Skip to content

Minutes of the Annual Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 10th May 2023 at 7.00pm in the Vale Room at the Blewbury Village Hall.

In attendance:-
Councillors Dermot Mathias (DM), Lydia Inglis (LI), Lee Robinson (LR), Mark Shayler (MS), Anne
Millman (AM), Jane Gibson (JG)
Lengthman David Hollick (DH)
District Councillors Hayleigh Gascoigne, Debra Dewhurst
One member of the public

1.     To elect a Chairman

Dermot Mathias was nominated, seconded & all were in favour of his appointment as Chairman of the Council.

2.     To elect a Vice-Chairman

Lydia Inglis was nominated, seconded & all were in favour of her appointment as vice-chairman of the Council.

3.     To complete Declaration of Acceptance of Office forms

All Councillors completed their Declaration of Acceptance of Office forms.

4.     To complete Register of Members Interests forms

All Councillors completed their Register of Members forms.

5. To discuss the Council’s three Councillor vacancies

Councillors had spoken to a number of interested people & the Chair would confirm appointments at the next meeting.

6. To confirm all Committees & Committee members currently existing for the Council

6.1 Finance – members DM & LR (with a third member to be confirmed)

6.2 HR – Council agreed to rename this Committee Personnel. Members DM & LI

6.3 Clubhouse – members DM & JG, with input from I Bacon on behalf of the Cricket Club

6.4 Cob Wall – member LI

7.   To receive apologies for absence

E Cooper (Clerk), County Councillor S Povolotsky

8.   To record any declarations of interests relating to this meeting


9.   To receive the County Councillor’s report

None this month.

     10. To receive District Councillor’s report

HG stated the draft local plan was expected in summer of 2024.

LI to start revising the Neighbourhood Development Policy.

11. To receive the Lengthman’s report

DH reported that mowing was taking up a great deal of his time currently. DH will speak to A Musson regarding a hedge cutting plan for the autumn.

12. Open Forum

Wendy Carless attended to represent Speed Watch and gave her report in person. No other members of the public were present.

13. To approve previous minutes & report on any matters arising

Minutes of the BPC meeting held on 12th April 2023

Council unanimously agreed the previous minutes to be a true record.

14. To hear the Planning Committee Report & Ratify/Agree Planning Responses


14.1 To agree the council’s response to the following consultations



14.2 To note planning permissions received during the month

14.2.1 P23/V3020/LB Charity School House, Church Road, Blewbury

LB consent 24.04.23


14.2.2 P23/V0341/HH 21 Bridus Mead, Blewbury

Planning permission 13.04.23


15.    To hear an update on Finance & Administration (reported by the Clerk in advance of the meeting)


15.1 Financial Updates

15.1.1 End of month reconciliation sent in advance of the meeting to the Chairman.

Agreed & signed by DM.


15.1.2 Lloyds Bank account funds as of 30.04.23 were £143,383.37

This sum includes reserves of:-

  • £21,909.51 remaining village hall refurb funds
  • £10,521.53 CIL funds. LI asked for more information on CIL money available to BPC. Clerk to investigate & report at next meeting.

Net funds available £110,952.53


15.1.3 April receipts include:-

– Precept £42,500

– VAT refund of £2506.40 Q4 22-23

– Donation of £1200 for the play areas from the BVS


15.2 Administrative updates


15.2.1 General Power of Competence

Council resolved unanimously to retain the General Power of Competence as it meets the criteria.


15.2.2 To hear an update on the internal & external audits

The Clerk reported in advance of the meeting:- Internal Audit

The Clerk was progressing the internal Audit, which had not as yet reached it’s conclusion. External Audit

  1.      BPC has been reclassified as an intermediate authority as it’s receipts during the year exceeded £200,000 (largely due to the remaining village hall refurb funds). This means additional records are required with the EA submission.

ii.To agree & sign off the Accounting Statements

Council agreed to & signed off the Annual governance Statement only at this point.


15.3 To agree authorisers for this month’s payments



15.4 To approve payments to be made under the general power of competence and within budgeted


In addition, Council agreed to a payment to Kit Davis for Cob Wall repairs in the sum of £180, & a payment of £1507.20 to QiK Group for the supply of two containers (containing kitchen & toilet     facilities), to enable users of the recreation group (ie Cricket Club) to provide facilities for their players & visitors.






E Cooper/D Hollick/

E Holroyd

Clerk, Lengthman & Hall Administrator salaries & expenses for April£2,479.23
HMRCPAYE Clerk, Lengthman, Hall Admin April£376.63
NEST DDClerk’s pension April£107.93
Biffa Waste Services Ltd DDWaste services May£123.84


BT DDClubhouse line rental May£46.53
Scottish Power DD (01.04.23)Clubhouse electricity£286.13


J NewmanClubhouse cleaning April£72.00
BHVEMCRoom Hire£67.25
HAGS-SMP LimitedParts for KAP equipment£42.00
DHPHReplacement pipe & parts for Scout Hut exterior£153.60
Walters Electrical ServicesInstallation of defib units*£396.00
PWLB DDPW497831 Clubhouse loan repayment£4312.50
GallagherTractor insurance*£145.56
EETop-up Clerk’s phone (debit card)*£30.00
VoWH DCUncontested election fee£200.00
SSE DDScout Hut electricity Q1 23-24£76.36
White Horse HorticultureOne cut of Pound, Play close & Churchyard£225.00

* Paid to be ratified





VHEMCHEH Salary Share£1680.25
VHEMCClubhouse receipts Jan-Mar23£485.00
VoWH DCPrecept first half£42,500.00
HMRCVAT Repay Q4 22-23£2506.40
BVSPlay Areas Donation£1200.00
M&J DidcockBurial Fees (Ling)£120.00

16.    To receive an update from VHEMC representative on village hall activities

DM updated Council on the progress with new agreements for the Post Office & the Doctor’s Surgery.

DM also confirmed that the BPC had issued a letter to the pending new Postmaster to support the appointment.


17.    To receive an update on the all things relating to the operation of the Clubhouse & the recreation ground


           17.1 Clubhouse

17.1.1 Remedial work

Revival are expected to remove all drying out equipment on 11th May & to issue a certificate of dryness in order for Worthys to begin remedial work.

Clerk’s note:- Certificate of dryness issued & remedial work started 15.05.23.

17.1.2 Art Weeks

Successfully held in the Melland room between 5th & 14th May.

17.1.3 Cricket club

i. Arrangements for season

Council agreed to the hire of two units (one kitchen & one toilet facilities) for a period of up to 12 weeks with effect from Friday 19.05.23, with a budget of £2,500. Specification to                         be provided to the Clerk for the order to be placed.

ii.Fees for 2023

Council agreed there would be no change to the fees for 2023.

iii.Revised agreement for 2023

Under review by DM & JG.

17.1.4 Any other updates on any aspect of the Clubhouse

A smart meter is due to be installed in the Plant Room of the Clubhouse on 24th May.


17.2 Recreation ground

17.2.1 Amazons football

No update

17.2.2 Cricket club

See 17.1.3 above. A memorial cricket match is booked for 8th July (not Blewbury Cricket Club). Council agreed the originators of this request must speak to the Blewbury Cricket             Club regarding use of the pitch.

17.2.3 Any other updates DM asked that the cleaner be advised of the need to clean the 2 containers. DH to speak to BlewShed regarding a date for the completion of the new bench.

18.    To receive an update on all aspects of TFF & car park


18.1 Play areas update (MS/DH)


18.2 Any other updates – Trim Trail/TFF/Car Park



19.    To receive an update on Risk Management & Compliance


19.1 Speed Watch update

Provided in advance of the meeting & circulated to Council. The Speed Watch group expressed their thanks to the Parish Council for their support & in particular to Lydia Inglis for all her hard work in pushing changes forward. The Speed Watch team is keen to attract new members who can spare a little time each month to help with Speed Watch activities.

19.2 Any update or information on risk management & compliance



20.   To receive an update on issues relating to the Environment


20.1 Information from Sustainable Blewbury (AM)

20.1.1 DH & A Musson to liaise over hedge cutting for the autumn.

20.1.2 Council agreed to fund the London Road hedge laying. AM to speak to A Musson.

20.2 Any other environmental issues



21.   To receive an update on any issues relating to footpaths, rights of way and open spaces


21.1 Parking on the Pound

Carried forward to June meeting.

21.2 Play Close Footpaths

Work is progressing on the upgrade of the footpaths.

21.3 Footpath gravelling

Council agreed to gravel the east & west footpaths leading from the Play Close. Council also agreed there was no other planned gravelling of footpaths for 2023 at the moment.

21.4 Any other updates on footpaths, rights of way and open spaces

JG to speak to the Clerk regarding overgrown frontage at Lyndon House.


22.   To receive an update on any outstanding consultations



23. Points raised for discussion at future meetings


23.1 DM & DH to look at a suitable location for a beech tree to be installed on TFF on behalf of L Farrell.

23.2 DM, AM & LI to meet with N James regarding trustee appointment to the Malthus Trust.


24. To agree the date/venue of the next meeting(s) of the Council

Next full council meeting will be on Wednesday 14th June at 7.00pm in the Vale Room in the Village Hall.



The meeting finished at 8.45pm


Appendix A


1.DH to speak to A Musson re hedge cutting plans for the autumn.C’fwd
2.AM & LI to meet with N James re Malthus Trust trustee appointmentASAP
3.DM & DH to find suitable location for beech tree on TFFASAP
4.AM to speak to A Musson regarding London Road hedge layingASAP
5.DH to speak to BlewShed re work on new benchASAP
6.Cleaner to be advised of cleaning requirements of new unitsASAP
7.Clerk to investigate CIL fundsJune meeting
8.LI to start revising Neighbourhood Development policyOngoing


2.MS to investigate the use of a temporary ‘site cabin’ at the recreation ground.Actioned
3.Clerk to arrange a meeting with BVGA to discuss allotment administration.C’fwd
4.HEH to forward email from surgery to DM.C’fwd
5.Clerk to check on alcohol licence holder for cricket club.Actioned
6.MS to confirm if any further work is required to secure table tennis table.C’fwd
8.LI to confirm final siting of SIDs on Bessels WayC’fwd
9.VH to issue notice on FB re installation of defib at the Blueberry.Actioned
10.Clerk to ask for Bulletin notice of installation of defib at the Blueberry.Actioned
11.MS to agree & arrange for a method of parking prevention on the Pound.C’fwd
12.MS to investigate possibility of installing steps in to TFF from Rubble Pit LaneTBC
14.AM to arrange Beeswax talk at future BPC meetingTBC
15.AM/LI to investigate where to plant wild flower areas.TBC