Minutes for November 2014

Minutes of the Parish Council meeting of Blewbury Parish Council held on Wednesday 12th November 2014 at 7.30 pm in the Vale Room

Councillors present: Mr C Lakeland (Chairman)(CL), Mr R Farrell (RF), Ms J Gibson (JG), Mr M Blythe (MB), Mr M Shayler (MS), Mr G Reade (GR), Mr B Cooper (BC), Ms V Fox (VF), Mr B Morgan (BM)

Also present: Mrs Elaine de Ridder (clerk), County Councillor Lilly, 7 members of the public

Matters resolved:

  1. It was decided that the Village Hall working party could proceed with seeking planning permission
  2. All payments were approved.
Actions arising from the meeting Target date
1.     Clerk to contact SCS for a quote for surfacing Coffin Way As soon as possible
2.     Clerk to order new bin once a lengthman has been appointed By February meeting
3.     Clerk to submit response to Mobile Library consultation By 31st December
4.     Clerk to do a cost analysis of a further PWLB loan As soon as possible
5.     Clerk to contact Radii Skatepark Repairs Ltd again As soon as possible
6.     MS to obtain quote for the repairs to the equipment store. Clerk to order steel panels

As soon as possible

 

7.     Clerk to arrange annual inspection of play areas. MS to return Play Space sign to Clerk. MS to install railings at Village Hall play area

By next meeting

 

8.     Clerk and CL to review risk management. By next meeting
9.     Cemetery committee to review regulations and fees By next meeting
10.  JG to write to the Vale about parking provision in future building development

By next meeting

 

11.  MB, MS and clerk to interview candidates for the lengthman position As soon as possible
12.  Clerk to obtain safety matting pins As soon as possible
13.  RF to compose a note about the pros and cons of different pension schemes available to the Parish Council By next meeting
14.  CL and RF to carry out clerk’s appraisal. By next meeting
15.  JG and VF to identify paths in need of gravel Before December 6th
16.  RF to draft a response to the Local Plan consultation

By next meeting

Deadline December 19th

17.  JG to put a note in the Bulletin about the danger of horses on footpaths. Clerk to write to stable owners and reply to resident. By Bulletin deadline
18.  Clerk to obtain a quote for a “no horses” sign By next meeting
Actions brought forward
1.     Croquet Club boundary to be investigated. On-going
2.     RF to investigate pension options for the clerk On-going

 

  1. To receive Apologies for absence. Janet Shelley, PCSO D Clements.
  2. To record Declarations of interest. BM declared an interest in the planning item.
  3. To approve the minutes of the meetings held on 8th and 31st October 2014. Two amendments were made and read out. The minutes were accepted and signed as a true record.
  4. To receive the County Councillor’s report. County Councillor Lilly reported that a letter was sent to the owners of Ladycroft Park. The Parish Council expressed their disappointment with letter. Closure of the Steventon Railway bridge is scheduled for 14th February and will last for at least 10 months while the bridge and railway lines are upgraded. Some flood relief is planned for Oxford. New park and ride car parks away from Oxford’s congested areas are also planned. OCC would be looking at applications for licences for fracking.
  5. To receive the District Councillor’s report. District Councillor Shelley was unable to attend the meeting.
  6. Police liaison. PCSO Clements sent a written report the clerk reporting on a theft from a garden shed, thefts from vehicles and hare coursing. See Annex A attached.
  • Neighbourhood Action Group. Next meeting is scheduled for December
  1. Open Forum. Members of the public came to express their concern about horses on Cow Lane. This complaint was also received by email prior to the meeting. The Parish Council investigated the possibility of barriers but according to the County Council it would not be possible. The PC would put a note in the Bulletin and write to stable owners in the area to remind them that they are committing a trespass if riding on a footpath. The resident offered to pay for a sign to be put on Cow Lane to advise users that horses are not allowed.

The proposed development on land west of Woodway was also discussed and the effect it would have on the waterways and the Cleve. As there was as yet no formal planning application, the Parish Council was unable to respond to this proposition but together with the Neighbourhood Plan committee a close eye would be kept on the situation and will respond when appropriate to do so.

  1. Neighbourhood Plan (NP). There was a very good response to the Housing needs survey with over 400 replies received thus far. The next step would be the landscape survey.
  2. Matters arising.
    • 08/10/14     To receive an update on approach for funding reference Coffin Way. The clerk obtained the specification of the work needed to improve the Coffin Way surface from Mark Sumner and will contact SCS for a quote. Action: Clerk to contact SCS a quote for surfacing Coffin Way.
    • 12/11/14     To report back on the meeting with Vale’s waste team and to consider the replacement of Playclose bins. JG met with the Vale’s waste team. The PCC has agreed that the bin could be replaced. Action: Clerk to order new bin once a lengthman has been appointed. Item closed.
    • 12/11/14     To approve our response to the mobile library review. It is proposed that axe the stop in London Road next to the Blueberry and have a longer stop in Besselslea. The Parish Council felt that the stop at London Road is more accessible for elderly residents. Residents who currently use the Besselslea stop are more capable of walking up to London Road to use the service than the other way round. Action: Clerk to submit response to Mobile Library consultation.
  3. Village hall redevelopment
    • To receive an update on the progress of the Working party and fundraising. As reported at the last meeting, it has been decided to go ahead with a planning application for the full scheme. The budget will dictate how much of this scheme will go ahead. Action: Clerk to do a cost analysis of a further PWLB loan.
  4. Recreation Ground.
    • 12/11/14     To appoint a new PC representative on the BVCIC. It was agreed that Bob Cooper will be the PC’s new representative on the BVCIC for the term of this Parish Council.
    • 08/10/14 To receive an update on plant room maintenance and remedial works. Remedial works have been carried out. A date is being awaited for the maintenance works.
    • 08/10/14 To receive an update on skate ramp maintenance. No firm date has yet been set. Action: Clerk to contact Radii Skatepark Repairs Ltd again.
    • 12/11/14     To approve new quote for equipment store repairs. The new quote for the replacement steel panels were improved. It was agreed that up to £300 could be spent on labour. Action: MS to obtain quote for the repairs to the equipment store. Clerk to order steel panels.
  1. Ladycroft Park.
  • To receive an update on Vale and County actions re Ladycroft. OCC’s response was circulated. RF is due to attend the tribunal between the Vale and the park owners.
  1. Risk Management.
    • 12/11/14 To instruct Clerk to arrange Annual inspection of play areas. Two quotes were sought to install the Play Space sign before the inspection takes place. Kingdom Signs’ quote was accepted. The railings at the Village Hall play area needs to be installed prior to the inspection. Action: Clerk to arrange annual inspection of play areas. MS to return Play Space sign to Clerk. MS to install railings at Village Hall play area.
    • 12/11/14 To instruct the Annual review of risk management and diary of annual events. Action: Clerk and CL to review risk management.
    • 12/11/14 To instruct Cemetery committee to carry out Annual review of cemetery fees. Action: Cemetery committee to review regulations and fees.
    • 12/11/14 To instruct the clerk to obtain a current Village Hall risk assessment. The clerk has already requested the latest risk assessment.
  2. Planning & Housing.
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update on the Barton Willmore speculative approach and the Parish Council’s response. The Parish Council felt it was premature to meet with Barton Willmore. Once a planning application has been submitted, a public meeting will be called. CL responded to Barton Willmore’s approach and asked to see their survey results.
    • 06/11/14 To discuss writing to Vale/OCC concerning parking provision on infill and future building development. A note was circulated about concerns about the provision of sufficient parking in new developments. Action: JG to write to the Vale about parking provision in future building development. Item closed
    • 02/02/06 To receive the Planning Committee Report. See full report – annex B.
    • 08/11/12 To approve responses to Current applications:

P14/V1806/FUL 1 Downside Westbrook Street Blewbury OX11 9QA

Change of use from study/home office to self contained annexe.

Blewbury PC objects to the change of use in principle, but also on the grounds that there is inadequate space for parking, that this site is already over-developed, and questions remain over the provision of main drainage and rights of access.

P14/V2308/HH Ashbrook House Westbrook Street Blewbury OX11 9QA

Erection of Ancillary Accommodation with Home Office, Gym and Landscaping

Blewbury PC has no objection

P14/V2274/HH Mockbeggars Cottage Westbrook Street Blewbury OX11 9QG

single storey side extension

Blewbury PC has no objection

P14/V2470/FUL Land in South Street Blewbury OX11 9PX

Proposed erection of a three bedroom dwelling (resubmission).

As BM declared an interest in this item, he temporarily left the meeting while this was discussed.

Blewbury PC intends to object to the application on the basis of policy HE1. A comment will also be made about the quality of material should planning permission be granted. The final draft of the objection will be circulated to councillors prior to submitting it.

 

  1. Finance & Administration
    • To receive a report on the Replacement of the Lengthman and applications received. There was a good response to the advertisements and a short-list has been drawn up. Action: MB, MS and clerk to interview candidates for the lengthman position.
    • To receive a report on play areas and village upkeep. Safety checks are up to date. Safety matting pins are required. It was agreed that the bins on Tickers Folly be removed for the time being. Action: Clerk to obtain safety matting pins.
    • To receive an update on the setting up of the Clerk’s pension. RF has made further enquiries about the provision of a pension for the clerk. It has become clear that if a pension was to be provided prior to the auto-enrolment date, the PC is obliged to use the Council’s pension scheme. According to the OALC more options (e.g. NEST) will be available if a sceme was joined after the staging date. Action: RF to compose a note about the pros and cons of different pension schemes available to the Parish Council.
    • To instruct a sub-committee to carry out the clerk’s appraisal. Action: CL and RF to carry out clerk’s appraisal.
    • To approve payments to be made under ancillary powers and within budgeted amounts
Description Amount
E de Ridder £842.90
E de Ridder (expenses) £7.03
BT Payment Services Ltd (direct debit) £22.80
White Horse Horticulture £200 .00
Post Office Ltd ( for Southern Electric) £20.75
Wind in the Willows Residents Association £50.00
St. Michael’s Church, Blewbury PCC £125.00
Payments relating to the Village Hall redevelopment:
·      Ridge and Partners LLP £1,200.00
Payments on behalf of the Village Hall:
·      Mrs J Newman £120.00
Payments relating to the Neighbourhood Plan:
·      Seacourt (3 invoices) £1166.40
TOTAL                   £3,554.88

All payments were approved.

  1. Footways, Footpaths and rights of way.
      • To consider a request for hedge laying at TFF. The Parish Council was happy to give permission for this to be carried out provided that it is carried out before the hedges start growing again and that it would be made clear which hedges will be done.
      • To agree a date for gravel delivery and distribution post village clean up. It was agreed that the gravel will be spread on December 6th. A motorised wheelbarrow can be hired if needed. Action: JG and VF to identify paths in need of gravel.
  1. Roads, Road safety and public transport
    • . To approve our response to the OCC Bus service review. The response was circulated prior to the meeting and was submitted. Item closed.
  1. Correspondence
    • Items requesting a reply & consultations
      • To consider the Parish Council’s response to the draft Local Plan consultation. Action: RF to draft a response to the Local Plan consultation.
      • To consider the response to emails re Cow Lane. Action: JG to put a note in the Bulletin about the danger of horses on footpaths. Clerk to write to stable owners and reply to resident. Clerk to obtain a quote for a “no horses” sign.
    • Items for information that have been circulated
      • OALC updates. Circulated and noted.
      • Local plan updates. Circulated and noted.
      • Invitation to join the Oil Club. Various oil clubs exists in the village. Leaflets were passed on to councillors.
  1. Any Other Business.

Nothing mentioned

  1. Details of the next meeting. 10th December 2014 in the Vale Room.

Meeting closed 21h25

 

Annex A – Report from PCSO Clements

Somebody unfortunately had their garden shed broken into in the village which was reported to us on 01/11, they took some gardening equipment.

Unfortunately several vehicles were broken into last week and work tools stolen, these offences occurred in Hendred, Steventon, Drayton and Abingdon. Officers were able to identify some suspects and arrests have been made. We would like to take this opportunity to thank anyone who came forward with information and to also ask that work vehicles are emptied overnight and all tools post coded for security.

There have been lots of arrests for Hare Coursing and Poaching over the last month, I believe the total of just over 20 now, this is obviously sending out a clear and simple message that “you’re not welcome, we will not tolerate this activity and you will be caught and dealt with accordingly”.

Denise Clements, Police Community Support officer

Thames Valley police.

 

Annex B – planning report for December Bulletin

Planning Applications

For full details see the Vale website – http://bit.ly/u2FSqN

Responses from the Parish Council:

P14/V2199/FUL – Hill View, Bessels Lea Road – Erection of a new dwelling, with access to Bessels Way. BPC has no objection.
P14/V2219/LB – Hall Barn Close – Addition of chimney pots to existing chimney stacks. BPC has no objection.
P14/V2308/HH – Ashbrook House, Westbrook Street – Erection of ancillary accommodation with home office, gym and landscaping. BPC has no objection.
P14/V2274/HH – Mockbeggars Cottage, Westbrook Street – Single storey side extension: conservatory. BPC has no objection.
P14/V1806/FUL – Downside, Westbrook Street – Change of use to self-contained annexe. Blewbury PC objects to the change of use in principle, but also on the grounds that there is inadequate space for parking, that this site is already over-developed, and questions remain over the provision of main drainage and rights of access.

Decisions from the District Council:

P14/V1943/HH, Tudor Cottage, London Road – Repair and conservation. Internal alterations to create a new first floor bathroom. Installation of an eco-pod in the middle of the back garden.. GRANTED.

P14/V1744/RM – Chailey House – Erection of 30 dwellings – Landscaping and other reserved matters. GRANTED.