You may have heard by now that we were badly let down by our builders pulling out on the very day they were due to start work. We can only apologise, particularly to all our donors and supporters, and we are grateful to them for continuing to support the project.
It is now clear that the market price for the work is more than we can afford and we are in the process of reviewing all the options to reduce costs before re-tendering the job.
We are still aiming to complete the refurbishment next year and it may be that, in the light of the delay to phase 1, we complete the whole project in one go. We won’t make that decision until we are clear about the revised scope, price and progress on raising the money.
We have over £230,000 in the bank or firmly pledged and another £85,000 previously granted, which we will either need to re-apply for or have re-confirmed, once our revised plans are clear. We still then need to raise another £200,000. The progress we have made and the money raised so far give us a strong platform for the further grant applications we need to make. We’re grateful for the personal donations which are still being made and we have had a number of brilliant ideas and offers of help for fundraising events.
We are disappointed that phase 1 is not progressing as we expected, but all the planning done and money raised so far put us in a strong position to keep the project as a whole on track. Steve White