Skip to content

Blewbury Parish Council Minutes 13th November 2019

Minutes of the Blewbury Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 13th November 2019 at 7.30pm in the Vale Room of the Village Hall.

In attendance:- Cllrs C Lakeland (Chair/CL), V Humphries (VH), J Gibson (JG), M Shayler (MS), M Penington (MP), C Cameron (CC), Miss E Cooper (Clerk/EC), Mr D Hollick (Lengthman/DH), District Councillor S Medley, Mrs L Inglis

  1. To receive apologies for absence

Cllr M Jacobs, County Cllr M Fox-Davies

  1. To record any declarations of interests relating to this meeting

Cllr M Shayler (payment), Cllr M Penington (Cleve)

  1. To Co-opt a Councillor to the Parish Council

After advertising in the appropriate manner, the council unanimously agreed to co-opt Mrs Lydia Inglis to the council. Mrs Inglis completed her Declaration of Acceptance of Office and Register of Members’ Interests forms.

  1. To receive the County Councillor’s report

Cllr M Fox-Davies’ report was received and distributed prior to the meeting. See Appendix B below.

  1. To receive District Councillor’s report

Cllr S Medley’s report was received and distributed prior to the meeting. See Appendix C below.

  1. To receive the Lengthman’s report (see Appendix A below)

DH was asked & agreed to cost the repair of the barrier on London Road, if all else failed.

DH requested for a volunteer to empty bins while he is away in December. CC & JG volunteered. DH to provide a bin schedule.

  1. Open Forum

No members of the public were present at the meeting.

  1. To approve previous minutes

Minutes of the BPC meeting 09.10.19 were approved and signed by the chair with no amendments.

  1. To report on Outstanding Actions from previous meetings and any matters arising

Confirm whether actions are cleared, carried forward or cancelled.

No. Actions arising from previous meetings Target Date
6 MS to investigate & see if there is a short-term solution to pot holes in Heather Way. October

 

10 Cllr MF-D to send details of cycle path links to Clerk ASAP
12 Cllr MF-D to follow up on wooden barrier gap on London Road & confirm ownership with Highways ASAP
No. Actions arising from September meeting Target Date
6. CL to write to CIC Trustees and encourage them to engage a contractor to solve waste pipe problem. Ongoing
7. CL to speak to the tennis club regarding their plan for disabled parking, once the plan is received. CL awaiting a response. Ongoing
14. CL to speak to Cllr M F-D re purchase/sharing of speed watch equipment Ongoing
No. Actions Arising from October Meeting Target Date
1 Cllr MF-D to find out if funding is available for Community Action Groups, working on (for example) climate emergency initiatives. Dec meet
2 Cllr MF-D to investigate repairs to the damage to bollards/street furniture at the entrance to Bridus Way/Chailey Gardens/White’s Orchard. Dec meet
               6 Purchase of bin for play space at village hall – EC to confirm purchase. Dec meet.
11 MP to confirm details of water monitoring stick for Cleve. ASAP

 

  1. Village hall refurbishment

The village hall refurbishment committee and the PC are awaiting preferred tender recommendations from Ridge.

  1. Recreation Ground

10.1 To receive an update on the Clubhouse

CL reported that following a meeting regarding the administration of the clubhouse, it was clear this needed closer attention & CL would monitor, together with arranging a meeting with CIC to discuss. JG offered to help with the invoicing side.

10.2 To receive an update on the recreation ground

A quote had been received for work on the lime trees at TFF. This quote was unanimously accepted by the council for work to commence in spring 2020.

  1. Planning & Housing

11.1 To receive the planning committee report

11.2 To approve responses to current applications

11.2.1 P19/V2468/HH Grove House, Bessels Way,                                        Blewbury.  Construction of freestanding timber clad garden                    building.  Deadline 12 noon 06.11.19.

BPC no objections was submitted by the deadline and                                 ratified at this meeting.

11.2.2 P19/V2595/LB Curtoys, Westbrook Street,                                        Blewbury

Demolition of a single storey previous extension and                                    garage.  Erection of a two storey extension and a new                                  detached garage. Deadline 12 noon 23.11.19

BPC no objections to this application.

  1. Finance & Administration

12.1 To receive an update on CIL or S106 contributions and                      approve planned expenditure.

12.1.1 Skate park refurbishment – now November 2019

12.2 To receive an update on financial arrangements

12.2.1 Online banking – change of bank update

The Clerk reported that online banking with the new Lloyds Bank account was set up. The next step was to close the Santander deposit account and move funds to the Santander current account (action CL). The Clerk could then ask Lloyds to engage the switching service to close the Santander current account and move funds and payments to Lloyds. The expectation is that next month all payments should be made online through Lloyds Bank, with all payees set up by the Clerk.

12.2.2 Quarterly budget update

BPC spend against budget figures to the end of October were provided to council ahead of the meeting.

12.3 To approve payments to be made under ancillary powers and within budgeted amounts

PAYEE Description / Power to spend Amount
E Cooper / D Hollick Clerk & Lengthman’s salary and expenses for October £1093.87
NEST Clerk’s pension DD October £69.43
HMRC PAYE Clerk & Lengthman payment October £270.00
Biffa Waste Services Ltd Waste services DD October £75.79
Whitehorse Horticulture One cut of Churchyard and Play Close (September) £180.00
Lister Wilder

Engine oil & flex

Delivery charge

£30.06

£19.20

£49.26

SSE

Scout Hut electricity DD

Clerk’s note:- DD set up 5.11.19. Payment to be taken 22.11.19

£45.11
BT Clubhouse line rental DD October £33.00
BVHEMC 3rd Quarter grant payment £300.00
Shayler Concrete Pumping

Cost of gravel for TFF car park, purchased from Grundon Sand& Gravel.

It was noted that this amount was incorrect. MS to provide invoice with correct amount for payment.

       £47.91
Total £2116.46

 

Major Receipts August 2019 Description Amount
Nov Ashes grave 2nd burial £44.00
Nov Burial £210.00
Tennis Club Insurance share £66.87
VHEMC Insurance share £2538.30
Total £2859.17

 

Barclays Payments Description Amount
23.10.19 Continued professional services for the refurbishment design & preparation.

£600.00

 

 

  1. Risk Management

13.1 To receive an update on TFF Play Space – no update.

13.2 GDPR – to receive an update on GDPR  – no update.

13.3 To discuss necessary actions regarding trees in the village for which the PC is responsible

13.3.1 Lime trees work quote from Broomfield see 10.2 above.

13.3.2 Update from CL on village trees

CL reported that 32 Leylandii trees were in good condition and             that 15-20 other tree were not on the tree register. This gives a             total of c60 trees for which the PC is responsible. Further                         consideration needs to be given to a full inspection in terms of                cost & a possible tender exercise. CL to obtain initial quotes                    (Jenks / Jethro) to establish potential costs.

  1. To receive an update on any issues relating to the Environment

14.1 To receive a report on the recent Sustainable Blewbury                   meeting CL reported that Sustainable Blewbury were to take                 over on the Climate Action Group and would network with other        groups for a greater range of ideas.

14.2 To receive an update on the OxCam Expressway

LI had copied a letter from J Howells (?) to CL, which expressed             his misgivings with the road &  associated builds.

14.3 To receive an update on the OGB & ONPA

LI reported that a meeting had taken place with the Director                   indicating they could be involved in trying to help with the joint             statutory spatial plan for Oxfordshire. LI awaits further updates.         Also to organise a workshop between officers from the Vale,                  OGB & ONPA to establish why neighbourhood plan policies are            not being adhered to across the board.

14.4 To acknowledge the receipt of an email and consider any further response to the report commissioned by Mrs J Smith on the condition of the Cleve.

CL suggested that riparian owners of the Cleve & interested parties should meet to find a solution to move forward. CL would respond to Mrs Smith’s latest email. Potential names were put forward as potential interested parties.

  1. To receive an update on any issues relating to Footways, Footpaths, rights of way and open spaces

15.1 To receive an update on barrier repair on London Road

See action points above.

15.2 To agree a date for footpath gravel laying for this year in the         village (post BVS leaf clearance).

15.2.1 9am on 30th November was agreed.

15.2.2 MS was asked & agreed to investigate the need for                           hardcore/gravel to temporarily repair the 30 metre stretch                     of footpath at Bridus Mead. It was noted that the                                             installation  of bollards at this point was not permitted in                           order to restrict vehicular access.

15.2.3 MB suggested footpaths (FP24, Bridus Way, Watery                      Lane, Chapel footpath) required additional gravel. To be                              actioned 30.11.19, meet 9am at the Chapel.

15.2.4 JG agreed to add gravel laying information to the                             bulletin, together with a request for residents to cut back                         foliage fronting village roads.

15.3 To discuss the village salt bin situation for this winter.

JG agreed to monitor this salt levels in the bins, but for the                       moment quantities were sufficient.

  1. To receive an update on any issues relating to roads, road safety and public transport

16.1 To discuss the conditions of local roads and decide on any                course of action – none.

16.3 To receive an update on the Blewbury Speed Watch group

CL has arranged to visit Hanney PC w/b 18th November to see               their speed watch equipment.

  1. Village Hall Management Committee. To receive an update from the VHMC (if available)
  2. Correspondence

18.1 Items requesting a reply & consultations – none.

18.2 Items for information that have been circulated

18.2.1 To confirm result of 20mph speed limit investigation

The PC unanimously agree that the costs to put this in place                    were prohibitive, so no further action at this time.

18.2.2 To open discussion on VE Day 8-10 May 2020

The PC agreed this was not a PC only responsibility. Clerk                        to forward information to other organisations in the village.

  1. To set the date of the next meeting of the PC

Wednesday 11th December 2019 7.30pm

 

Action Points from this meeting

No. Action When
1 OCC Highways officer – EC to call re barrier + Dec meet
2 DH to cost the repair of the barrier on London Road, if all else failed. Dec meet
3 CC & JG volunteered to empty bins while DH away in December. DH to provide a bin schedule. Dec meet
4 JG agreed to add gravel laying information to the bulletin, together with a request for residents to cut back foliage fronting village roads ASAP
5 CL to write to property owners of Farnworth House to establish if prepared to claim for barrier repair on insurance. Dec meet
6 MS to investigate the need for hardcore/gravel to temporarily repair the 30 metre stretch of ground at Bridus Mead Dec meet
7 CL to write to riparian owners of the Cleve & interested parties & arrange a meeting to find a solution to move forward. ASAP
8 CL to arrange a meeting with CIC to discuss all current arrangements in running the Clubhouse. ASAP
9 CL to arrange closure of the Santander deposit account with transfer of funds to the Santander current account. ASAP
10 Clerk to arrange for Lloyds to switch current account from Santander to themselves. Dec meet
11 Clerk to pass VE Day details to other village groups for their information Dec meet

 

Appendix A – Lengthman’s Report October 2019

A relatively quiet month with little grass cutting but all the hedges have been cut and are looking good with thick growth.

The Recreation Ground and Tickers Folly Field are looking good.

Play areas have been well used, especially over half term, and are in good condition.

All equipment is working well. I will be servicing them all over the winter months.

I have chased up Radiramps about the refurbishment of the skateboard area. Rob tells me they have been delayed by wet weather but promise to do the work in November.

Cemetery still has to have some work on sunken graves. Hopefully I can get this done this month weather permitting.

David.

 

APPENDIX B

REPORT TO BLEWBURY PARISH COUNCIL NOVEMBER 2019

FROM CLLR MIKE FOX-DAVIES

County council backs proposals for integrated health and social care system Proposals for a new ‘integrated care system’ (ICS) for Oxfordshire designed to improve health and social care services were welcomed by the county council’s Cabinet. The new joined-up health and care system will also cover Buckinghamshire and Berkshire West. A draft of the five-year plan for an integrated care system has been published and is due to be submitted to NHS England in November. In the draft plan, the NHS and local authorities in the three areas have committed to planning health and care services around individual needs. Health and care organisations will work collectively to help people enjoy better health by focusing on preventing illness and improving care for those who need it.

The principle of ‘local first’ has been established, with community-run services a vital part of the integrated care system. GP practices will become part of ‘primary care networks’ that serve communities of around 30-50,000 people. By working together, GP practices will offer access to a wide range of local services, such as NHS and social services, as well as services provided by voluntary groups.

These care networks will also be part of larger ‘integrated care partnerships’ – one for each of the three county areas, including Oxfordshire. The partnerships will join up local hospital and mental health services with council and community services.

Oxfordshire backs ambitious regional transport and connectivity plan

Oxfordshire County Council has endorsed the development of a strategy which sets out a vision for a regional zero-carbon transport network by 2050. England’s Economic Heartland is currently engaging on the first stage of a region-wide strategy which sets out a vision for the development and investment in ‘connectivity’ – the ability to travel and communicate – across an area which stretches between Swindon and Cambridgeshire.

The strategy will be out for full public consultation in 2020 and will set out the region’s strategic infrastructure needs to both Government and the private sector.

Oxfordshire communities invited to bid for £1m fund to provide youth services Voluntary and community organisations are being invited to bid for a share of Oxfordshire County Council’s new £1m Youth Opportunity Fund. The fund is aimed at groups that can provide activities and opportunities for young people between the ages of 11-18, and 11-25 with special educational needs.

Feedback from Oxfordshire residents points to strong support for improving community-run youth services. This new fund is available to help existing projects expand and new ones get started. Grants of up to £70,000 are available. 

Minerals and waste sites approved in a draft plan for consultation

The county council has a statutory duty to prepare a new Oxfordshire Minerals and Waste Local Plan to replace the existing Minerals and Waste Local Plan, which was adopted in 1996.

Public consultation on site options took place in 2018, which covered all the minerals and waste sites that had been nominated for possible inclusion within the Site Allocations Plan.

Following site assessments by council-appointed consultants and a review by council officers, a list of preferred sites was produced which is now included in the draft plan for consultation, none of which is in our area.

Health and care providers working together to manage winter pressures

Health and social care professionals from across Oxfordshire, including hospitals, GPs, social services, ambulance services, mental health services and charities will be working together to deliver responsive and joined-up services throughout the winter season.

Winter is a high-pressure season for health and social care services, with the colder temperatures and harsher weather conditions leading to increased demands on GPs and Emergency Departments as flu season begins.

By building on last year’s collaborative working, the system-wide team will help provide safe, effective, and sustainable care for people across Oxfordshire.  The team will also work to improve quality and performance of emergency and urgent care in the area.

The key messages of the campaign include:

  • People are urged to have a winter plan for themselves and their family so that they know what they need to do to keep as well as possible, what they can do if they become unwell, and how they can look after their elderly neighbours who may not be able to look after themselves.
  • GP practices will contact those patients eligible for the free flu jab to attend vaccination clinics which are taking place over the next few months in Oxfordshire. The flu vaccine is an effective way for people to keep well and healthy over winter.

If people are worried about an urgent medical concern over the winter period, they are advised to call 111 to speak to fully trained advisors available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

 

APPENDIX C

Blewbury Parish Council – Wednesday 13th November 2019

Report from District Councillors

Cllr Hayleigh Gascoigne and Cllr Sarah Medley

General Election 2019

Information from the Vale of White Horse District Council website on voting in the upcoming General Election:

Register to vote – to vote in the General Election on 12 December 2019 you must be registered to vote at your current address by Tuesday 26 November. Register to vote at https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Postal voting – If you wish to vote by post in the General Election on 12 December 2019 (or to alter the details of an existing postal vote) then we must receive your application by 5pm on Tuesday 26 November. For more information visit www.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/services-and-advice/local-democracy/elections/how-vote/voting-post

Proxy voting – If you’re unable to vote in person on polling day, you can appoint someone to vote on your behalf – this is called a proxy vote. If you wish to vote by proxy in the General Election on 12 December 2019, then we must receive your application by 5pm on Wednesday 4 December. If you wish to apply for a postal proxy vote we must receive your application by 5pm on Tuesday 26 November. For more information visit www.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/services-and-advice/local-democracy/elections/how-vote/voting-proxy

Pumpkins and extra garden waste

Hallowe’en usually means lots of leftover pumpkins at the start of November. Any that can’t be used in cooking or composting can be collected by the bin crews if left next to the food waste bin. Residents who are signed up for brown bin collections can put out twice as much garden waste for one week – crews will collect the equivalent of one extra bin’s worth of garden waste (around three large bin bags) during the week commencing 11 November. Residents should leave their extra garden waste out in bin liners or sacks beside their brown bins on their usual collection day during these weeks. Trade waste bags cannot be accepted.

Police and Crime Panel vacancy

Thames Valley Police is looking for a community-minded person to serve as a co-opted member on the Police and Crime Panel. It is an important and demanding role with members expected to work on average one day per month and to attend a minimum of six meetings each year. This is an unpaid role but travel expenses can be reclaimed. The closing date for applications is 22nd November 2019. For more information, please contact Khalid Ahmed on 01494 732725 or email contact@thamesvalleypcp.org.uk.

Have your say on a new homelessness strategy for the Vale of White Horse

Last year, thanks to our strong focus on prevention, early intervention and access to sustainable accommodation, we helped more than 1,000 households avoid homelessness. We are now asking people for their views on a new strategy to address homelessness and rough sleeping. Anyone who would like to view the draft strategy and submit their comments should visit https://survey.southandvale.gov.uk/s/Homelessness2019/ before 5pm on Monday 25 November 2019. If you have any questions about this consultation or require it in an alternative format, please email haveyoursay@southandvale.gov.uk or call 01235 422425.

An opportunity for communities in Oxfordshire to influence the Oxfordshire Growth Board

The Oxfordshire Growth Board is made up of leaders from the county’s district, city and county councils, and non-local authority members from various partners in the county such as the NHS, Oxford Brookes and Oxford University, the Local Enterprise Partnership (OXLEP) and the Environment Agency. It focuses on strategic planning, economic District Councillor Report Blewbury Parish Council Wednesday 13th November 2019 development and sustainable growth. By working together in partnership, the Board is able to oversee large-scale projects across the county that benefit our communities, while also securing millions of pounds in Government funding to help improve people’s lives. The survey asks for feedback on all aspects of the Growth Board, from how it is perceived, its priorities and membership, to how the board communicates and the format of its meetings. Residents and community groups can take part in the survey via the Oxfordshire Growth Board website here: oxfordshiregrowthboard.org. The closing date for comments is 5pm on 26 November 2019.

Join the Independent Renumeration Panel for Councillors’ Allowances

Vale of White Horse and South Oxfordshire district councils are looking for volunteers to join a joint panel to help set councillors’ allowances. The Independent Remuneration Panel for councillors’ allowances consists of up to five members of the public who help determine how much money councillors from both councils receive for their time, while also giving value for money. Previous panellists have included members of the police, business community, also a theatre manager, pilot and vet. Successful candidates need to attend two or three meetings before the end of 2019 and would expect to be part of the panel until September 2023, although after the initial review of allowances in 2019, there is very little extra work. The role is voluntary however travelling expenses can be paid.

The closing date for applications is 29 November 2019. Download an application pack here

For more information, email paul.bateman@southandvale.gov.uk or call 01235 422523.

Safe Places

Even more locations across South and Vale are now signed up as ‘Safe Places’, these are venues where people can go and receive assistance if they are feeling confused, anxious, abused or harassed while out in the community. The scheme is already available in Abingdon and all four market towns in South Oxfordshire. Now all of our leisure centres are registered as Safe Places, with trained staff available to help if someone requires assistance, as well as 16 shops, cafes and community venues in Faringdon, Wantage and Grove. You can find out where the safe places are by visiting safeplaces.org.uk/member-schemes. Participating venues can also be identified by the distinctive orange and yellow Safe Places sticker in their window.

‘Don’t Disappear’ Video: Raising awareness of relationship abuse

The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) has launched a video ‘Don’t Disappear’ to raise awareness of relationship abuse. ‘Don’t Disappear’ tells the story of Jamie and Emma; from the seemingly loving early stages of their relationship, to the development of coercive and controlling behaviours such as jealousy and possessiveness, control, love bombing and isolation. While anyone of any age can be a victim of coercive control, it is important to promote this to younger people who may have less relationship experience and people who are at the beginning of a relationship. The aim of the video is to raise awareness of the red flags – the early signs of coercive control which at the time, may be missed or misinterpreted as acceptable behaviour in a relationship. The video can be found at https://youtu.be/d6rt8w5HBWw

Sovereign Housing relocation

Sovereign Housing Association, who have nearly 8,000 affordable homes in the county, have let us know that from 2021, they will be moving offices from Abingdon and East Hanney to a new hub in Greenham near Newbury. This is because Sovereign has seen a reduction in numbers visiting their local offices, with more people opting to access services via the phone or online. They have reassured their tenants that they will still working in the community and will continue to make home visits or meet tenants locally. If you have any queries about this move please contact Phil Ealey, our Housing Needs Manager, or call him on 01235 422456.

£10,000 available for festivals and events

We still have £10,000 available in our festival and events grant scheme, which is open until 28 February 2020.

Ideal for any local Christmas or New Year events, groups can apply now – their event will need to be open to the local community and allow at least 100 people to attend. You can find out more about the scheme on our website or by contacting the grants team via email or calling 01235 422405