plant room. No response was received from Oxford Pipeworks and CBG. As Farnrise Construction has gone into administration, it was agreed that the work to plant room should be carried out without seeking recourse from contractors. It was agreed that up to £500 could be spent. Action: BC to contact Alan Heatherington for help with the faulty installation in the plant room.
    • 09/04/14 Break-in at the store room. The clerk has obtained quotes for the replacement of the mowers. The insurance broker advised the clerk that it was possible to claim for the damage of the building paying an excess only once. The Parish Council is considering the replacement of the ride-on mower and tractor with one machine. It was reported that James Barrett would be providing a quote to build the internal wall of the store room.
  5. New fencing for the cemetery has been installed. The clerk was asked to remind undertakers that spoil should be removed when a grave has been dug. It was agreed that wheelie bins should be stored at inside of the lychgate so that people will use them appropriately. Action: Clerk to put notices on the cemetery bins.
  6. Ladycroft Park. It was reported that a meeting with Vale Officers and Ed Vaizey has taken place. The matter has been referred to the lawyers at the Vale. The fence has been removed.
  7. Risk Management.
    • 03/07/13 Review of standing orders. On-going.
    • 12/03/14 Review of emergency plan. An emergency booklet “Are you ready” has recently been published. Action: Clerk to enquire if it would be possible to order emergency booklets for the village.
    • 09/04/14 BVGA risk assessment for allotments. The clerk has contacted BGVA for the latest risk assessment
    • 09/04/14 Village Hall Risk Assessment. This was received in December and will be added to the calendar for later in the year.
    • 09/04/14 Review of register of physical assets. The clerk, chairman and internal auditor will review the asset register. Action: Clerk to review asset register
    • 08/05/14 Council document register update. Action: clerk to update council document register.

MS joined the meeting.

  1. Planning & Housing.
    • 02/02/06 Planning Committee Report: See Annex B – planning report, attached.
    • 08/11/12 Current applications

P14/V0769/FUL, Whiteshoot Farm Blewbury OX11 9NL. Erection of a pig building consisting of 1 rows – 16 pens. Erection of a building to be used as a feed store. 5th Phase

P14/V0768/FUL, Whiteshoot Farm Blewbury OX11 9NL. Erection of pig buildings consisting of 2 rows – 16 pens per row. 4th Phase.

P14/V0766/FUL, Whiteshoot Farm Blewbury OX11 9NL. Erection of pig buildings consisting of 2 rows – 16 pens per row – Phase 3.

Blewbury PC has no objection to these 3 applications.

A further application was received after the agenda was finalised:

P14/V0921/FUL, Blewbury C of E Primary School Westbrook Street Blewbury Didcot OX11 9QB. Installation of solar photovoltaic panels to the roof of the School. Blewbury PC has no objection.

Prior to the meeting a member of the public enquired about building work being carried out at Foxgrove. Action: Clerk to check the status of any planning application for Foxgrove.

  • 11/09/13 Planning policy. A standard response was received but no formal response was yet received. The clerk also investigated why the PC no longer is consulted about or informed of tree works. She was advised that a new email alert system would come into effect soon.
  1. Finance & Administration
    • Statement of accounts – 2013-2014. The clerk is in the process of finalising the accounts.
    • Adoption of disciplinary code. The disciplinary code was circulated prior to the meeting. Some amendments were suggested, including involving previous chairmen if a disciplinary meeting is held. Action: Clerk to approach previous chairmen re involvement in disciplinary procedures. A grievance policy would also be drafted and circulated. Some Health and Safety issues were also identified and will be addressed.
    • Lengthman’s appraisal and review of hours. The lengthman has taken some leave. It was reported that a new cumulative weekly timesheet has been designed. CL will accompany the lengthman when he resumes his duties.
    • Clerk’s pension. Action: RF to investigate and report back on options for the clerk’s pension.
    • Pickup: sale and insurance. Two potential buyers have come forward for the pickup. It was agreed to accept Rob Steele’s offer of £500. As the insurance will not be renewed the pickup will be sold prior to the renewal date.
    • Payments for approval to be made under ancillary powers and within budgeted amounts
Description Amount
E de Ridder £842.90
P Skelton £268.20
E de Ridder (expenses) £86.23
BT Payment Services Ltd (direct debit) £21.60
White Horse Horticulture £340.00
The Broker Network (including pickup £364.49) £134.02
       A Allen £300.00
Payments relating to Village Hall redevelopment:
·       West Waddy ADP £1,575.00
Payments relating to Neighbourhood Plan:
·       Alex Elderfield £105.00
·       Blewbury Village Community Interest Company £35.00
TOTAL                   £3,707.95

 

CL declared an interest in the payments. The Village Hall informed the clerk that the payment of £120 previously made for the Neighbourhood Plan launch, should be returned and the lower fee of £80 was agreed. A new cheque was issued. It was also agreed that the cable tensioner needed for the zip wire could be purchased from Mo Pottle for £25.

All payments were approved.

  1. Allotments.
      • Grant for further works. The clerk reported back on the budget previously agreed for the allotment extension. The agreed budget was £2000 with £200 coming from BVGA. As this budget is very close to being reached, it was agreed that the Parish Council would pay £40 toward the hire of the machinery.
        1. Footways, Footpaths and rights of way.
          • Action: Clerk to enquire with Highways if they could clear debris from Footpath 24 and Cow Lane.
          • DMMO recommendations. Recommendations were received about the DMMO applications. Action: Clerk to send Bulletin a copy of DMMO recommendations. Item closed.
          • Rubblepit Lane. The clerk was contacted by a resident about flooding along Rubblepit Lane. The resident was asked to contact Mark Sumner at OCC. It was reported that in the past there was a soak away on this lane. Action: Clerk to contact Mark Sumner re Rubblepit Lane soak away.

    It was also reported that access along Coffin Way was a problem due to the low canopy. MB offered to speak to Mr Kauntz if he sees him. Action: JG to draft a letter to Mr Kauntz.

    It was also reported that a dead tree is slightly over-hanging the Cleve path. Action: Clerk to report dead tree on Cleve path.

    Lastly it was also mentioned that the Dibleys hedge on London Rd is causing a problem again. Action: Clerk to contact Housing Association re hedge.

        1. Roads, Road safety and public transport

    The pothole in front of the garage was fixed. Following a conversation with Highways it was agreed the clerk could contact Ed Vaizey about funding for potholes. Action: Clerk to contact Ed Vaizey re potholes.

    The clerk has contacted Cllr Lilly about a seat at the Load of Mischief. Dibleys have been asked about a bench but no reply has been received.

        1. Village Hall management committee report. The VHMC has paid the additional insurance premium. The VHMC has invoiced the school for the wear and tear of the car park. The Band is expanding and would like to use the Village Hall on Wednesdays. The booking secretary has resigned.
          • The bin should be removed from the Chalk Pits and a sign put up to take litter home. It was reported that the Eastfields bin has completely disappeared. This has already been reported to the Vale. Action: Clerk to obtain a quote for big a Biffa bin.
          • Trees in the play area. SSE advised that trees will be felled in June.
        2. Correspondence
          • Items requesting a reply & consultations
            • Summer Town and Parish Forum – 17 June 2014 – Abingdon Guildhall. Noted
          • Items for information
            • OALC update. Noted
            • Oxfordshire Local Transport Plan 4. Noted
            • Didcot Community Forum – Tuesday 3 June 2014. Noted
            • CPRE newsletter. Noted. Action: Clerk to circulate CPRE letter.
            • Community Network Information – Age UK. Noted
            • ORCC policy bulletin. Noted. Action: Clerk to circulate ORCC letter
        1. Any Other Business. Fly-tipping in the Millbrook was mentioned. Sustainable Blewbury will put traps in the Millbrook to catch debris in the brook. A note should be put in the Bulletin about debris in the Millbrook and elsewhere.

    JG reminded RF about his investigation of the Croquet Club boundary.

        1. Details of the next meeting.

    The next meeting will be on Jen 11th in the Vale Room. The Annual Parish meeting will be held on May 21st.

    Meeting closed 21h35

     

     

    Annex A – Committees

    Allotments
    Mark Shayler

    Cemetery
    Jane Gibson , Chris Lakeland

    Finance
    Richard Farrell, Bob Cooper, Chris Lakeland, George Reade

    Footpaths
    Jane Gibson, Vanessa Fox

    Planning
    Vanessa Fox

    Blewbury Village Community Interest Company
    Mark Shayler

    Recreation Ground Enhancement Working Group for Phase 2
    Jane Gibson, Mark Shayler, Bob Cooper, Chris Lakeland

    Small Grants
    Jane Gibson, Bob Cooper

    Transport and Road Safety
    Bob Cooper

    Trees
    Chris Lakeland

    Cycle Paths
    Mark Shayler

    Village Hall Redevelopment
    Jane Gibson, Chris Lakeland

    Neighbourhood Plan Working Party
    Richard Farrell, Vanessa Fox

    Associated Committees

    Cob Wall Fund
    Jane Gibson

    Reporter to Blewbury Bulletin
    Jane Gibson

    Village Hall
    Chris Lakeland, Richard Farrell

     

    Annex B –Planning report for Parish Council – May 2014 (June Bulletin)

    Planning Applications

    For full details see the Vale website – http://bit.ly/u2FSqN

    Responses from the Parish Council:

    P14/V0766/FUL, P14/V0768/FUL and P14/V0769 – Erection of pig buildings, Whiteshoot Farm – No objection.

    Decisions from the District Council:

    P14/V0414/FUL – Lane to rear of Fieldside House, London Road – Erection of new two bedroom dwelling. Granted.

    P14/V0379/LB – Carramores, Church Road. Repairs to east gable wall of timber framed building, including reduction in size of chimney stack. Granted.

    Tree work is to be carried out at Morters, Church Lane: a horse chestnut with bleeding canker and the massive ash tree, which has a fungus (Inonotus hispidus), are to be felled.