Minutes October 2016

Minutes
Of the Meeting of the Parish Council
held in the Vale Room on Wednesday 12th October 2016 at 7.30 p.m.

Councillors present: Mr C Lakeland (Chair), Mrs J Gibson, Mr M Shayler (MS), Mrs L Inglis (LI), Ms M Jacobs (MJ), Mrs C Cameron (CC), Mr D Lomas (DL). Also present: Mrs Elaine de Ridder (clerk), David Hollick (Lengthman), 2 members of the public.

Matters resolved:

  1. White Horse Horticulture’s quote for grass cutting for 3 years was accepted.
  2. All payments were approved.

 

Actions arising from the meeting Target date
1.      Lengthman to cut back vegetation at the Recreation Ground and clear debris from next to the Cleve Before Bonfire night.
2.      Clerk/Bruce Gibson to respond to Vale ASAP re referendum documentation As soon as possible
3.      Clerk to contact CBG re the Clubhouse As soon as possible
4.      CL to draft a response an initial response to Thames Water and the Vale. MB and Alan Cooper to help draft a full response to Thames Water. JG to draft something for the Bulletin re flooding evidence and reporting.

As soon as possible

 

5.      JG to follow up with Waste Team about new bin. Clerk to order new bin. By next meeting
6.      JG to put a note in the Bulletin about dog waste in recycling bins Bulletin deadline
7.      Clerk to check and send off DMMO forms
8.      Clerk to circulate the paperwork re the Pilgrims Way DMMO By next meeting
9.      Clerk to find out when Community Infrastructure Levies (CIL) start and how to apply By next meeting
10.  JG to contact AM-J and TOE2 re Savages footpath. Clerk to contact Kevin Barlow for a specified quote By next meeting
11.  Clerk to contact the transport rep re the bus timetable for UTC children By next meeting
12.  Clerk to respond to David Bellchamber re Bessels Lea As soon as possible
13.  MJ to follow up on emails between Stewart Lilly and the Police re speeding on the A417. MJ to investigate more traffic calming options By next meeting
14.  Clerk to send lengthman a copy of the county grass cutting scheme/map By next meeting
15.  Clerk and CL to review the accessibility of the publication scheme and FOI By next meeting

 

  1. To receive apologies for absence. Apologies from Mr M Penington (MP), Mr M Blythe (MB), District Councillor Waite, District Councillor Shelley, County Councillor Lilly.
  2. To record declarations of interest. No declarations made at the beginning of the meeting.
  3. To approve the minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 14th September The minutes were accepted and signed as a true record.
  4. To co-opt a new councillor. Mr David Lomas was proposed and co-opted unanimously and signed “The Acceptance of Office”. Mr Lomas was welcomed
  5. To receive the County Councillor’s report. County Councillor’s report was circulated prior to the meeting. See Annex A. The County Councillor raised the issue of speeding along the A417 with the Police. The clerk added Bessels Way to the concerns. More speed checks are imminent.
  6. To receive the District Councillor’s report. No District Councillor’s report.
  7. To receive the Lengthman’s report. The lengthman’s report was circulated prior to the meeting. See Annex B. It was clarified that the grant for the Tickers Folly car park will be paid once the work has been done. The Lengthman was asked to cut back the vegetation next to the Band Hut. The lengthman was given the go-ahead to order turf for the cemetery. Leaf clearance is organised by Sustainable Blewbury on 27th The lengthman was asked to remove debris which someone dumped next to the Cleve. Action: Lengthman to cut back vegetation at the Recreation Ground and clear debris from next to the Cleve.
  8. Open Forum.

Concerns were expressed about the preservation of the bats mentioned in the survey of the Chapel application.

  1. Blewbury Neighbourhood Development Plan (BNDP). To receive an update on the Neighbourhood Plan if available. The referendum date has been set for the 24th of November. Action: Clerk/Bruce Gibson to respond to Vale ASAP re referendum documentation.
  2. Matters arising
    • To report back on actions arising from previous meeting. All actions were taken.
    • 13/01/15 To receive a report on improvements made to the Recreation Ground car park lighting. Lighting has been successfully installed. Item closed.
    • 12/10/16 To agree an application to the Resilient Communities Fund. It was agreed to apply to the fund for a pump, generator and tree cutting equipment (as necessary) when the fund re-opens.  It was pointed out that proper Health and Safety notices will have to accompany any equipment. Item closed.
  3. Village hall redevelopment
    • To receive an update on the progress of the working party and fundraising. It was reported that the leaflet has gone out and businesses are being contacted for donations. There has been a delay with West Waddy in tender documents coming out. It was reported that the application for loan sanction has been submitted.
  4. Recreation Ground
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update from the PC representative on the BVCIC. MP not present. A meeting took place with CBG about the Clubhouse heating and plant room but no further response has been received. Action: Clerk to contact CBG re the Clubhouse. Concern has been expressed about the future of the cricket club.
  5. Planning & Housing
    • 12/11/14 To receive an update on speculative approaches. The response from Thames Water re the withdrawal of the condition for Chailey House drainage was mention. Evidence of flooding in the village including the Almshouses and Ladycroft Park will be sent in to Thames Water. Action: CL to draft a response an initial response to Thames Water and the Vale. MB and Alan Cooper to help draft a full response to Thames Water. JG to write a piece for the Bulletin to ask for evidence of flooding.
    • To receive the planning committee report. See Annex D for the planning report.
    • To approve responses to current applications

P16/V2290/FUL Blewbury Methodist Church, Chapel Lane. Full planning application for the change of use from place of worship (class D1) to one bedroom residential dwelling (class C3), including demolition and rebuilding of rear extension. The provision of a single parking space and associated works.

Although CL had no pecuniary interest in this application, he had historical links with the chapel and therefore did not take part in the final discussion or decision regarding the response.

Blewbury PC has no objections to this application.

P16/V2490/HH Farthings, Bessels Way. Proposed ground floor rear extension. Proposed first floor rear extension.

Blewbury PC has no objections to this application

Planning Appeal Consultation – P16/V0778/DA – BLE. 1 Downside, Westbrook Street.

This appeal is now subject to a public enquiry. The PC deemed it not necessary to send in more information as they were consulted during the planning phase and the response would be on record.

  1. Finance & Administration
    • To approve payments to be made under ancillary powers and within budgeted amounts

 

 

Description Amount
E de Ridder (salary and expenses) £988.69
D Hollick (salary and expenses) £558.06
NEST (pension contribution) £61.66
BT Payment Services Ltd £25.44
Biffa Waste Services Ltd £71.04
White Horse Horticulture £340.00
PWLB £4,995.00
Blewbury Hall Executive Management Committee £300.00
Post Office Ltd (PAYE & NI) £563.99
Nick Hammond £520.00
TOTAL                            £8,282.38

 

All payments were approved.

 

  1. To receive an update about allotments and rental income. CL reported that he has spoken to Tony Salter about the allotment uptake. The lease expires April 2018. No further action need to be taken at this time.
  2. To receive an update on any issues relating to Footways, Footpaths, rights of way and open spaces.
    • To receive an update about additional litter bin for Bessels Way. Nothing to report. Action: JG to follow up with Waste Team about new bin. Clerk to order new bin. It was mentioned that dog walkers are putting dog waste in green bins along Pilgrims Way. This contaminates the recycling. Action: JG to put a note in the Bulletin about dog waste in recycling bins.
    • To receive an update on the DMMO application. JG completed the application. Action: Clerk to check and send off DMMO forms. It was mentioned that paperwork has been received re the Pilgrims Way DMMO. A local enquiry will be held on 30th March 2017 in Upton. Action: Clerk to circulate the paperwork re the Pilgrims Way DMMO.

It was mentioned that the Bridus Way notice of closure has been extended until the conclusion of the work to the Chailey Gardens development.

A quote for resurfacing the Savages footpath was received for £8600. TOE2 grants will be investigated. Action: Clerk to find out when Community Infrastructure Levies (CIL) start and how to apply. JG to contact AM-J and TOE2 re Savages footpath. Clerk to contact Kevin Barlow for a specified quote.

  1. To receive an update on any issues relating to roads, road safety and public transport.
    • To receive an update re the bus stop meeting. A meeting took place with the transport rep, Thames Travel and Highways to discuss the new bus stop on Bessels Way. Thames Travel requested the new bus stop. Highways felt that the ideal position would be on the boundary between Hillview and the new property next to it to move it away from the Bessels Lea junction. Action: Clerk to respond to David Bellchamber re “Bessels Lea” query. Hillview residents have complained about the position. (See Correspondence item). It was mentioned that the PC would be asked for the agreed grant for the Friday bus in due course.

Concern was expressed that the current school bus service from Blewbury does not arrive on time for children attending UTC. Action: Clerk to contact the transport rep re the bus timetable for UTC children

Speeding and damage to cars on A417 was mentioned again. Action: MJ to follow up on emails between Stewart Lilly and the Police re speeding on the A417. MJ to investigate more traffic calming options.

  1. To receive an update on the plan of action for the Tickers Folly Community Orchard. Nothing to report.
  2. Village Hall Management Committee. To receive an update from the VHMC. Nothing to report.
  3. Risk Management
    • 14/09/16 To receive suggestions for the annual review of village upkeep requirements. Nothing to add to the plan.
    • 14/09/16 To receive and agree the quote for 3 year grass cutting contract. White Horse Horticulture’s quote has not increased since 2013 apart from a modest adjustment to the two months when the grass is left to grow longer in order for wild flowers to seed. The Parish Council felt this was good value for money and there was no need for competitive quotes. White Horse Horticulture was again appointed for 3 years. It was further agreed that the finance committee should look at the possibility to include additional funds for “top up” grass cutting where the County Council fail to meet their regular obligations. Action: Clerk to send lengthman a copy of the county grass cutting scheme/map.
    • 12/10/16 To review the Parish Council Freedom of Information publication scheme. The review is under way. Action: Clerk and CL to review the accessibility of the publication scheme and FOI.

 

  1. Correspondence
    • Items requesting a reply & consultations
      • Complaint re bus stop outside Hillview. Details of the exchanges of emails and complaint were shared with the PC. No-one was aware of a petition against the fence and if there was one, it would not have been done with the backing of the PC. The siting of the bus stop was not the responsibility of the PC either and the residents were advised to contact Highways.
      • Precept referendum – technical consultation. CL submitted the PC’s response.
    • Items for information that have been circulated
      • OALC update. Noted.
      • North Wessex Downs AONB Annual Forum 2016. Noted.

Items too late for the agenda:

  • Didcot Garden Town. LI to attend
  • Autumn Vale of White Horse Town and Parish Forum, 10 November 2016. CL to attend.
  1. Any other business. Exceptionally to deal with business received too late for inclusion in agenda.

It was mentioned that it is intended to arrange another informal meeting with Beeswax.

  1. To set the date of the next meeting. The next meeting of the Parish Council is on 9th November 2016.

 

Meeting closed 21h32

******** 

Annex A – County Councillor’s report

REPORT TO PARISH COUNCILS OCTOBER 2016

FROM CLLR STEWART LILLY

GENERAL OCC REPORT

UNITARY DEBATE

The report commissioned by OCC from Grant Thornton suggested a single unitary council but with some decision making devolved to different parts of the county based on the current boundaries of the five district and city councils. A recent meeting of OCC’s Performance Scrutiny Committee saw County Councillors from across All Political Parties interested in exploring this option further – and the OCC Cabinet has now agreed to do that. The key features are:

  • A strategic unitary council with overall responsibility for determining a framework of delegation of powers, policy and budget.
  • Constitutionally established area boards from the newly elected councillors reflecting the administrative boundaries of the current city and district councils exercising these delegated powers and budgets.

This model is still a single unitary, but builds on existing strengths and familiar geography. At this stage it is just an option that OCC is keen to explore further while acknowledging that there needs to be detailed and realistic negotiation in the weeks ahead with Districts & City.

GRANT SCHEME LAUNCHED FOR OPEN-ACCESS CHILDREN’S SERVICES

A £1m start-up fund has been launched by OCC to help community groups develop and deliver open-access children’s services. Local solutions for open-access provision – such as ‘stay-and-play’ – will complement a comprehensive new service for 0-19-year-olds across Oxfordshire. This ensures the most vulnerable children are protected and that families who need extra help are identified at an early stage. As part of OCC’s continuing investment in early intervention, and in addition to the £1m fund, new teams of ‘locality workers’ will advise and support community groups delivering open-access sessions – as well as other universal services such as schools, health and early years providers. Council-funded open access provision will continue to be offered at the new children and family centres, and other buildings as part of the new 0-19 service from next year.

CHANGES AT PROPERTY & FACILITIES

Since taking over the Property & Facilities portfolio in May, Cabinet member Lorraine Lindsay-Gale has been working with Bev Hindle, our Acting E&E Director, to bring about some fundamental changes to the way OCC works and manages property resources. A ‘placed based planning’ system will be introduced that involves Councillors right from the start, taking advantage of their local knowledge on potential development/income opportunities should Unitary proposals go forward..

HOUSING PLANS FOR OXFORD CITY REJECTED BY SODC

Plans to build thousands of homes to deal with Oxford City’s housing crisis were sadly rejected by South Oxfordshire District Council (SODC) when the Oxfordshire Growth Board, made up of all the council leaders, met in September to approve plans to deal with the city’s housing need identified in a 2014 report. The Oxfordshire Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA) said neighbouring councils needed to provide 14,850 houses to help Oxford cope with its increasing demand. Oxford would look to build another 550 houses, while Cherwell would contribute 4,400, Vale of White Horse 2,200, West Oxfordshire 2,750, and South Oxfordshire would build 4,950. However, SODC’s leader left the meeting. Therefore, a majority decision was agreed.

STEVENTON RAILWAY BRIDGE

Many of you will recall that over recent years this important bridge has been a major engineering problem at the centre of Network Rails (NR) electrification plans. NR has now met with the local Parish Council, myself and OCC officers. Ed Vaizey is also taking a close interest. As the bridge is actually a listed building, built in 1837; it obviously was built for use by the then horses and carts that traversed it, not the 40 ton large commercial vehicles, etc. that currently  are able to use it.

Cllr Stewart Lilly

**********************************************************

Annex B

Lengthman’s Report

September 2016

Footpaths

In good condition all round.

Barriers removed at the end of FP 24 as requested.

Cemetery

No issues except a few more graves need turfing this autumn.

TFF, & Car Park

Car Park- awaiting grant.

TFF- No issues

Play Areas

KAP- no issues

TFF- Still needs some remedial work to earthworks on several pieces of equipment.

Skate Park- This has had a thorough clean and been re-painted with wood preserver as recommended by Rob our expert.

Recreation Ground

Usual problems with rubbish and lack of maintenance generally. Also the Cricket Club seem to leave all their mowers and other equipment all over the place instead of using the storage shed provided.

Buildings

No issues

Equipment

All ok at present but will need some maintenance during the winter months. Servicing etc.

**************************************************************************

Annex C

Planning report for Parish Council  – October 2016

Planning Applications

All Blewbury planning applications, decisions and Parish Council responses, including items under consideration, can be found in the ‘Parish’ section of the Blewbury website
(http://blewbury.co.uk/parish/planning/), which is updated once a week. Links are also provided to the main Vale Planning site, where full details can be obtained.

Responses from the Parish Council:

P16/V2290/FUL                 Methodist Church, Chapel Lane

Change of use from place of worship (class D1) to one bedroom residential dwelling (class C3), including demolition and rebuilding of rear extension. Provision of a single parking space and associated works.

Parish Council has no objections

P16/V2490/HH   Farthings, Bessels Way

Proposed ground floor rear extension. Proposed first floor rear extension.

Parish Council has no objections

Decisions from the District Council:

P16/V2099/FUL and P16/V2100/LB            Ashbrook House, Westbrook Street (Amended 30/08/16) Construction of a reception and storage building to serve existing serviced let apartments. Relocation of 2no parking spaces

GRANTED

Enquiries regarding planning in the parish may be sent to blewburypc@gmail.com