Minutes November 2016

Minutes
Of the Meeting of the Parish Council
held in the Vale Room on Wednesday 9th November 2016 at 7.30 p.m.

Councillors present: Mr C Lakeland (Chair), Mrs J Gibson, Mr M Shayler (MS), Mrs L Inglis (LI), Ms M Jacobs (MJ), Mr D Lomas (DL), Mr M Penington (MP). Also present: Mrs Elaine de Ridder (clerk), David Hollick (Lengthman), 2 members of the public.

Matters resolved:

  1. It was agreed to go ahead with the car park improvement.
  2. All payments were approved.

 

Actions arising from the meeting Target date
1.      Clerk to contact more members of the Croquet Club again to warn of car park closure. Clerk to request a Stop Press email to advise members of the public about TFF car park closure Immediately

2.      Lengthman to help with leaf clearance day.

3.      Lengthman to change the settings for lighting at the Recreation Ground car park so that it stays on for longer. Lengthman to trim back roses if necessary

26th November

By next meeting

4.      Clerk to send LI a link to the report of a “NO” vote in a Neighbourhood Plan referendum As soon as possible
5.      JG to repeat Bulletin entry re evidence of flooding By Bulletin deadline
6.      Clerk to send residents the district councillors’ contact details As soon as possible
7.      JG to include OCC Daytime consultation in the Bulletin entry. By Bulletin deadline
8.      Clerk to contact the Parsons re a bench. Clerk to reply to resident re bench options By next meeting
9.      Clerk to forward details of Oxfordshire Fire & Rescue Service Community Risk Management Plan Consultation. to CL to respond to if appropriate.

As soon as possible

 

10.  Clerk to include grant to CAB in the December agenda By next meeting
11.  Clerk to check if there are posters on the phone boxes and if not, to put posters up

As soon as possible

 

12.  Clerk to email BVS re risk assessment/need for marshals for next year’s bonfire.

As soon as possible

 

 

  1. To receive apologies for absence. Apologies from Mrs C Cameron (CC), Mr M Blythe (MB), District Councillor Waite, District Councillor Shelley.
  2. To record declarations of interest. MS declared an interest in payments.
  3. To approve the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 12th October 2016. The minutes were accepted and signed as a true record.
  4. To receive the County Councillor’s report. County Councillor Lilly reported back from the Didcot Garden Town meeting and advised councillors to go along to the exhibition if possible. I was reported that central government are looking at local government structures to ensure better value for money. The first Syrian refugees have arrived in Oxfordshire. OCC is reviewing its plan to respond to major emergencies. Cllr Lilly reported on various consultations including infrastructure, care for the elderly etc. It was mentioned that the Vale’s Leader Matthew Barber was now also the Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner. The new Chilton slips will be opened at midnight.
  5. To receive the District Councillor’s report. District Councillor’s report was circulated prior to the meeting. See Annex A.
  6. To receive the Lengthman’s report. The lengthman’s report was circulated prior to the meeting. See Annex B. It was agreed that work to TFF car park would commence the next week (weather depending). Action: Clerk to contact more members of the Croquet Club again to warn of car park closure. Clerk to request a Stop Press email to advise members of the public about TFF car park closure. The lengthman agreed to help on leaf clearance day. MS agreed that his trailer could be used as it was more suitable for the job that the PC trailer. The Recreation Ground car park was briefly discussed. Action: Lengthman to help with leaf clearance day. Lengthman to change the settings for lighting at the Recreation Ground car park so that it stays on for longer. Lengthman to trim back roses if necessary.
  7. Open Forum.

Concerns were expressed about the planning application for The Hut in South Street. The Parish Council agreed to visit the neighbouring property but pointed out that as it stands they could not see grounds for objection. The final response to the application will be reported in the planning report.

  1. Blewbury Neighbourhood Development Plan (BNDP). To receive an update on the Neighbourhood Plan if available. The referendum will be 24th of November and it is hoped for a good turnout. Action: Clerk to send LI a link to the report of a “NO” vote in a Neighbourhood Plan referendum.
  2. Matters arising
    • To report back on actions arising at previous meeting. All actions were taken.
    • To report back on the request for evidence of flooding in the village. Very few responses have been received. Action: JG to repeat Bulletin entry re evidence of flooding. Item closed.
  3. Village hall redevelopment
    • To receive an update on the progress of the working party and fundraising. Response to the request for donations has been slow. In order to comply with the WREN grant timescale, a very tight schedule will have to be adhered to. The project now has a Gift Aid number.
    • To report on the borrowing approval received from the Secretary of State. Borrowing approval has been granted.
  4. Recreation Ground
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update from the PC representative on the BVCIC. The BVCIC had a meeting. It was agreed to rent out the Melland Room for Artsweek in 2017
    • 12/10/16 To receive an update about the meeting with CBG. No plan has been forthcoming.
    • 09/11/16 To agree to go ahead with TFF car park works. It was agreed to go ahead with the car park improvement.
  5. Planning & Housing
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update on speculative approaches. The “Chailey II” Landmaze application has been refused. There are no more speculative approaches. Item closed.
    • To receive the planning committee report. See Annex C for the planning report.
    • To approve responses to current applications

P16/V2749/HH The Hut, South Street

Demolition of existing conservatory; new entrance porch extension and roof alterations to existing private dwelling

At the time of the meeting the PC saw no grounds to object. The PC would visit the neighbouring property. The final response to the application will be reported in the planning report attached to the minutes. Action: Clerk to send residents the district councillors’ contact details.

P16/V2739/HH Meers Parcel, London Road

Proposed greenhouse

Parish Council has no objection

Too late for the agenda:

P16/V2686/LB Charity School House Church Road

Replace cast iron gutters and downpipes by aluminium gutters and downpipes

Parish Council has no objection

Appeal notification:

APP/V3120/D/16/3159770 Hillview, Bessels Lea

Appeal against refusal for: Close boarded 2M high boundary fence to east side

Noted

  1. Finance & Administration
    • To approve payments to be made under ancillary powers and within budgeted amounts

Description

Amount
E de Ridder (salary and expenses) £1,039.94
D Hollick (salary and expenses) £317.26
NEST (pension contribution) £61.43
BT Payment Services Ltd £25.44
Biffa Waste Services Ltd £56.83
White Horse Horticulture £200.00
Broxap Limited £209.94
Lister Wilder Limited £3.84
Shayler Concrete Pumping Ltd* £926.96
Payments relating to the Village Hall refurbishment  
L Ferguson* £220.00
PSB Consulting Engineers (Oxford) Ltd £2,127.60
West Waddy ADP £1,436.40
TOTAL                            £6,625.64

 

All payments including those too late for inclusion on the agenda (*) were approved. MS declared an interest in one of the payments.

 

  1. To receive an update about allotments and rental income. Nothing to report. Item closed.
  2. To receive an update on any issues relating to Footways, Footpaths, rights of way and open spaces.
    • To receive an update about additional litter bin for Bessels Way. The bin has arrived and will be installed in due course. Item closed.
    • To receive an update on the DMMO application. The application has been submitted and acknowledged. OCC advised the PC that it would take a few years before the application would be considered. Item closed.
  3. To receive an update on any issues relating to roads, road safety and public transport.

MJ expressed concern about speeding on the A417 and damage to cars. Cllr Lilly requested more speed checks but that was not a permanent solution. The PC was reminded of the meeting with Oxfordshire Highways were they were advised that any traffic calming measures like roundabouts or chicanes would have to come from the PC budget. The next A417 called by Cllr Lilly meeting will be in February. A grant will be paid to the Downland Villages Transport Group (DVTG) for the Wallingford bus which is doing quite well. The 94 bus is still underutilised and remains under threat.

  1. To receive an update on the plan of action for the Tickers Folly Community Orchard. Trees have been ordered.
  2. Village Hall Management Committee. To receive an update from the VHMC. Nothing to report.
  3. Risk Management
    • 12/10/16 To review the Parish Council Freedom of Information publication scheme. Reviewed. Item closed.
  4. Correspondence
    • Items requesting a reply & consultations
      • Request for a memorial bench. The Cleve and the Community Orchard are options. Action: Clerk to contact the Parsons re a bench. Clerk to reply to resident re bench options.
      • High Sheriff’s Awards for the year 2016/2017. Noted.
      • OCC Daytime Support consultation. Copies have been placed in the Post Office and in the GP waiting room. Action: JG to include OCC Daytime consultation in the Bulletin entry.
      • Oxfordshire Fire & Rescue Service Community Risk Management Plan Consultation. Action: Clerk to forward details to CL to respond to if appropriate.
      • Citizens Advice Oxfordshire South & Vale request for donation. Action: Clerk to include grant to CAB in the agenda.

Not included on agenda:

BT consultation about the removal of phone boxes. Action: Clerk to check if there are posters on the phone boxes and if not, to put posters up.

Permission was being sought to put the war memorial (a glass panel) which was in Methodist Chapel in the cemetery. The Parish Council was very positive about this proposal.

  • Items for information that have been circulated
    • OALC update. Noted.
    • Local inquiry re DMMO (Pilgrims Way). Noted.
    • CPRE newsletter, including “The need for positive planning”. CC to attend.
  1. Any other business. Exceptionally to deal with business received too late for inclusion in agenda.

MJ is to attend a meeting re village co-ops. Concern was expressed that there were no marshals to help people cross the road in the dark following the Bonfire Night fireworks. Action: Clerk to email BVS re risk assessment/need for marshals for next year’s bonfire.

The PC is very grateful that the BVS has donated £1400 towards the play areas. The clerk has already thanked the BVS.

The PC has been alarmed to hear about a dog attack on the Churn Estate.

  1. To set the date of the next meeting. The next meeting of the Parish Council is on 14th December 2016.

 

Meeting closed 21h28

 

 

Annex A

 

Blewbury Parish Council

District Notes for Parish Councillors on Wednesday, 9th November 2016

from Cllr Janet Shelley & Cllr Reg Waite

 

-o-o-o-o-

 

Apologies:

 

Cllr Janet Shelley and Cllr Reg Waite very much regret they are unable to attend because of other duties.

-o-o-o-o-

Final call for your yellow letter:

89% returned but 5,800 outstanding in the Vale. Deadline is end of November.  These forms are required by law and householders ignoring this requirement could have credit rating affected with a fine up to £1,000.

-o-o-o-o

Didcot Garden Town:

 

The Vale and SODC encourage local village residents to give their views on the future of Didcot and surrounding villages as the community engagement programme for Didcot Garden Town is launched.

 

-o-o-o-o-

Car Parking:

From 1st November at all district council car parks, drivers can park using a mobile phone via a new system called Contact Cashless – this covers car parks across the Vale of White Horse and South Oxfordshire. This service replaces RingGo which ceased at the end of October.

To access Connect Cashless they can register for the service via a quick phone call to provide payment details – just one text later and they’ll be set up.

Further information can be found on the Connect Cashless website.

-o-o-o-o-

Recyclable waste (green bins):

 

A number of residents have continued to place unclear bags of waste in their green bins since 1st November when the new loose waste or clear bags system came into operation. This has resulted in their green bins not being emptied.  As mentioned previously this action was necessary because some residents were putting food waste and dirty nappies into their green wheelie bins, which was contaminating whole truckloads of recycling.  In the past nine months more than 100 tonnes of recycling from the district was rejected because of contamination.

 

-o-o-o-o-

 

Binzone – waste has never bin this easy!:

 

Residents can stay up to date with recycling and waste collections using their smartphones with Binzone – the new web-app from the Vale of White Horse and South Oxfordshire District Councils – www.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/binzone

 

Just by typing in a post code and selecting their address, they’ll find out what day their bin will be emptied, and most important which colour bins are due to be emptied next.

 

-o-o-o-o-

 

Funding Workshop in Oxfordshire:

 

The Carbon Trust has launched a new fund which provides capital for smaller businesses to replace old, power-guzzling equipment, together with expert advice to boost the efficiency and productivity of businesses.

 

A workshop has been organised at Cornerstone Arts Centre, Didcot from 9.30 am to 11.30 am on Tuesday, 15th November.  This will help small companies learn how to identify and implement opportunities to reduce energy costs within their business and make the most of the fund.

 

To register for the event or to discuss how your business could benefit from the support on offer, please e-mail greenbusiness@carbontrust.com or visit their website or call 020 7832 4773

-o-o-o-o-

Oxfordshire Business Growth Event:

 

Oxfordshire Business Support (OBS) will be co-hosting the third Oxfordshire Business Growth event with market company Digital Remit at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford on Wednesday, 16th November 2016.

 

It is FREE to attend but registration is necessary

 

-o-o-o-o-

 

Dr Melanie Smans, Economic Development Team Leader to speak in Didcot:

 

Business men and women are invited to attend the next Didcot Chamber of Commerce meeting at The Marlborough Club, Didcot on Monday, 21st November – 7.00 pm for a 7.30 pm start when Dr Melanie Smans, Eceonomic Development Team Leader for the Vale and South Oxfordshire District Councils will be giving a presentation to discuss –

  • Opportunities for local businesses to grow – enormous potential available
  • The impact of the changes to the national apprenticeship programme
  • What the Council’s economic development team does and how they can help local businesses. Plans to release a Business and Innovation Strategy in the new year
  • Current levels of business support from the District and County Councils and other national organisations.

 

-o-o-o-o-

 

Small Business Saturday, 3d December 2016:

 

This is a great opportunity to support the small businesses, services and shops in our community and we encourage all residents to become involved.  Many of our local businesses, services and shops depend on local people – rural areas could not survive without them!

 

-o-o-o-o-

 

JS & RWW 9th November 2016

 

 

 

ANNEX B

Lengthman’s Report

October 2016

 

Footpaths

No issues.

Cemetery

Central row of trees pruned to allow better access for mowing and to make the footpath alongside ‘walkable’.

Prunings set aside for the Nov. 5th bonfire.

TFF & Car Park

Mark S and I have discussed the resurfacing operation and will incorporate the new gate and replacement posts for the skate park at the same time.

TFF- no issues.

Play Areas

KAP- no issues

TFF – awaiting remedial work

Skate Park – awaiting replacement posts where many have rotted off at the base.

Recreation Ground

Shrubbery cleared along the path to the Clubhouse so that the new lighting will sense movement.

Buildings

No issues

Equipment

No issues.

Annex C

Planning report for Parish Council  – November 2016

Planning Applications

All Blewbury planning applications, decisions and Parish Council responses, including items under consideration, can be found in the ‘Parish’ section of the Blewbury website
(http://blewbury.co.uk/parish/planning/), which is updated once a week. Links are also provided to the main Vale Planning site, where full details can be obtained.

 

Responses from the Parish Council:

P16/V2749/HH       The Hut, South Street

Demolition of existing conservatory; new entrance porch extension and roof alterations to existing private dwelling.

Parish Council does not object, but acknowledges that the neighbours have valid concerns about the way in which the proposed south-facing balcony will affect the privacy of their garden.

P16/V2739/HH       Meers Parcel, London Road

Proposed greenhouse.

Parish Council has no objections.

P16/V2686/LB        Charity School House, Church Road

Replace cast iron gutters and downpipes with aluminium gutters and downpipes.

Parish Council has no objections.           

Decisions from the District Council:

P15/V3038/O             Land west of Bessels Way   

Application for outline planning permission for the erection of 28 new dwellings with associated parking and amenity provisions, on land on the western side of Bessel’s Way.

REFUSED

 P16/V1938/FUL      Westbrook Farm, Westbrook Street     

Demolition of existing dwelling and construction of replacement dwelling with carport and landscaping.

GRANTED

P16/V1869/FUL      The Chestnuts, Church End   

Formal split into 2 separate dwellings and associated alterations. Pergola over car parking area.

GRANTED

P16/V2490/HH       Farthings, Bessels Way

Proposed ground floor rear extension. Proposed first floor rear extension.

GRANTED

P16/V2185/HH     2 Downside, Westbrook Street

Two storey rear extension

GRANTED

Enquiries regarding planning in the parish may be sent to blewburypc@gmail.com