Minutes May 2018

Minutes
Of the Meeting of the Parish Council
held in the Vale Room on Wednesday 9th May 2018 at 7.30 p.m.

Councillors present: Mr C Lakeland (Chair), Mrs L Inglis (LI), Ms Miriam Jacobs (MJ), Mr Mark Shayler (MS), Mr Mark Blythe (MB), Mr M Penington (MP), Mrs Charlotte Cameron (CC), Also present: Michelle Taylor (clerk), Mr David Hollick (Lengthman).

Matters resolved:

  1. All payments were approved.
  2. To ratify the re-appointment of Sheila Loy and Jackie Maguire as PC representatives to the United Charities for a further period of three years. All agreed
  3. It was agreed that the period for the exercise of public rights- 1st July for 10 working days.
  4. To review tractor Insurance quotation-All agreed
  5. It was agreed to remove barriers that are in safe places, where children are not at risk of busy roads
  6. CPRE-Annual Membership-All agreed
Actions arising from meeting Target date
1.      Cllr Lakeland and Cllr Penington to progress the fault in the sewage blower at clubhouse. As soon as possible
2.      Cllr Inglis to compose annual planning report. 16th May 2018
3.      Clerk to send letter to Sheila Loy to confirm re-appointment of both Sheila Loy and Jackie Maguire as PC representatives to the United Charities for a further 3 years. As soon as possible
4.   Cllr Lakeland to forward all GDPR documentation to the Clerk. By 25th May 2018
5.      Clerk to upload GDPR documents on to PC section of the website. By 25th May 2018
6.      Cllr Lakeland to respond to original email ref Cycle path As soon as possible
7.      Cllr Inglis to investigate trees and report back to PC members. By next meeting
8.   Clerk to contact County Councillor Fox-Davies ref salt bin refills. By next meeting
Urgent Actions to be followed up at next meeting  
1.      Update emergency plan.  
2.      Follow up on Skatepark quotes for repairs  

 

  • To receive apologies for absence. Apologies Cllr Gibson, Cllr Lomas, County Councillor Mike Fox-Davies and District Councillor’s Reg Waite and Janet Shelley.
  • To elect a chairman and vice chairman. Chris Lakeland was elected chair for another year, and also Lydia Inglis was elected vice-chair for a further year.
  • To record declarations of interest.  No declarations were made.
  • To approve the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 11th April 2018. The minutes were accepted and signed as a true record.
  • To receive the County Councillor’s report. County Councillor’s report was circulated prior to the meeting. See Annex A.
  • To receive the District Councillor’s report. District Councillor’s report was not received.
  • To receive the Lengthman’s report. Report was circulated prior to meeting. See Annex B. Issues were raised over barbecues being held at TTF without authorisation from the PC. It was announced the trim trail equipment is continuing to be installed, and some pieces are being re-sized due to an error from the installation team.

 

  • Open Forum. Nothing discussed.
  • Matters arising

To report back on actions arising at previous meeting. All actions were taken apart from obtaining quote for skatepark repairs-Ongoing. And the PC are still awaiting a reply from the grants team reference S106 funding for the trim trail.

 

  • Village hall redevelopment

10.1 To receive an update on the progress of the refurbishment project with reference to potential builder’s MD and fundraising if available. It was reported that the new builder’s MD, have agreed to provide a quotation for the refurbishment project, and will be meeting with the VHMC on the 23rd May to present. Awaiting report.

  • Recreation Ground
    • To receive an update from working group on the future of the clubhouse if available. It was  reported that the CIC directors were in the process of formulating a plan for alternative future management of the clubhouse. Ongoing.
    • Update on the Borehole inspection, its consequences and a plan of action. It was reported that the UV bulbs have now been changed and water re-tested and is partially compliant with UK water standards. A further disinfection of the system is scheduled. Issues have arisen with the sewage blower unit at the Clubhouse Action: Cllr Lakeland and Cllr Penington to progress the matter
  • Planning & Housing
    • To receive the planning committee report. See Annex C for the planning report. Action: Cllr Inglis to compose annual planning report.
    • To approve responses to current applications:

 

P18/V1025/HH

Pilgrims Way The Pilgrim’s Way Blewbury Didcot OX11 9NG

Amend the window sizes and positioning as approved under application P16/V0888/HH granted 17th August 2016. Parish Council has no objection.

 

P18/V0971/HH

Sawyers South Street Blewbury Didcot OX11 9PR

Internal alterations including garage conversion to bedroom with en-suite shower room and w.c. Single storey back extension to form family bathroom and additional bedroom. Construction of detached timber framed single garage, car port and log store. Parish Council has no objection.

 

P18/V0911/HH 

Badgers Holt South Street Blewbury Didcot OX11 9PR

Proposed two storey side extension, external refurbishment and internal alterations to existing dwelling. Parish Council has no objection.

  • Finance & Administration
    • To receive any update on S106 contributions. Awaiting reply from new grants officer.
    • To ratify the re-appointment of Sheila Loy and Jackie Maguire as PC representatives to the United Charities for a further period of three years. All agreed. Action: Clerk to send letter to Sheila Loy to confirm re-appointment of both Sheila Loy and Jackie Maguire as PC representatives to the United Charities for a further 3 years.
    • Accounts and audit for 2017-2018. Proposal and acceptance of annual accounts. To note the start of the period for the exercise of public rights. 1st July for 10 working days.
    • To approve payments to be made under ancillary powers and within budgeted amounts. All payments approved.

 

PAYEE

Description / Power to spend Amount
M Taylor Clerk’s salary and expenses £670.16
D Hollick Lengthman’s salary and expenses £532.92
NEST Clerk’s pension £49.97
White Horse Horticulture Grass cutting contract £200.00
BT Payment Services Ltd Clubhouse line rental and Wifi £28.08
Biffa Waste Services Ltd Waste services £32.35
Post Office Ltd SSE Electricity Supply to Scout Hut, Recreation Ground £35.56
Mrs J Gibson RE-Vamp Multiserve-Millennium Plaque Engraved £35.00
Mr A Allen Allotment rent £300.00
CPRE Annual Membership £36.00
Lister Wilder Limited Machinery Repairs £87.11
Came & Company Tractor Insurance (Awaiting renewal price) £142.24
Synergy Boreholes & Systems Ltd Full Service and Bacterial Test at Blewbury Sports ground £540.00
Total   £2726.89

 

 

VWHDC payment moved to next month so within financial year- £37.50

New total amount: £ 2689.39

  • Risk Management.
    • 05/01/17 To receive an update on TFF Play Space and quotes for TFF car park resurfacing. It was reported the trim trail installation is still ongoing, and a suggestion of a possible board with instructions on how to use the equipment would be useful. TFF car park resurfacing is still ongoing-Awaiting S106 new grants officer.
    • 11/10/2017 To receive an update on the progress of our Emergency Plan and SSE communities funding for contingency items. Emergency Plan is now in the final stages. Contingency items list still ongoing.
    • 14/03/18 GDPR – to receive an update on GDPR processes moving forward for BPC. Documents circulated. Action: Cllr Lakeland to forward all GDPR documentation to the Clerk. Action: Clerk to upload GDPR documents on to PC section of the website.

14.4 09/05/18     To review tractor Insurance quotation-All agreed.

 

  • To receive an update on any issues relating to the Environment. An issue had been reported regarding the water at the Cleeve-Possible pollution. It was confirmed the water has been investigated and the murkiness was due to the chalk levels within the water.

 

  • To receive an update on any issues relating to Footways, Footpaths, rights of way and open spaces
    • 11/04/18 To receive an update on whether or not to remove barriers on footpaths. It was agreed that PC policy was to eventually remove all barriers in safe places where children are not at risk of busy roads.
    • 11/04/18 To receive an update on plan for gravel spreading on footpaths. Ongoing for September start.
    • 09/05/18 To approve a course of action relating to recent communications on a cycle path. Email circulated to PC members from SODC/VWHDC. Action: Cllr Lakeland to respond to original email.
    • 09/05/18 To approve a course of action relating to the Cobb Wall. Issues were raised over the trees hanging above the cobb walls, restricting access for repair. Action: Cllr Inglis to investigate trees and report back to PC members.

 

 

  • To receive an update on the outdoor Gym Equipment.
    • 14/03/2018 To receive an update on the Gym Equipment at TFF. To update the council on the availability of the S106 funds. Installation has started. Still awaiting reply from VWH ref S106 funds (Item 14.1)
  • To receive an update on any issues relating to roads, road safety and public transport. 18.1 08/11/17 Update on the Oxford Cambridge expressway group and decide on any further course of action. Nothing to report-Ongoing.

18.2 13/12/17 Update on Salt bins in and around the village. Ongoing. Action: Clerk to contact County Councillor Fox-Davies ref salt bin refills.

18.3 14/02/18 To discuss the conditions of local roads and decide on any course of action. Action ongoing.

  • Village Hall Management Committee. To receive an update from the VHMC. Nothing to report.
  • Correspondence
    • Items requesting a reply & consultations
    • Cycle Way-South Oxfordshire and Vale District Councils-Circulated.
    • CPRE-Annual Membership-All agreed
  • Items for information that have been circulated
  • Website Correspondence and Uploads on PC section. GDPR (Item 14.3)

 

  • Any other business. Exceptionally to deal with business received too late for inclusion in agenda. Nothing discussed.
  • To set the date of the next meeting of the PC. The next Parish Council meeting will be held on the 13th June in the Vale room.

                                                          Meeting closed 21:08 pm

 

 Annex A:

 

REPORT TO BLEWBURY PARISH COUNCIL MAY 2018

FROM CLLR MIKE FOX-DAVIES

 

GENERAL OCC REPORT

 

COUNTY COUNCIL’S FIRST THOUGHTS ON OXBRIDGE EXPRESSWAY

 

As the highways authority, OCC was asked for its views on the proposed Oxford to Cambridge Expressway. The submission says that until Highways England publishes a preferred route OCC cannot make a formal response on the proposal. Key points from OCC’s initial response to Highways England sent in April 2018 are:

 

OCC welcomes the further development work and engagement taking place on the Expressway project and the opportunity to give views to Highways England. However, at this stage, OCC is not able to indicate a corridor preference, given that the technical and other supporting work required to inform the decision on a preferred corridor is not yet complete.

 

OCC supports the strategic objectives and purpose of the Expressway project, recognising the opportunity it brings to support and enable growth and development, enhance connectivity and take forward innovation and smart technology. However, following detailed discussion on the project between officers and members, there are some important principles which, in addition to the published assessment criteria, should be integral to the corridor selection and decision-making process. In Oxfordshire, these include:

 

  1. Ensuring that the Expressway corridor does not increase pressure on the existing, already overstretched strategic highway network. Specifically, the Expressway must not use the section of the A34 through central Oxfordshire. This section is where the A34 currently operates as both a regional/national strategic route and a local distributor route (forming part of the Oxford Ring Road) and it is essential that the new Expressway infrastructure provides a completely separate strategic route to avoid this conflict of use;
  2. Ensuring that the Expressway corridor minimises the impact on the existing highway network, i.e. it should not use existing local road networks or draw significant strategic traffic directly into local road networks / highway infrastructure which would not be able to cope – the ring road around Bicester for example;
  3. Ensuring that the Expressway is developed separately alongside locally planned highway enhancements such as Culham river crossing.

 

Further information is available from the Highways England website.

 

ADDITIONAL NEW POTHOLE FIXING MACHINE

 

OCC and contractors, Skanska, have taken delivery of another Dragon-Patcher which uses a combination of compressed air, heat, bitumen and chippings to repair potholes. This means that there are now two machines working full-time in the county with another being shared with Peterborough and Cambridgeshire. Because it can repair a number of holes at the same time, and much faster, a Dragon-Patcher can carry out repairs far more cheaply than before. A typical Dragon-Patcher repair costs just under £14 whereas one fixed using conventional methods on a non-rural road costs about £60. On a good day a Dragon can repair 200 potholes; that, combined with the low road repair costs, means that the investment is a sound one. More work is done and more money is saved so that is can be put into resurfacing. The Dragon also carries out preventative work by sealing cracks in the road surface that would otherwise let in water and eventually turn into more potholes. In the past year, OCC’s own machine, along with the shared Dragon, has fixed over 21,000 potholes. It is expected that the new one, over the next twelve months, could fill up to 14,000 more.

RESIDENTS WEIGH IN OVER HGVS ON RURAL ROADS

 

Villagers throughout Oxfordshire are working with the county council’s trading standards team to police the scourge of heavy lorries ignoring weight limits on rural roads and bridges. And three out of the four most recent prosecutions in Magistrates’ Court have come about after members of the public reported the drivers and their vehicles to the council. OCC enforcement officer Simon Mitchell said: “While we and the police do actively patrol hotspots, our partnership approach with local residents is proving very successful. “Since February 2016, there have been 100 prosecutions for breaching weight restrictions brought by Oxfordshire Trading Standards resulting in £55792.50 in fines. A further 57 more cases are under active investigation. In total 660 formal warning letters have also been issued to HGV drivers as a result of investigations into the 454 public reports, 157 vehicles seen by patrolling Trading Standards officers and 460 vehicles recorded by the ANPR camera at Newbridge.

 

CARE WORKER RECRUITMENT CAMPAIGN ATTRACTS DOZENS OF APPLICANTS

 

A recruitment drive to encourage more people in Oxfordshire to consider a career as a care worker has attracted more applicants in just five months as in the previous two years. The campaign – ‘Make a difference every day’ – features a number of real life care workers, already supporting people across the county, talking about the rewards of the job and why they would recommend the job to others. The Oxfordshire Association of Care Providers (OACP) website received 84 applications for a variety of care work roles between mid-November 2017 and the end of March 2018, compared with 66 applications in the two years between November 2015 and October 2017. A total of 107 new job seekers registered on the site between November 2017 and the end of March 2018, compared with 101 from October 2015 and October 2017. And around 130,000 people have looked at recruitment adverts on Facebook since the campaign launched. Oxfordshire currently has around 14,200 people working in adult social care. But the county’s ageing population is growing at twice the average, so there is an urgent need for more caring, friendly and reliable care workers to support older, frail people in their own homes, in nursing and residential homes or in community hospital settings. According the latest workforce survey by OCC and Oxford Health Foundation Trust (OHFT), nine out of 10 care workers say they are proud of the work they do.

 

COUNCIL PROBES THAMES WATER’S OXFORDSHIRE RESERVOIR PROPOSALS

 

A series of questions have been raised by OCC about Thames Water’s plans to build a huge new reservoir to the south of Abingdon between Steventon and Marcham. The council’s cabinet was asked to endorse a response to Thames Water’s consultation on the idea – which is part of its wider strategy for the South-East of England in coming decades. The company’s Draft Water Resources Management Plan proposes a new reservoir near Abingdon which will not only support the forecast needs of the Thames Water area but also some of the needs of the wider South-East. In response to the consultation the council has asked for more detail on Thames Water’s calculations for growth in population and water usage for coming years that underpin the reservoir proposal. The council has also asked how much of the water from the reservoir would be sold to other water companies. A report to councillors also urged Thames Water to speed up their programme of leakage reduction’ to ‘delay the need for a reservoir as long as possible’ as well as pointing out that there is a ‘lack of clarity on whether potential sites have been assessed across the South East region

 

Annex B:

 

LENGTHMAN’S REPORT

APRIL 2018  

 

A busy month!

 

Grass cutting is well under way and frequent with all this rain and then hot days.

 

The trim trail has started being installed but there seems to be some issues with some of the units not being for adults.

 

One issue in Tickers Folly Field is that there have been at least three fires. One near the Bandstand and two just behind the goal post in the field.

 

I will be doing some work on the graves, which have sunk over the winter, i.e. filling in and putting new turf on them.

 

Equipment and buildings are all OK.

 

Plaque has been fitted to the Millennium Stone.

 

David.

 

Annex C:

 

Planning report for Parish Council  – May/June 2018

Planning Applications

All Blewbury planning applications, decisions and Parish Council responses, including items under consideration, can be found in the ‘Parish’ section of the Blewbury website

(http://blewbury.co.uk/parish/planning/), which is updated once a week. Links are also provided to the main Vale Planning site, where full details can be obtained.

 

Responses from the Parish Council:

 

P18/V1025/HH   Pilgrim’s Way, The Pilgrim’s Way             

Amend the window sizes and positioning as approved under application P16/V0888/HH granted 17th August 2016. Parish Council has no objection.

               

P18/V0911/HH   Badger’s Holt, South Street           

Proposed two storey side extension, external refurbishment and internal alterations to existing dwelling. Parish Council has no objection.

                   

P18/V0971/HH   Sawyers, South Street      

Internal alterations including garage conversion to bedroom with en-suite shower room and w.c. Single storey back extension to form family bathroom and additional bedroom. Construction of detached timber framed single garage, car port and log store. Parish Council has no objection.                       

 

Decisions from the District Council:

                   

P18/V0621/FUL Blewbury Mill, Blewbury Road 

Change of use of field to garden curtilage and erection of garage/outbuilding. Granted.

               

P18/S0859/FUL  Blewbury Mill, Blewbury Road 

Change of use of field to garden curtilage and erection of garage/outbuilding. Granted.

 

P18/V0489/LB    Carpenters Cottage, Church End

Internal alterations including – moving modern staircase to new location, inserting new WC, creating new back door and boot room within existing utility room. Granted.

 

P18/V0309/FUL         Fir Trees, London Road         

Construction of a new 1.5 storey three bedroom house to the rear of Fir Trees with relocated parking for Fir Trees. Demolition of a timber garage to form access. Refused.        

 

P18/V0630/HH   27 Eastfields       

Single story extension to the rear of the property. Granted.

 

Enquiries regarding planning in the parish may be sent to blewburypc@gmail.com