Minutes May 2016

Minutes
Of the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council
held in the Vale Room on Wednesday 11th May 2016 at 7.30 p.m

Councillors present: Mr C Lakeland (Chairman)(CL), Ms J Gibson (JG), Mr M Penington (MP), Mrs C Cameron (CC), Mr M Shayler (MS). Also present: Mrs Elaine de Ridder (clerk), David Hollick (Lengthman), County Councillor Lilly, 3 members of the public.

Matters resolved:

  1. The Parish Council formally approved the Blewbury Neighbourhood Development Plan
  2. The Parish Council motor insurance renewal quote was accepted.
  3. All payments were approved.

 

Actions arising from the meeting Target date
1.      Clerk to seek advice and a quote for improvement to the Savages footpath. By June meeting
2.      Clerk to write to Rustning Cottage about their hedge As soon as possible
3.      Clerk to inform the BNDP team of the approval and thank them As soon as possible
4.      CL & Clerk to write to Steve White setting out the Parish Council’s commitment to the village hall refurbishment in terms of capital and a loan application As soon as possible
5.      Clerk to ask Came and Co if plant room faults are covered under insurance By June meeting
6.      Clerk to identify the necessary spending powers to pay for the plant room remedial works. As soon as possible
7.      MP to write to CIC confirming PC’s support for remedial work of the plant room. MP to pass on details of faults to JG. Clerk to pass on contact details of contractors to JG. As soon as possible
8.      Clerk to follow up with MB about the complaint from a resident re cycling on a footpath. Clerk to respond to the resident if it has not yet been resolved By June meeting
9.      MS to order gravel for Friday May 20th. Clerk to ask for a Stop Press and BVS Facebook to inform residents of the new date for gravel spreading. May 19th
10.  Clerk to write to housing association about the Dibleys hedge By June meeting
11.  Clerk to remind Cllr Lilly about Coffin Way email previously sent By June meeting
12.  JG to draft TFF usage policy By June meeting

 

  1. To receive apologies for absence. Apologies from District Councillor Shelley, District Councillor Waite, Ms M Jacobs, Mr M Blythe, Ms V Fox, Mrs L Inglis.
  2. To elect a chairman and vice chairman. Mr Chris Lakeland and Mrs Jane Gibson were unanimously appointed chair and vice-chair.
  3. To appoint of members to committees. No changes were made.
  4. To record declarations of interest. MP declared an interest in planning.
  5. To approve the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 13th April 2016. The minutes were accepted and signed as a true record.
  6. To receive the County Councillor’s report. The County Councillor reported that planning permission has been granted for 4,400 houses in the Parish of Harwell. Chilton slips are 3 weeks ahead of schedule. The Milton interchange is now open. Bus subsidies will be cut on 20th Cllr Lilly will support the village transport representatives who have suggested an alternative. It was reported that the 131 bus to Wallingford might also be rescued with donations as it costs very little to run. The inadequate parking spaces for new developments were also mentioned.
  7. To receive the District Councillor’s report. As the District Councillor had to attend another meeting, a written report was sent. See Annex A.
  8. To receive the Lengthman’s report. The lengthman’s report was circulated prior to the meeting. See Annex B. There appears to be a problem with the borehole pump at the Recreation Ground but the CIC is aware. It was decided that advice and a quote should be sought to see if the Savages path could be improved. It was mentioned that some repairs were needed to the tractor. Action: Clerk to seek advice and a quote for improvement to the Savages footpath.
  9. Open Forum.

Members of the public came to express their concern about the hedge on Rustning Cottage which makes it very difficult to see if leaving Ladycroft Park or Bridus Way. Action: Clerk to write to Rustning Cottage about their hedge.

The new owner of Alden Farm came to tell the PC about his long-term plans for Alden Farm which includes further development of the yards and associated housing. Concern was expressed about the junction with the Alden Farm road and the A417. It was mentioned that cyclists using footpaths would be stopped and challenged. It was confirmed that cyclists are not allowed to use footpaths and may spook the horses. Dogs should be kept on a lead for the same reason.

  1. Blewbury Neighbourhood Development Plan (BNDP). To receive an update on the Neighbourhood Plan if available. Following the statutory consultation phase, final amendments were made which were circulated to the Parish Council. The Parish Council formally approved the plan. Action: Clerk to inform the BNDP team of the approval and thank them.
  2. Matters arising
    • 13/01/15  To receive designs and quotes for Clubhouse and Melland Room signs. Highways supplied the clerk with the name of the original installer of the fingerpost sign. The clerk requested a quote.  
  3. Village hall redevelopment
    • To receive an update on the progress of the working party and fundraising. It was reported that the WREN grant application was successful. The VHMC will be the third party for the grant. The grant application to the VWHDC was also successful but the wrong amount was paid into the Parish Council account. This amount will be refunded and a new cheque will be issued by VWHDC. It was also agreed that a letter of support be given to the refurbishment working group setting out the level of support by the Parish Council. Action: CL & Clerk to write to Steve White setting out the Parish Council’s commitment to the village hall refurbishment in terms of capital and a loan application
  4. Recreation Ground
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update from the PC representative on the BVCIC. MP gave a report of all the faults which have been identified in the plant room. An estimate of the cost to redesign the plant room and correct the faults was given to the PC. It was agreed that the Parish Council should underwrite the necessary changes. It was delegated to the clerk to find out if a grant should be paid to the BVCIC or if the PC should pay directly for the works to be carried out. Actions: Clerk to ask Came and Co if plant room faults are covered under insurance. Clerk to identify the necessary spending powers to pay for the plant room remedial works. MP to write to CIC confirming PC’s support for remedial work of the plant room. MP to pass on details of faults to JG. Clerk to pass on contact details of contractors to JG.
  5. Planning & Housing
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update on speculative approaches. Nothing to report.
    • 02/02/06 To receive the planning committee report. See Annex C.
    • 08/11/12 To approve responses to current applications

P16/V0904/HH 4 Sheencroft Cottages, Didcot Road. Proposed garage conversion & extension including loft conversion.

Blewbury PC has no objection.

 

P16/V0883/HH Carramores, Church Road. Variation of condition 2 on P15/V2534/HH &

P15/V2535/LB  1. Alterations to existing single storey extension to existing cottage to provide new entrance hall, ground floor bedroom, bathroom and dressing room. 2. Demolition of existing outbuildings and construction replacement garage/workshop and garden outbuilding.

Blewbury Parish Council has no objection but would like to request that any diversion or change in the streamflow should be subject to the judgment of the Environment Agency and that the interests of the downstream residents be taken into account

 

P16/V0888/HH Pilgrims Way, The Pilgrim’s Way   First floor extension in place of the existing roof to create a storey and a half dwelling; alteration of the porch roof; the raising of the chimney to accommodate the new roof pitch; and the rendering and cladding of the exterior.

Blewbury Parish Council objects.  This development will be over-dominant in relation to Pilgrim’s Rest, next door, and will cause loss of light, and especially of privacy: the south-west velux window in the main roof looks directly into a bedroom window of Pilgrim’s west.  It is also felt that the render-and clapboard finish is too modern, and out of keeping with the houses in its immediate vicinity.

 

P16/V1083/MPO Part of Huntsgrave Farm, Woodway Road, Blewbury. Modification to Planning Obligation P83/V0179/O to reduce the land affected by P15/V2356/FUL to allow the construction of 2 dwellings.

The Parish Council has not yet been formally notified of this application and will consider the response once the paperwork has been received.

 

P16/V1106/FUL Alden Farm, Aldens Lane, Upton. Change of use for disused milking parlour to 3 dwellings.

Blewbury PC has no objection.

 

Not on the agenda:

Appeal against Downside planning enforcement. The Parish Council was consulted on this matter. The clerk sent a copy of the response of the planning application to the officer dealing with the matter.

 

  1. Finance & Administration
    • To receive an update about the 2016 audit. Proposal and acceptance of annual accounts. The clerk is preparing the accounts for the internal audit and will present it to the next meeting for acceptance.
    • To agree the renewal of Parish Council motor insurance. The quote was accepted and the insurance will be renewed.
    • Update on new financial regulations. A new briefing on audit was issued. The clerk and internal auditor have familiarised themselves with it.
    • To approve payments to be made under ancillary powers and within budgeted amounts

 

Description

Amount
E de Ridder (salary and expenses) £893.48
D Hollick (salary and expenses) £207.00
NEST (pension contribution) £53.45
BT Payment Services Ltd £23.98
Biffa Waste Services Ltd £33.31
White Horse Horticulture £270.00
Came and Company £139.07
Post Office Ltd (For Southern Electric) £20.02
Payments relating to the Village Hall refurbishment  
West Waddy ADP £2,709.00
Vale of White Horse District Council (repayment of grant paid in error) £6,500.00
TOTAL              £10,849.31

 

All payments were approved.

 

  1. To receive an update on any issues relating to Footways, Footpaths, rights of way and open spaces. Sustainable Blewbury has written to OCC about horses using Rubble Pit Lane and the state of Cow Lane. Action: Clerk to follow up with MB about the complaint from a resident re cycling on a footpath. Clerk to respond to the resident if it has not yet been resolved.

A new date for gravelling was set for the 21st of May. Two meeting points are to be at Robinson Close/FP24 and one at Westbrook St/Curtoys.  Action: MS to order gravel for Friday May 20th. Clerk to ask for a Stop Press and BVS Facebook to inform residents of the new date for gravel spreading. JG will put a “hedges” note in the Bulletin and also remind residents that they should inform the clerk if children are planning on camping at the Chalk Pit. Action: Clerk to write to housing association about the Dibleys hedge.

  1. To receive an update on any issues relating to roads, road safety and public transport. There is an imminent meeting about the future of the 94/95 buses. The Parish Council will also be anticipating a request for a grant of about £100 towards the running cost of the 131 Wallingford bus. Action: Clerk to remind Cllr Lilly about Coffin Way email previously sent.
  2. Cemetery
    • 02/06/15 To receive an update on the electronic cemetery map system and weed treatment. The final draft has been returned to the Pear Technology. It was agreed that no further weed treatment was necessary at this stage.
  3. Village Hall Management Committee. To receive an update from the VHMC. Nothing to report.
  4. Risk Management
    • 09/09/15 To receive the report of the annual play area inspections. The report has been received and circulated. The Parish Council thanked the lengthman for his good work. Item closed.
    • 09/03/16 To receive the BVGA risk assessment. Received. Item closed.
    • 09/03/16 To receive Public & Employers liability certificates from grass cutting contractor. Still awaiting.
    • 11/05/16 To draft and agree a policy about the use of TFF. Action: JG to draft TFF usage policy
  5. Correspondence
    • Items requesting a reply & consultations
      • Why Your Council needs to object to the Strategic Economic Plan – Need not Greed Oxon. Update noted.
      • Email about weed killing in the cemetery. See item 18.1
      • Request to erect Croquet Club signs on Tickers Folly Field. Agreed.
    • Items for information that have been circulated
      • OALC update
  1. Any other business. JG mentioned that she will be including something in the Bulletin about maintaining grass verges.

Exceptionally to deal with business received too late for inclusion in agenda.

  1. To set the date of the next meeting. The Annual Parish Meeting is on May 18th. The next meeting of the Parish Council is on 8th June 2016.

 

Meeting closed 21h35

 

Annex A

Blewbury Parish Council

Notes for Parish Councillors on Wednesday, 11th May 2016

from Cllr Janet Shelley & Cllr Reg Waite

 

-o-o-o-o-

 

Apologies:

 

Cllrs Janet Shelley and Reg Waite tender their apologies as they are summoned to attend the full Council Meeting in Wantage tonight

 

-o-o-o-o-

Speculative Development Planning Applications:

 

P15/V1944/O – Outline planning permission for up to 35 (revised from 40)

     Refusal 29th January 2016.

                             For your information Planning application no P15/V0969

                             for 50 dwellings on land in Lower Road, Chilton was

                             refused 29 October 2015, but applicant has now

                            submitted an Appeal. Appeal start date – 2nd March 16.

                            Backlog of cases – no Inspectorate officer appointed yet.

 

P15/V3038/O – Outline planning permission for the erection of 57 new dwellings

with associated parking and amenity provision s, on land on the

Western side of Bessel’s Way.

Case Officer: Peter Brampton

Received: 22nd December 2015

Registered: 7th January 2016

Consultation: 7th January to 10th February 2016

Target decision date: 7th April 2016

More than 200 objections submitted.

                             Applicant submitted amended application 29 Feb 2016

  • still for 57 dwellings and at present target decision

date remains at 7th April 2016.  No change of date and

am currently awaiting update.                       

 

 

-o-o-o-o-

Garden Waste Customers:

Existing garden waste customers can take advantage of offers and discounts.

Next week commencing 18th May garden waste customers can leave double the amount for collection so long as it is in open boxes or bags by the brown bin – no trade bags permitted.

-o-o-o-o-

Garden Waste Bins:

If residents sign up to the garden waste service in June or July, they will receive a 10% discount t off their annual fee.  During this time existing customers can get the discount off their annual fee for an additional bin.

-o-o-o-o-

White Horse Leisure and Tennis Centre:

 

This centre is set for substantial £1.7million gym extension and will include the latest Technogym ‘Excite@ equipment comprising treadmills, recline bikes, crossovers and synchro machines offering a full cardiovascular workout.

 

For further details and a short video please visit the Vale’s website.

 

-o-o-o-o-

 

JS & RWW 10 May 2016

 

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

Annex B

Lengthman’s Report

April 2016

 

Footpaths

Footpaths are in fairly good condition. Some concern about Savages path which get very muddy at times.

Not sure what can be done!

Grass cutting is well underway.

 

Cemetery

Looking good at the moment. Still a lot of moss in some areas even after last year’s treatment.

 

TFF & Car Park

 

TFF Ok. Only minimal growth but looking good with daisies and buttercups etc.

Car Park still awaiting more surfacing.

 

Play Areas

We now have John  Clark’s Report which indicates the areas for remedial action. Minimal.

TFF – Equipment at functioning well and very well used.

Remedial work needed on the matting in some areas where the grass and soil have been worn away. Difficult to do, when being used continuously.

KAP Area

No issues.

 

Recreation Ground

Some issues with flooding in the area behind The Clubhouse as the borehole well seems to be overflowing. Simon Barrett is dealing with it.

 

Storage Buildings

No issues.

 

Equipment

Mowers all OK but broken hydraulic pipe on tractor ( corrosion from salt ). New pipe obtained and awaiting fitting.

 

Annex C

Planning report for Parish Council  – May 2016

Planning Applications

All Blewbury planning applications, decisions  and Parish Council responses, including items under consideration, can be found in the ‘Parish’ section of the Blewbury website
(http://blewbury.co.uk/parish/planning/), which is updated once a week. Links are also provided to the main Vale Planning site, where full details can be obtained.

 

Responses from the Parish Council:

P16/V0834/HH – Hill View, Bessels Lea Road. Blewbury Parish Council objects on the grounds that the retrospective application for the fence (which is the east, not the west, fence) is contrary to two matters to The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 Part 2 Minor Operations Class A gates, fences, walls etc.  Permitted development A ‘The erection, construction, maintenance, improvement or alteration of a gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure.

Development not permitted.

A.1 Development is not permitted by Class A if— (a) the height of any gate, fence, wall or means of enclosure erected or constructed adjacent to a highway used by vehicular traffic would, after the carrying out of the development, exceed 1 metre above ground level.

And most importantly from the same legislation

‘create an obstruction to the view of persons using the highway as to be likely to cause danger to such persons; (ii) in any other case, 1 metre above ground level;’ it does indeed cause an obstruction to the view of drivers coming out of Bessels Lea Road.  Moreover the 30 mph sign has been moved, and is not properly visible to traffic coming to the south.
For the extension to the house, Blewbury Parish Council has no objection.
P16/V0888/HH – Pilgrim’s Way, Pilgrims Way – Extension to the side and addition of an upper storey.  Raising of chimney, and rendering and cladding of the exterior.   Blewbury Parish Council objects.  This development will be over-dominant in relation to Pilgrim’s Rest, next door, and will cause loss of light, and especially of privacy: the south-west velux window in the main roof looks directly into a bedroom window of Pilgrim’s Rest.  It is also felt that the render-and-clapboard finish is too modern, and out of keeping with the houses in its immediate vicinity, as is the very dominant new gable. It should also be noted that the two small velux windows, over the small room at the west of the building, cannot in fact be built as that roof goes under the floor of Pilgrim’s Rest, next door.

Decisions from the District Council:

P16/V0511/HH and P16/V0513/LB – Church End Cottage, Church End.  Rear single storey extension and associated internal alterations.  GRANTED.

P16/V0339/FUL – Dornie Lodge, Bessels Lea Road.  Demolition of existing boundary fence and erection of boundary wall.  GRANTED.

 

Enquiries regarding planning in the parish may be sent to blewburypc@gmail.com